Armagh, an even bigger mess

Started by Dougal Maguire, March 26, 2023, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Walter Cronc

Rufus T Firefly

A few random points to make, with apologies to those also on the Orchard Fans forum, who will have heard these before. 

The whole issue of Geezer as manager seems to be becoming a major topic of discussion (again) within the County, with most people having a strong opinion on the matter and plenty supporting either side of the debate.

I have no doubt that almost any other manager would have been long gone by now if they had Geezer's record since starting. 

A lot of those calling for Geezer's head have a higher opinion of the abilities of our current County Senior Squad than I have. I would have Armagh in and around 8 - 10 in terms of the country, which places us towards the bottom of Division 1 / top of Division 2.

Many of those calling for Geezer's head appear to think that following an All Ireland quarter-final appearance and retention of Division 1 status last year, we should be progressing further this year. For me, it simply does not follow and my sense is that Armagh might have reached their level in 2022, i.e. a top 8 - 10 team.

Our Senior Team's fortunes rely heavily on some influential players who are now reaching veteran status. Murnin, Soupy, Forker and Grugan. I also get a sense that their continued buy in and commitment is down to Geezer's commitment to them as a man manager. I would have worries if Geezer was to go that those players - and others - might call it quits, which would be a significant blow to our fortunes. 

In the medium to longer term, I would fear for the future of our County Seniors. The standard of football is terrible in Armagh, and is accurately reflected in the fortunes of our Club Champions at Senior, Intermediate and Junior level and of our County Under 20 and Under 17 squads in Ulster. Last weekend, our Under 20s fell to yet another first round defeat whilst Tyrone were celebrating two underage All Ireland winning teams at Healy Park. The difference in terms of the pool of talent available is light years in distance. It could, and probably should, be argued that Geezer has Armagh boxing way above our weight at the moment.

I'd urge those calling for Geezer's head to be careful what you wish for.

seafoid

I would expect  Armagh to go further than Roscommon and Monaghan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2023, 02:40:15 PM

Further in what?

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

I'd say the 3 of us would be happy to reach the Quarter Finals and be competitive there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on April 01, 2023, 04:40:53 PM
I'd say the 3 of us would be happy to reach the Quarter Finals and be competitive there.

Indeed, to reach the QFs and draw one of the other!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Quote from: armaghniac on April 01, 2023, 05:13:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 01, 2023, 04:40:53 PM

Indeed, to reach the QFs and draw one of the other!

Absolutely. Seafóid seems to have a bee in his bonnet with Monaghan.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 01, 2023, 03:53:36 AM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on March 27, 2023, 01:30:32 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 26, 2023, 11:27:30 PM
Holy God,the sooner that robot McGeeney does the decent thing and buggers off, the better. A complete waste of space

A well reasoned and argued contribution,  backed up by analysis and facts, with some excellent insights into county management!
Well I think 1 Leinster U21 win in 16 years of county management is all the analysis and facts required. I think the fact that he's been in charge of the players that won the 2009 Minor All Ireland but has failed to win a single trophy is also worth taking into account.

"1 Leinster U21win in 16 years of county management is all the analysis and facts required" No its really not!
Don't care what he did or didn't do with Kildare.

Let's look at Armagh. His record in the Ulster championship is poor?
Has he had a team capable of winning an Ulster title?
Breaks my heart to say so but genuinely not.

How many of the current squad would make the team from 1999-2005?
Some would be squad players. No starters.

2009 minor team...how many are available to him. The 1992 minor finalists was in my humble opinion a far better team than the winning team of 2009.

When we were winning Ulster titles for fun and were serious All Ireland contenders we had 5/6 forwards ang one of whom was a match winner on their day.
Do we genuinely have 1 match winner in the squad now?

armaghniac

7th isn't too far off. We were relegated because of the Mayo easing up in the last game, we might have survived. It would hardly be a shock if we reach the quarter finals, but perhaps a surprise if we get past that stage.

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on April 01, 2023, 07:51:16 PM
7th isn't too far off. We were relegated because of the Mayo easing up in the last game, we might have survived. It would hardly be a shock if we reach the quarter finals, but perhaps a surprise if we get past that stage.

Before you lose the run of yourself. Mayo are Ranked 3!  ::)

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2023, 08:00:37 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 01, 2023, 07:51:16 PM

Before you lose the run of yourself. Mayo are Ranked 3!  ::)

Which is higher than Monaghan, I expect.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2023, 07:18:03 PM
Armagh are ranked 7th by oddschecker.

https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-senior-football-championship/winner

Not rankings but odds based on provincial championship draws.  Tyrone,Monaghan,Derry on the opposite side of the draw in Ulster.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose