The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

VdF named World Player of the Year.

Terrific achievement but the endless disrespect of Ardie Saves is astonishing. Wasn't even nominated and didn't make the team of the year.

Wildweasel74

Ardie a great player but not a no. 8 not big enough, better, at 7,

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on November 20, 2022, 10:34:56 PM
VdF named World Player of the Year.

Terrific achievement but the endless disrespect of Ardie Saves is astonishing. Wasn't even nominated and didn't make the team of the year.
Great achievement for the Irish team reflected in this reward.
Only Keith Wood and Sexton have previously won this award for the green Jersey.
O'Driscoll was good enough to win but he didn't have the team to match.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2022, 05:55:31 AM
In the 2019 RWC Ireland could only play one style.  They were blindsided by Japan. The point of the November matches was to expose the group to different styles and get data.

A win is a win, but Ireland are probably in a healthy position within the camp as they know they'd a few poor enough performances in these Autumn Internationals so expectations have been dampened in the media which is a good thing.

Out half depth or more importantly quality of the depth is still an issue, Carbery sadly is every bit as fragile as Sexton, so is there any real point of continuing with him as second choice come the 6N's?

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on November 21, 2022, 08:55:23 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2022, 05:55:31 AM
In the 2019 RWC Ireland could only play one style.  They were blindsided by Japan. The point of the November matches was to expose the group to different styles and get data.

A win is a win, but Ireland are probably in a healthy position within the camp as they know they'd a few poor enough performances in these Autumn Internationals so expectations have been dampened in the media which is a good thing.

Out half depth or more importantly quality of the depth is still an issue, Carbery sadly is every bit as fragile as Sexton, so is there any real point of continuing with him as second choice come the 6N's?
The aim of exposing more players to game time was achieved. This will probably be the most thorough preparation for a RWC by Ireland.

screenexile

Capt Pat

I am glad Eddie Jones is gone. I thought England did well getting to the world cup final with him last time.

Who are they going to get in to replace him?

screenexile

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 05, 2022, 07:53:00 PM
I am glad Eddie Jones is gone. I thought England did well getting to the world cup final with him last time.

Apparently Borthwick is back having been forwards coach under Jones for England and Japan in the last 2 World Cups!

Dag Dog

There is a danger that England will improve if Jones goes. They are on the easier side of the World Cup draw too!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on December 05, 2022, 08:02:47 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on December 05, 2022, 07:53:00 PM

Apparently Borthwick is back having been forwards coach under Jones for England and Japan in the last 2 World Cups!
Not sure Borthwick is what they need! They've shown they can score when the shackles are off but when they play conservatively they can be beaten by just about anyone. Borthwick is a good man for conservative play, mauling and scrummaging all day but expansive play is what their fans want to see.

Wildweasel74

They be sniffing for Farrell, they had sense they be looking at Robinson from New Zealand.

seafoid

Interesting week with both Wales and England changing head coach due to performance issues and very late in the RWC cycle. Ireland are in a good place by comparison.

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2022, 12:46:00 PM
Interesting week with both Wales and England changing head coach due to performance issues and very late in the RWC cycle. Ireland are in a good place by comparison.

South Africa did the same the year before the last World Cup and won it!!

BrotherMore6592

Ireland will eventually break their duck and get to the quarter finals this time then fill the togs. Blue scour all down the legs