RTE on Freeview

Started by Lazer, December 13, 2010, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just_Browsing

Hi All,

I recently got a new TV (Alba one from Argos) - (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296077/Trail/searchtext%3EALBA+TV.htm) - live in one of the border counties.

Anyway - its a HD Ready TV not a HD which I think may be the problem.  I do a search for channels connecting the TV to my aerial on the roof.  It fines BBC, etc.  It also finds RTE1 RTE2, etc but I only hear the audio and I get a black screen with video format not supported.  Now as far as I know this is because the digital signal is MPEG4 and my TV can only present MPEG2 - is there anything I can buy to enable me to view RTE channels?  Thanks

armaghniac

QuoteAnyway - its a HD Ready TV not a HD which I think may be the problem.

Exactly.

is there anything I can buy to enable me to view RTE channels? 

Do a deal with Nally Stand for his box, it only picks up RTÉ!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Just_Browsing

Quote from: armaghniac on September 28, 2011, 09:47:29 AM
QuoteAnyway - its a HD Ready TV not a HD which I think may be the problem.

Exactly.

OK thanks armaghniac - may see if still have the receipt - be safer paying extra few quid for full HD TV in order to get the RTE picture.

oakleafgael

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Current set up is analogue. Have good quality analogue picture which comes from the Strabane transmitter and seperate RTE from Raphoe. In the roofspace there is a box fed from the aerial which splits the signal and sends it via coaxial cable to three rooms downstairs and three upstairs.

Bought a new tv last weekend which is MPEG 4. Able to pick up RTE digital on the new TV which is a great job.

I would like to be able to get FreeView as well which is where the problem begins.

Have been advised to leave the RTE aerial alone but that I cant get a Freeview aerial from Strabane as the signal will clash with the RTE digital signal coming from Raphoe. I cant pick up the signal from Brougher which would have cured the problem.

It has been recommended that I get FreeSat but it will only be available on the one TV.

Would it be posible to modify the box in the roofspace or replace it so that I could connect a feed into it from both the RTE aerial and the FreeSat dish, if this can be done would I then have both FreeSat and RTE Digital in the 6 rooms.

Stall the Bailer

Strabane isn't broadcasting freeview yet and won't be for another year

oakleafgael

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on October 21, 2011, 12:20:58 PM
Strabane isn't broadcasting freeview yet and won't be for another year

So the FreeSat is the only option until then?

Stall the Bailer

If you want digital now, then the answer is yes or wait until October 10th 2012.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on October 21, 2011, 12:28:17 PM
If you want digital now, then the answer is yes or wait until October 10th 2012.

Think I may wait then. Will it work in every room then from the one coaxial cable?

Stall the Bailer

Sorry I'm not sure on that, Fionntamhnach might be able to answer that.

Goldengreen

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 21, 2011, 12:17:19 PM
Any advise greatly appreciated.

Current set up is analogue. Have good quality analogue picture which comes from the Strabane transmitter and seperate RTE from Raphoe. In the roofspace there is a box fed from the aerial which splits the signal and sends it via coaxial cable to three rooms downstairs and three upstairs.

Bought a new tv last weekend which is MPEG 4. Able to pick up RTE digital on the new TV which is a great job.

I would like to be able to get FreeView as well which is where the problem begins.

Have been advised to leave the RTE aerial alone but that I cant get a Freeview aerial from Strabane as the signal will clash with the RTE digital signal coming from Raphoe. I cant pick up the signal from Brougher which would have cured the problem.

It has been recommended that I get FreeSat but it will only be available on the one TV.

Would it be posible to modify the box in the roofspace or replace it so that I could connect a feed into it from both the RTE aerial and the FreeSat dish, if this can be done would I then have both FreeSat and RTE Digital in the 6 rooms.

No expert here and am open to correction.
Fisrtly with the freesat, you can't split the cable coming from the dish (though I might be wrong on this as I have been looking into it recently, but think there is splitter available but can be expensive), best option there is to have a Octo LNB on the dish and have a line going to each room (http://www.tvtrade.ie/octo-lnb.html)
if you only have one line going to each room from the loft and you use it for the analog tv, you can combine the tv and sat feeds into one line and then split them out again in each room, to do that you would need two of these one to combine and one to split (http://www.tvtrade.ie/alltrade-tv-aerial-and-satellite-combiner.html)

But like another poster said wait untill freeview comes on line, if you wait you might have to have the following set up:
two aerials one point to Raphoe and one point to Strabane they might clash but the following page gives a good description on how to combine freeview and saorview. http://www.tvtrade.ie/how-to-combine-saorview-and-freeview-on-the-same-digital-receiver.html
Planning the same kind of set up too but will wait till I know what the frequencies are in the north before doing anything.

Sandino

Lads I had been watching Rte  digital on a samsung its had Mpeg 4, great pictures on channels. Now i have no RTE pictures at all. Has the set up changed or have I just done somthing silly? Thanks for any help in advance. Tried retuning etc but nothing has worked.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Sandino

I live in Omagh, all non RTE channels are fine.

Sandino

Could it have something to do with the settings on the tv, one minute perfect the next no rte, I think even the radio channels are gone. I must have another look tonight. Thanks for your help.

blewuporstuffed

this might have been covered already but:
i an trying to get RTE through my freeview box , but all i can get is sound, no pickture. the channels come up on the EPG alright, but just a black screen and sound. is this something to do with the freeview box i'm using or is it down to poor signal?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

shezam

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 27, 2012, 09:47:09 AM
this might have been covered already but:
i an trying to get RTE through my freeview box , but all i can get is sound, no pickture. the channels come up on the EPG alright, but just a black screen and sound. is this something to do with the freeview box i'm using or is it down to poor signal?

Does your freeview box support MPEG4?

Heres the supported boxs > http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/