Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maldini

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 06, 2023, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 06, 2023, 02:15:14 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 06, 2023, 02:07:44 PM
Manchester City are cheating bastards who would have guessed?? Likelihood of them getting stripped of their titles is slim as they'll buy that out..
And yet it didn't seem to bother almost every Man United fan that City were/are cheating bastards as most of them wanted them to beat Liverpool in the Premier League title races the last few seasons.

Liverpool and Manchester United is an actual rivalry with history and tradition, supporters want the most success for who they follow and none for the rival. Manchester City are soulless club that few care about, media then trying to build up fake rivals. True form would be struggling to be a Premier league club and i doubt if Pep Guardiola even knew much about Manchester City when he was managing Barcelona.

Apart from when he'd a trial with City as a player

seafoid

Liverpool have only been a force since Bill Shankly took over in the late 50s.

The idea that only Man Utd vs Liverpool is a genuine rivalry is wrong.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2023, 03:42:58 AM

Not quite, 5 league titles (and 3 2nd divisions) before the 50s . Nice try though

seafoid

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 07, 2023, 09:24:36 AM

Not quite, 5 league titles (and 3 2nd divisions) before the 50s . Nice try though
In 1950 there weren't 2 teams far ahead on the title list.
Liverpool and Everton had 5 
Arsenal, Villa and Sunderland had 6.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_champions#Total_titles_won

Liverpool were part of the pack. Until Shankly changed everything

seafoid

This is a super analysis of how to punish Man City for rule breaches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXosohRY0Zs&t=4880s

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2023, 09:50:46 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_champions#Total_titles_won

They were a force before 1950 as number of titles shows, and post 1950 too, as number of titles shows.
Not sure what your underlying point is here but whatever it is, it's not holding up.

Maroon Manc

Arsenal a bigger club then City and a larger global fanbase made £141m in commercial revenue in the last set of accounts whilst City made £309m in the same department, Chelsea's was at £153m. Doesn't look or sound right does it!!

Their still at it and only for this they wouldn't be challenging for trophies, we could debate all day whether the rules should be in place but they are and clubs are supposed to abide with it. Not sure at what stage their owners get sick of it, must be down 2 billion since the takeover in 2008.

I'm sure some will say the club is worth billions but its clearly not without their inflated commercial revenue and the obvious knock on affects from reduced revenue.

Mourne Red

Guardiola odds on to leave Man City in the summer

Armagh18

Quote from: Mourne Red on February 07, 2023, 01:14:28 PM
Guardiola odds on to leave Man City in the summer
Few of their stars would follow him out the door you'd imagine.

Look-Up!

I've enjoyed City's emergence. I think FFP rules are good in the sense of stopping clubs going nuts and going bust writing off mountains of debt, but if some rich individual wants to buy a club and waste millions/billions of their personal fortune, knock yourself out.

We all know PL is big business and the financial side of things and mismanagement of clubs will always be talking points. And by clubs we're literally talking international corporations here. But end of the day, reason why we watch is because it's a game, sport, and the teams that do well are the ones that attract top players and get a manager in to get the best out of them. From that perspective City have been the best the last decade and I find it amusing they have put so many noses out of joint. Trying to imply that their successes are missing some sort of integrity. That's a laugh, integrity or loyalty do not exist in the game. English football sold out a very long time ago.

trailer

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 07, 2023, 02:06:21 PM
I've enjoyed City's emergence. I think FFP rules are good in the sense of stopping clubs going nuts and going bust writing off mountains of debt, but if some rich individual wants to buy a club and waste millions/billions of their personal fortune, knock yourself out.

We all know PL is big business and the financial side of things and mismanagement of clubs will always be talking points. And by clubs we're literally talking international corporations here. But end of the day, reason why we watch is because it's a game, sport, and the teams that do well are the ones that attract top players and get a manager in to get the best out of them. From that perspective City have been the best the last decade and I find it amusing they have put so many noses out of joint. Trying to imply that their successes are missing some sort of integrity. That's a laugh, integrity or loyalty do not exist in the game. English football sold out a very long time ago.

But they are just Sunderland with oil money. Yeah sure they have been the best but lets call a spade a spade, no one is signing for city in 2003. The idea that their revenues can equal Utd's or Madrid's is for the birds. The rules are there to protect clubs from themselves. If they have broken them, then they have to face the consequences.

Look-Up!

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 07, 2023, 11:15:18 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2023, 09:50:46 AM

They were a force before 1950 as number of titles shows, and post 1950 too, as number of titles shows.
Not sure what your underlying point is here but whatever it is, it's not holding up.
As were City a force pre 50's and post as their numerous titles show in league and cup (pre 2010s), including at European level, plus several runners up seasons. Pre 50's too Utd won about 2 leagues? Fergie and Busby era's are the anomalies if you want to be technical about it accounting for all but 2 of their leagues?
I'd imagine that's his point which was in reply to someone saying City was a soul less club lacking tradition or history and Utd-Liverpool could only be classed as a proper rivalry.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on February 07, 2023, 02:37:48 PM

But they are just Sunderland with oil money. Yeah sure they have been the best but lets call a spade a spade, no one is signing for city in 2003. The idea that their revenues can equal Utd's or Madrid's is for the birds. The rules are there to protect clubs from themselves. If they have broken them, then they have to face the consequences.
All of the top clubs are playthings of billionaires . It's exactly the same as horse racing. The rich earn most of the rewards.

Look-Up!

Quote from: trailer on February 07, 2023, 02:37:48 PM

Oh God that's arrogant. Sunderland with 6 league titles? What were Utd before they changed the cooperate side of things and blew everyone away with their money. Finances were only a problem when oil money came into the game. So what, clubs are not in need of protection if a rich benefactor is willing to personally write it all off. Top 4 never had a problem when they thought top 4 was set in stone and the ladder pulled up.