Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 20, 2022, 12:11:14 AM
Quote from: Itchy on June 19, 2022, 11:35:20 PM
Quote from: thejuice on June 19, 2022, 11:20:23 PM
2 enjoyable games. Thought Sligo left it behind despite a poor start. A bit more composure and they'd have got at least 2 more goals. Westmeath not really in danger but Offaly kept plugging away at them and got some great scores.

I really hope the fans turn out for the final though. You'd wonder if playing it before the semi is better than a stand alone game outside of Croker. I think in a few years I think there'll be bigger crowds at these games once their true value is understood.

In the end both Cavan and Sligo missed 3 if not 4 goals each. Crazy how open both were. Cavan are better than that at the back but they set up like a u12 team!
To quote Tony McEtee both teams set up to make it entertaining game, this competition allows that, two teams at even level competing against each other and doing so they don't want to sit back defending they want go at the game.

Also Sligo built their resilience well in the tight game against Antrim  ;D (slip by him as if only Antrim had beat Leitrim and given them a tight game lol). The standard of those games was very good. Definitely impressed (and a bit depressed as my own county look nowhere near it).

seafoid

I think it's a great competition. Will be interesting to see how the most prominent teams do in the League next year.
And Westmeath should put it up to Cavan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2022, 08:42:07 AM
I think it's a great competition. Will be interesting to see how the most prominent teams do in the League next year.

On that showing yesterday Westmeath would be my fav's to win. But would expect it to be a 50/50 though come the day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2022, 08:55:07 AM

On that showing yesterday Westmeath would be my fav's to win. But would expect it to be a 50/50 though come the day

They have a few belter players. Heslin is a scoring machine. We are miles off that level  :(

Looking forward to the final of this.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 20, 2022, 09:18:02 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2022, 08:55:07 AM

They have a few belter players. Heslin is a scoring machine. We are miles off that level  :(

Looking forward to the final of this.
This was one of the best matches of the last decade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMRKv0dfXD4
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lenny

Totally agree with it being a great competition. I would tweak it slightly though to have some kind of back door or group system to ensure teams don't end up with just one game. It has worked out brilliantly for Westmeath and Cavan but it probably wasn't that worthwhile for teams knocked out in round 1. It should be a really good final.

Dreadnought

Quote from: lenny on June 20, 2022, 10:45:09 AM

Totally agree with it being a great competition. I would tweak it slightly though to have some kind of back door or group system to ensure teams don't end up with just one game. It has worked out brilliantly for Westmeath and Cavan but it probably wasn't that worthwhile for teams knocked out in round 1. It should be a really good final.

This was a first year introduction competition, with straight knockout. From next year there will be a round robin group system, with 4 groups of 4. Every team in it will be guaranteed a minimum of 3 games.

yellowcard

First match yesterday was entertaining but I thought Offaly were disappointing in the second game which was over as a contest at half time. Westmeath were impressive though and physically over powered Offaly. Sligo once they settled after 15 minutes, were a match for Cavan for the rest of the game and they will be left wondering what if Murphy had started.

I think the GAA need to ditch the north south split next season but otherwise the competition has been a success. Should be an entertaining final too as both sides like to play football and it is a very difficult match to call. Either way division 3 looks like a very competitive division next year and it is good to see those teams and players getting some exposure in the height of summer.

Armagh18

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 20, 2022, 10:55:16 AM

This was a first year introduction competition, with straight knockout. From next year there will be a round robin group system, with 4 groups of 4. Every team in it will be guaranteed a minimum of 3 games.
Nothing worse than group games in a championship in my opinion. Plenty of others may see it differently.

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 20, 2022, 11:08:49 AM

Nothing worse than group games in a championship in my opinion. Plenty of others may see it differently.

I agree Armagh18.

Only thing is that all the teams will gwt extra matches, which should help them all develop.

Plus... mmmm...the ticket sales.

imtommygunn

Same teams be straight out every year if they don't have them though and you're no better off than you were in the qualifiers.

yellowcard

Totally agree, whatever about a back door I think a group phase sucks the life out of a championship. I never liked the super 8s when they were there either so Tailteann cup group matches will hold very minimal appeal. They have a competition that worked this year and just needs some minor tweaks such as abolishing the north south split. 

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on June 20, 2022, 11:15:48 AM

Totally agree, whatever about a back door I think a group phase sucks the life out of a championship. I never liked the super 8s when they were there either so Tailteann cup group matches will hold very minimal appeal. They have a competition that worked this year and just needs some minor tweaks such as abolishing the north south split.
Yeah in my experience there is very little intensity in a group game- just not the same as proper championship. Maybe a back door system in the Tailteann so that teams are getting at least 3 games-their own provincial then 2 against teams at their own level. North/South needs to go for sure.