New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Rois on October 03, 2013, 09:34:26 PM
I told a friend about a rooftop bar - 230 Fifth- surprisingly on Fifth avenue - and her shaftie boyfriend ended up proposing in that very place about 3 wks ago. Great night time view of Empire State, outdoor heated terrace with blankets, hot cider etc.
I loved Ellis Island.

If you are purchasing jewellery, avoid Tiffany and give the diamond district a go...

What is a shaftie boyfriend?
MWWSI 2017

All of a Sludden

Quote from: muppet on October 04, 2013, 12:47:27 AM
Quote from: Rois on October 03, 2013, 09:34:26 PM
I told a friend about a rooftop bar - 230 Fifth- surprisingly on Fifth avenue - and her shaftie boyfriend ended up proposing in that very place about 3 wks ago. Great night time view of Empire State, outdoor heated terrace with blankets, hot cider etc.
I loved Ellis Island.

If you are purchasing jewellery, avoid Tiffany and give the diamond district a go...

What is a shaftie boyfriend?

Her boyfriend is a Frankie.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Rois

Sorry' from Belfast/Belshaft/Shaftie - I'm bilingual. Just thought it would resonate with HS.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Rois on October 04, 2013, 03:17:44 AM
Sorry' from Belfast/Belshaft/Shaftie - I'm bilingual. Just thought it would resonate with HS.

I think he term you're looking for is a McCooey

AQMP

Quote from: hardstation on October 04, 2013, 08:23:56 AM
Had he been black, Indian etc, would you have felt the need to make reference to it?

Prejudice, that's all.

Indeed HS, the above slurs are examples of other board members chip, chip, chipping away at my Shaftieness.

Santino

Going to NYC for long wkend in Dec and really wanna see Book of Mormon on Broadway. Tickets all around $200 online. Is this normal price for advance booking? i know u can get cheap tickets on the day but really wanna see this show and worried it will sell out at a popular time for tourists in NY. Any advice?

gallsman

Quote from: Santino on November 13, 2013, 03:32:06 PM
Going to NYC for long wkend in Dec and really wanna see Book of Mormon on Broadway. Tickets all around $200 online. Is this normal price for advance booking? i know u can get cheap tickets on the day but really wanna see this show and worried it will sell out at a popular time for tourists in NY. Any advice?

Anything going on Stubhub?

Santino

Still $189 on stubhub but thanks for suggestion. Am guessing that's standard Xmas prices maybe

qwerty123

Any good hostel suggestions in NY? What's the average hostel price in NY? I'm looking to stay around new year's and for a few days after that. Are there any best locations for a backpacker hoping to meet other back packers along the way.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Santino on November 13, 2013, 06:54:04 PM
Still $189 on stubhub but thanks for suggestion. Am guessing that's standard Xmas prices maybe

Went to NYC for Xmas a few years ago. Flew into JFK on Christmas Eve. Saw Spamalot on Xmas Night & Equus on Boxing Night with the late Richard Griffiths & the Harry Potter geek in it. Broadway was fully open, no problem. Remember paying an absolute fortune for tickets, but I have to say that Christmas in New York was great. Was over for New Year's another time, bit different, but great also. To hell with the expense, my advice is blow whatever you can afford & enjoy it!!

Santino

Yeah, think that might be case then but suppose it's once in a lifetime trip most likely

gallsman

Quote from: qwerty123 on November 13, 2013, 07:02:21 PM
Any good hostel suggestions in NY? What's the average hostel price in NY? I'm looking to stay around new year's and for a few days after that. Are there any best locations for a backpacker hoping to meet other back packers along the way. Australian and Canadian girls.

Fixed that for you..

qwerty123

Canadian and Australian women would be the choicest of all the worlds lassies then?
If so, I'll accept the edit. Where is the best hostel to meet Canadian and Australian women? :)

Mikhailov

NYC is a great city and has everything you could need. was there for short break few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. done the usual stuff - rockerfella, central park, times square, Madison square gardens, water taxi but best bit was getting off water taxi at battery park and walking up manhattan via, 9/11, little Italy, soho, Chinatown, past flatiron building, Madison square, past times sq to central park. Think it is about 5/6k but not sure - done it casually had a few beer along the route and followed Carmen stateside advice in chinatown regarding the handbags (crazy area) and overall it took about 5 hours but was great. This city is really buzzing again and I was surprised at how clean it was in comparison to previous few visits back 15+ years ago. Stayed in 44th west street which is fairly central and leaves it that you are within walking distance to most areas but I would say that the best way to view and sense any city is to walk it - don't see too much when underground. will be back for sure !!!

Walter Cronc

How long would you need to visit the City and maybe a day or 2 down the coast?

Would a week cover it or would you need the 10 days? Any idea on budgets?