Northern GP crisis

Started by RedHand88, December 02, 2022, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

I see another GP surgery in the north has handed in its contract. It will close unless a replacement GP can be found. That brings the total number of surgeries to at least 6 by my count in the last few months (Flax, Glen road, 2 in Ballymena, Trillick, Shantallow, there may be more im forgetting), with tens of thousands of people affected. This will then of course have a knock on effect for the surrounding surgeries who will have to take on these patients, compounding their own problems and stretching their resources.

My understanding is that its not a nice environment to work in. Growing waiting lists in the hospitals has led to people being managed by their GPs for years when they really should be under a consultant. This leads to a huge workload for the surgery and less time to deal with the day to day traditional GP stuff, leading to people being frustrated/angry and GPs getting fed up.

I cant remember the exact stat but a large percentage of GPs are over the age of 55. More and more young doctors choose to go into hospital instead. This is a ticking time bomb as GPs tend to retire before 65.
What do people think is the solution to this crisis? Do we have a recruitment problem?

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 02, 2022, 09:48:55 AM
I see another GP surgery in the north has handed in its contract. It will close unless a replacement GP can be found. That brings the total number of surgeries to at least 6 by my count in the last few months (Flax, Glen road, 2 in Ballymena, Trillick, Shantallow, there may be more im forgetting), with tens of thousands of people affected. This will then of course have a knock on effect for the surrounding surgeries who will have to take on these patients, compounding their own problems and stretching their resources.

My understanding is that its not a nice environment to work in. Growing waiting lists in the hospitals has led to people being managed by their GPs for years when they really should be under a consultant. This leads to a huge workload for the surgery and less time to deal with the day to day traditional GP stuff, leading to people being frustrated/angry and GPs getting fed up.

I cant remember the exact stat but a large percentage of GPs are over the age of 55. More and more young doctors choose to go into hospital instead. This is a ticking time bomb as GPs tend to retire before 65.
What do people think is the solution to this crisis? Do we have a recruitment problem?

There's a recruitment and retention problem with both doctors and nurses where once they're trained can earn far more either in the private sector or abroad, so why would they stay.

The Tory's have managed the NHS to this point deliberately to get the hybrid Public/Private healthcare system that they want.

There's already GP practices in England owned by Private US providers.

FermGael

Roslea and Lisnaskea in Fermanagh are also in similar positions
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Mario

I've been thankful for my private healthcare recently, got a 20 minute video call with a GP within the hour. Was unable to register for a GP anywhere in Belfast after recently moving here. I wouldn't be against a certain level of private healthcare if it improves the overall system as long as those that can't afford it get it for free. I've experienced this model in Canada and also in RoI and it's vastly superior to what is on offer from the NHS in NI.

RedHand88

I think people in the north have this taboo about paying for healthcare. It's even something unionists love to use as a stick to beat nationalists with on Irish unity.
I would rather pay a fee to see a GP instead of the current lottery with phone calls.

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 02, 2022, 10:28:30 AM
I think people in the north have this taboo about paying for healthcare. It's even something unionists love to use as a stick to beat nationalists with on Irish unity.
I would rather pay a fee to see a GP instead of the current lottery with phone calls.
Yeah wouldn't mind paying myself, if the decent care is there. Duality in Newry are worse than useless though.

tbrick18

The NHS in NI is not at breaking point, it is downright broken at all levels right now.
Doctors, nurses, GPs have so much pressure on them they can't cope and so are leaving their nhs jobs.
The private sector allows them to work with less pressure and get paid more....who wouldn't want that?

The tories have run the NHS ragged and NI being the distant relative was always going to finish up worse off than everywhere else.
I don't know what the answer is.
I'm lucky to have private healthcare for my family through work, something I probably couldn't afford myself.
Mrs. tbrick has recently had multiple surgeries through it, which on the nhs have a 5 year waiting list.

At the minute, any other system of national health care would, in my opinion, be better than what we have today in NI.

Mario

Yeah there is a definite taboo. I was thinking about it the other day and i can't bring my dog to the vet without handing over £50, i can't go to the Dentist without handing over at least £100 (can't get an NHS dentist so had to go private) but people are outraged at paying to see a GP. If it improves the service i'll pay. The other argument is it's only like this as Tories have cut funding, essentially forcing people to have the same view as me, which in fairness is probably working. The question now is if it is beyond the point of saving, i'd say probably.

Unionists can't use that stick anymore as the NHS is a complete shambles.

Armagh18

Quote from: Mario on December 02, 2022, 10:51:38 AM
Yeah there is a definite taboo. I was thinking about it the other day and i can't bring my dog to the vet without handing over £50, i can't go to the Dentist without handing over at least £100 (can't get an NHS dentist so had to go private) but people are outraged at paying to see a GP. If it improves the service i'll pay. The other argument is it's only like this as Tories have cut funding, essentially forcing people to have the same view as me, which in fairness is probably working. The question now is if it is beyond the point of saving, i'd say probably.

Unionists can't use that stick anymore as the NHS is a complete shambles.
They will though. And plenty of people will lap it up blindly

Milltown Row2

I've been working in a few different surgeries these last number of years and the differences is the number of GP's available, the GP that owns this one I'm at is in his late 60's, while fit and energetic surely you'd be looking to put the feet up and enjoy your retirement!

There is one locum doctor, he's there 3 days a week and working on private healthcare 2 days a week elsewhere, the 2 days elsewhere pays more than the 3 locum days, and locums are paid well enough

There is another doctor here, she's working 4 days

3 nurses, your general nurse and the other two have different qualifications and do a wee bit more I think

If you are paying someone better money with better conditions then you will not hang about a local GP practice

What state are we in health wise though that we need to be seeing our GPs so often?

People don't help themselves, bad lifestyle choices make up the brunt of GP appointments I'd guess, be interesting to know what a country like Denmark would be like for people attending surgeries

There are two counsellors that are in once a week on private work who are flat out and have said they could triple their workload if there was enough time in the day to do it...

If people were paying for it I don't think it would improve the waiting times TBH, as said above there is no one interested in doing it anymore, its not got the same title has it had maybe 30 or 40 years ago. Pay them more and encourage more people to do it, the amount of local students that have to go abroad to do medicine is one area they really need to look at. friends daughter had the qualifications to get into Queens and lost out at the interview, went to Newcastle and is now on the Gold coast, lost to another country!

Oh and how e have managed to turn this into a unionist thing is typical
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

There is a plan to open a medical school in Derry. This would increase the number of doctors generally, but would also increase the number of doctors associated with the area and some could become GPs.
Mind you, even if they manage to do this, it will be decade before it does any good. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 02, 2022, 10:40:39 AM
The NHS in NI is not at breaking point, it is downright broken at all levels right now.
Doctors, nurses, GPs have so much pressure on them they can't cope and so are leaving their nhs jobs.
The private sector allows them to work with less pressure and get paid more....who wouldn't want that?

The tories have run the NHS ragged and NI being the distant relative was always going to finish up worse off than everywhere else.
I don't know what the answer is.
I'm lucky to have private healthcare for my family through work, something I probably couldn't afford myself.
Mrs. tbrick has recently had multiple surgeries through it, which on the nhs have a 5 year waiting list.

At the minute, any other system of national health care would, in my opinion, be better than what we have today in NI.

People keep blaming the Tories and yes they haven't helped but Health is a devolved matter and we have had no government for the best part of the last 10 years. Reform is badly needed and it simply hasn't been delivered. Blaming the Tories for every ill exonerates the absolute abdication of responsibility from Sinn Fein and the DUP. And when they last had the chance to take the health portfolio they wouldn't go near it leaving it to Robin Swann and the UUP. That's the leadership we have locally. We voted them in and we have got exactly what we voted for.

I have private health insurance for me and my family. I suggest everyone gets the same as the NHS will not be fixed anytime soon either by the Tories or local MLAs.

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on December 02, 2022, 11:24:47 AM
There is a plan to open a medical school in Derry. This would increase the number of doctors generally, but would also increase the number of doctors associated with the area and some could become GPs.
Mind you, even if they manage to do this, it will be decade before it does any good.

That's not the magic bullet you think it is. If the NHS could retain the Doctors and Nurses it already trains that would be far more beneficial than any new medical school.

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on December 02, 2022, 11:29:48 AM

That's not the magic bullet you think it is. If the NHS could retain the Doctors and Nurses it already trains that would be far more beneficial than any new medical school.

Yes and no. There is a geographic issue here also.
But both administrations on this island could benefit from reducing the number going to Australia etc and instead attract some Australians to come here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on December 02, 2022, 11:38:41 AM
Quote from: trailer on December 02, 2022, 11:29:48 AM

Yes and no. There is a geographic issue here also.
But both administrations on this island could benefit from reducing the number going to Australia etc and instead attract some Australians to come here.

Will the be training local doctors or bring in students from other countries?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea