Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 20, 2022, 11:08:49 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 20, 2022, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: lenny on June 20, 2022, 10:45:09 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2022, 08:42:07 AM
I think it's a great competition. Will be interesting to see how the most prominent teams do in the League next year.
And Westmeath should put it up to Cavan.

Totally agree with it being a great competition. I would tweak it slightly though to have some kind of back door or group system to ensure teams don't end up with just one game. It has worked out brilliantly for Westmeath and Cavan but it probably wasn't that worthwhile for teams knocked out in round 1. It should be a really good final.

This was a first year introduction competition, with straight knockout. From next year there will be a round robin group system, with 4 groups of 4. Every team in it will be guaranteed a minimum of 3 games.
Nothing worse than group games in a championship in my opinion. Plenty of others may see it differently.

I fully agree. Championship should be knockout for me. Never liked that Super 8s either. Group games allow for the strong teams to always rise to the top. The opportunity to get knocked out on a one off game disappears with this. I understand why they do it though, otherwise the weakest teams still only get their 2 Championship games before bowing out, even with a 2nd tier competition.

Dreadnought

Quote from: yellowcard on June 20, 2022, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 20, 2022, 11:08:49 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 20, 2022, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: lenny on June 20, 2022, 10:45:09 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2022, 08:42:07 AM
I think it's a great competition. Will be interesting to see how the most prominent teams do in the League next year.
And Westmeath should put it up to Cavan.

Totally agree with it being a great competition. I would tweak it slightly though to have some kind of back door or group system to ensure teams don't end up with just one game. It has worked out brilliantly for Westmeath and Cavan but it probably wasn't that worthwhile for teams knocked out in round 1. It should be a really good final.

This was a first year introduction competition, with straight knockout. From next year there will be a round robin group system, with 4 groups of 4. Every team in it will be guaranteed a minimum of 3 games.
Nothing worse than group games in a championship in my opinion. Plenty of others may see it differently.

Totally agree, whatever about a back door I think a group phase sucks the life out of a championship. I never liked the super 8s when they were there either so Tailteann cup group matches will hold very minimal appeal. They have a competition that worked this year and just needs some minor tweaks such as abolishing the north south split.

Just said the same. Fully agree. Bin the North/South things. If this was a concern, the Qualifiers would be split too but they aren't. Straight knockout, open draw. Every game means something and no chance of dead rubbers.

Eire90

do 3 teams qualify for the knockout stages with group winners getting a bye to quarter finals  next year or is only top 2

twohands!!!

The four 2nd placed teams in the group stages are drawn against three of the best 3rd placed teams from the group stages plus New York.

The 2nd placed teams have home advantage.

The four winners of those games are drawn against the four 1st placed teams.

The 1st placed teams have home advantage.

The four winners of these games go into the semi-final.

So all but 5 of the the teams will progress to the knock-out stages.

In the group stages each team gets a home game, an away game and a neutral venue game.

Dreadnought

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 20, 2022, 02:04:15 PM
The four 2nd placed teams in the group stages are drawn against three of the best 3rd placed teams from the group stages plus New York.

In the group stages each team gets a home game, an away game and a neutral venue game.

3 rounds of games, 24 games in total, to knock out only 5 of the teams. Jeez like...

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 20, 2022, 02:09:20 PM

3 rounds of games, 24 games in total, to knock out only 5 of the teams. Jeez like...

The Sam Maguire competition format is pretty much the same.

Division 4 managers have been begging for more championship games.

The format is not ideal but it's better than what was previously in place by a long distance.

yellowcard

That's like another mini League campaign all over again! Talk about creating spectator fatigue and apathy and there will no doubt be dead rubber games among those as well. I don't understand why they can't just tweak a concept that worked well this year. If they really want to provide an extra match to players then have a back door but playing group Tailteann matches to eliminate just 5 teams seems like playing matches for the sake of it. Each fixture needs to carry some form of jeopardy.

Rossfan

Because 95% of Congress voted for the system outlined by 2hands.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

The TC keeps Division 3 &4 teams involved in the championship for 4 or 5 weeks more than under the old system.
Teams get more games, spend more time together and bring more young lads on board. I think it's a huge improvement. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 20, 2022, 02:17:25 PM

The Sam Maguire competition format is pretty much the same.

Division 4 managers have been begging for more championship games.

The format is not ideal but it's better than what was previously in place by a long distance.

I presume the Quarter finals in the Sam Maguire will be held in Croke Park than home advantage?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Eire90

if they knock out  8 teams with top 2 qualifying you  probably get more dead rubbers  with 3 qualifying and group winners getting a bye nearly all final games may  have something on them either teams trying to win group to get bye or to come in 3rd to qualify on the downside there maybe less intensity but i think 3 teams qualfying maybe better  but straight knockout would be better.

Eire90

Quote from: yellowcard on June 20, 2022, 02:19:57 PM

That's like another mini League campaign all over again! Talk about creating spectator fatigue and apathy and there will no doubt be dead rubber games among those as well. I don't understand why they can't just tweak a concept that worked well this year. If they really want to provide an extra match to players then have a back door but playing group Tailteann matches to eliminate just 5 teams seems like playing matches for the sake of it. Each fixture needs to carry some form of jeopardy.

Could go straight knockout and the 8 teams that get knockout in the first round go into a 3rd level tournament called the tailteaan plate or somehthing but there would  have to be an incentive to win that but that would probably be a step too far to have  a  3rd tier competition

From the Bunker

Quote from: Eire90 on June 20, 2022, 05:34:20 PM

Could go straight knockout and the 8 teams that get knockout in the first round go into a 3rd level tournament called the tailteaan plate or somehthing but there would  have to be an incentive to win that but that would probably be a step too far to have  a  3rd tier competition

Could there be a Junior Championship of:

New York, Waterford, Kilkenny, London, Carlow, Scotland, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Warwickshire, Hertfordshire, Gloucestershire.

thewobbler

I'd pertain (and to my own surprise) that this season is the most successful and well received iteration of the AI B championship in history.

So anyone wanting to f**k with a format that has delivered needs a long spell in a dark room.

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2022, 07:42:33 AM
I'd pertain (and to my own surprise) that this season is the most successful and well received iteration of the AI B championship in history.

So anyone wanting to f**k with a format that has delivered needs a long spell in a dark room.
Barring the North/South split then this season has been pretty spot on, definitely the best format in a long time. Hopefully the groups next year don't make a total balls of the thing.

When will the time be found to play all of these group games?