Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Rudi on June 19, 2022, 04:17:38 PM
Fair play to Westmeath hopefully they hammer the biffos. Maughan  & that ridiculous chant are enough to put me off my soup.

missed that, what is that about

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 19, 2022, 03:40:59 PM
As Bunker said.
Seaf no team can win Tailteann twice in a row never mind 6.
Great. It's well designed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

Great to see a prize for winning the Tailteann Cup.  So if Cavan or Wsetmeath win it, next year without winning promotion they automatically qualify for the Sam Maguire competition?  Correct

Rudi

Good performance from Westmeath, some nice attacking play & defensively sound. What has Thomas O Se done for Offaly?

Blowitupref

Quote from: An Watcher on June 19, 2022, 04:57:58 PM
Great to see a prize for winning the Tailteann Cup.  So if Cavan or Wsetmeath win it, next year without winning promotion they automatically qualify for the Sam Maguire competition?  Correct

Go into the last 16 of the All Ireland championship. Group stage (4 groups of 4)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

Westmeath defence is exceptional for a tier 2 side.

Rudi

This cup looks like a great idea, some mighty football today.

imtommygunn

Yeah I thought they would be decent but they are a good bit better than decent.

Nice to see these games are enjoyable.

marty34

Quote from: Rudi on June 19, 2022, 05:14:59 PM
This cup looks like a great idea, some mighty football today.

If teams bùy into it.

Plus if, like today, there's other major games on to distract from it.

seafoid

Westmeath vs the Brady bunch should be a good match
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

FT Westmeath 3-22 Offaly 2-16.  Westmeath had that contest won at half time and kept Offaly at arms length 2nd half. The main positive Offaly can take out of this year is blooding plenty of last years U20s and have showed some good moments including the two goals today.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Westside

Happy to get away with a win there. Sligo had our full back line in all sorts of trouble. Their full back was outstanding and while Lynch won plenty of ball he was forced to offload rather than shoot.

Gerry Smith was excellent, probably should have been motm. James Smith and Jason McLoughlin were excellent too. Thomas Galligan twice went for goal when a point would have been the wiser option, but that's the style of player he is I suppose.

After a less than convincing win and Westmeath's fantastic performance today, the final would seem to be a real 50/50 game.

Hound

Well done Westmeath. Very happy to see the physio who sorted by back problem last year, Jack Smith, play so well for them (they should really look at his two brothers also).

Madness by Offaly to concede the kickouts almost all the time,  but overall a season for them to build on.

Should be a good final.

shark

Quote from: Hound on June 19, 2022, 06:25:09 PM
Well done Westmeath. Very happy to see the physio who sorted by back problem last year, Jack Smith, play so well for them (they should really look at his two brothers also).

Madness by Offaly to concede the kickouts almost all the time,  but overall a season for them to build on.

Should be a good final.

He played really well. Vaguely remember watching his father, who was a very similar style player. The brothers were approached as far as I am aware, but opted against coming in. Stephen was on fringes of Dublin panel at the time. Not sure if he still is.

Captain Scarlet

The first game was a good contest but always felt Cavan could pull away when they needed to. Still, a solid day out for Sligo and something to build on.
Westmeath are a decent team in fairness. At the Kildare game they got in nicely for goals a couple of times and they have plenty of good players and legs.
It should be a good final and all the pundits lamenting split seasons and the likes don't seem to chime with the players and managers talking today. There was plenty of positivity.

In terms of RTÉ I like Lawlor and the lads on punditry were good. As noted, the others would be spoofing if they said they knew half the players, so good to see lads who might be somewhat informed.

I'm tipping in on the 9th as a neutral and jumping on any Tailteann bandwagon that will have me!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.