Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Good game, Sligo a bit unlucky; should be a good final. Tailteann cup has been a success

SLIGONIAN

We learned a lot more about ourselves today. It was actually in our control to win that game today, too many missed goal chances which would have put them under much more pressure. We are an incredibly creative team and had enough possession. We transition the ball very well. We are defensively a lot more cohesive not conceding goals to better teams. I felt Cavan's 2 goal chances were saves Id expect Devaney to make. Our chances felt a bit more clear.

It is unusual for us to be consistently so poor on scoring efficiency last few games.

I still feel our management are incredibly slow to see good talent and are far too loyal to some of our poorer players but I guess at least they get there. To have gone into the Summer a week longer than Roscommon and Leitrim and not as big a gap to when Mayo/Galway get knocked out helps. We are also the last Div4 left so next year Id expect a bounce from this. Add into the mix we should have 7/8 u20s coming into this squad which will bolster us. I do worry about how slow Management may integrate them. Spillane was massively underused all year although I know injuries played a part. The players that we expected stood up in the main. Evan Lyons really is the second coming of Ross Donovan. Murphy showed his class probably not even at 100%. Carrabine is a fine footballer. O Connor and Reilly are quality but need to improve. The rest of the team is pretty even and hard-working but its a good base for the next few years of underage coming through and boy is there talent on its way for Sligo. The next 2 years u20s are the best underage squad we have ever had. This year's minors have 5/6 superstars who scored 3-10 away against a Mayo team that I expect to win the AI fairly comfortably.

Today actually, for me, the most impressive part was when we went 6-0 down we never looked like capitulating. I thought Sligo support was awesome too, huge numbers despite furthest to travel and got behind the team. 16k attendance is more than I expected.

All the lower-tier teams should take this competition seriously as it will help us all close the gap. Glad Cavan, London, and Leitrim all did as it brought us on a lot.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Hound

Quote from: shark on June 19, 2022, 06:46:10 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 19, 2022, 06:25:09 PM
Well done Westmeath. Very happy to see the physio who sorted by back problem last year, Jack Smith, play so well for them (they should really look at his two brothers also).

Madness by Offaly to concede the kickouts almost all the time,  but overall a season for them to build on.

Should be a good final.

He played really well. Vaguely remember watching his father, who was a very similar style player. The brothers were approached as far as I am aware, but opted against coming in. Stephen was on fringes of Dublin panel at the time. Not sure if he still is.
Stephen was made false promises (in my opinion) by the Dubs to keep him from going. And maybe Westmeath thought 'we're not going to keep asking'.
Stephen is a special player at club level, inside forward but also plays at 11 (the way gooch did for a while). He is quite small and slight looking so whether he would translate to IC level is up in the air, and he certainly would need a year at that level to get him up to speed. But has great ability and great heart (despite the slight stature, he'd never shirk a challenge. Jack is an extremely nice fella, I haven't met Stephen,  but based on what I've seen on the pitch, I'd guess he has a bit more divil in him).
There was talk that brother 3 (Eoin, I think) was the best of them, but I haven't seen enough of him to comment.

Rossfan

Enjoyable first match but the Sligo wide count....
2nd game was over well before ht even.
Should be a great Final.
Only down side will be people having to pay €50 due to it being paired with a Sam Semi Final that neither set if supporters will have that much interest in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Rossfan on June 19, 2022, 08:31:45 PM
Should be a great Final.
Only down side will be people having to pay €50 due to it being paired with a Sam Semi Final that neither set if supporters will have that much interest in.

Not sure about that
You're talking about 4 teams who don't  be in semis that often (well Galway maybe)
Derry and Clsre were Tailtain cup teams not that long ago
I reckon the fans for the Sam semi will get in soon enough
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Rossfan

I'm saying the Cavans and Westies having to pay €50 for a Tailteann Final.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dreadnought

Should be a great Final.

Not sure on that. If either of Derry or Armagh (or both) make that semi, a lot of Cavan fans for one would be interested. I'd be interested regardless, if football fans wouldn't be for a semi the sport would be in a bad place

Main Street

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 19, 2022, 08:48:26 PM
Should be a great Final.

Not sure on that. If either of Derry or Armagh (or both) make that semi, a lot of Cavan fans for one would be interested. I'd be interested regardless, if football fans wouldn't be for a semi the sport would be in a bad place
I'd be interested in the sf but not sure about being 'forced' to hand out €50 to attend a Tailteann final (if it were my county involved).
My first impression was that the final should not be the undercard to an AI semi final. Regardless I'm looking forward to the final (tv viewing).

Loughshore2022

You know a game isn't too important when they get the TV cameras set up on the Cusack stand. It reminds me of what they do at Stamford Bridge, when the U-18's play they record from the opposite stand.

Westside

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 19, 2022, 09:20:05 PM
You know a game isn't too important when they get the TV cameras set up on the Cusack stand. It reminds me of what they do at Stamford Bridge, when the U-18's play they record from the opposite stand.

Fascinating.

marty34

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 19, 2022, 09:20:05 PM

What difference does it make?

thejuice

2 enjoyable games. Thought Sligo left it behind despite a poor start. A bit more composure and they'd have got at least 2 more goals. Westmeath not really in danger but Offaly kept plugging away at them and got some great scores.

I really hope the fans turn out for the final though. You'd wonder if playing it before the semi is better than a stand alone game outside of Croker. I think in a few years I think there'll be bigger crowds at these games once their true value is understood.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Itchy

Quote from: thejuice on June 19, 2022, 11:20:23 PM
2 enjoyable games. Thought Sligo left it behind despite a poor start. A bit more composure and they'd have got at least 2 more goals. Westmeath not really in danger but Offaly kept plugging away at them and got some great scores.

I really hope the fans turn out for the final though. You'd wonder if playing it before the semi is better than a stand alone game outside of Croker. I think in a few years I think there'll be bigger crowds at these games once their true value is understood.

In the end both Cavan and Sligo missed 3 if not 4 goals each. Crazy how open both were. Cavan are better than that at the back but they set up like a u12 team!

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on June 19, 2022, 11:35:20 PM
Quote from: thejuice on June 19, 2022, 11:20:23 PM

In the end both Cavan and Sligo missed 3 if not 4 goals each. Crazy how open both were. Cavan are better than that at the back but they set up like a u12 team!
To quote Tony McEtee both teams set up to make it entertaining game, this competition allows that, two teams at even level competing against each other and doing so they don't want to sit back defending they want go at the game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose