Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

I heard there was 17k last weekend with Mayo Clare Roscommon and Clare. Going by that, if we break 10k Sunday it will be a decent showing.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: full moon on June 16, 2022, 02:54:57 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 16, 2022, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: full moon on June 16, 2022, 01:28:55 PM
Indo stating only 8,000 expected in Croker for semi finals on Sunday. Disappointing if that's the case, maybe Tailteann hasn't caught public support as was stated.

Probably fuel costs and lack of accommodation is big part. Anyone any thoughts? There was at least 5,000 each at Sligo Leitrim and Cavan Fermanagh. 8,000 for a double header would be a very poor turnout again in Croke Park.

I cant see that being the case.
I'd expect 20k at least

Only the lower Hogan stand will be open this Sunday and that apparently has the capacity of 15,600.

Armagh18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 16, 2022, 05:46:27 PM
Indo stating only 8,000 expected in Croker for semi finals on Sunday. Disappointing if that's the case, maybe Tailteann hasn't caught public support as was stated.

Probably fuel costs and lack of accommodation is big part. Anyone any thoughts? There was at least 5,000 each at Sligo Leitrim and Cavan Fermanagh. 8,000 for a double header would be a very poor turnout again in Croke Park.

I'd expect 20k at least

Only the lower Hogan stand will be open this Sunday and that apparently has the capacity of 15,600.
what is the point opening Croker for that..

Rossfan

The same point as playing
Junior/Inter Club hurling finals
Junior/Inter club football finals
Div 3 and 4 NFL finals
Ring, Rackard and Meagher Finals
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2022, 06:54:49 PM
The same point as playing
Junior/Inter Club hurling finals
Junior/Inter club football finals
Div 3 and 4 NFL finals
Ring, Rackard and Meagher Finals

That's it in a nutshell.

thejuice

Probably a Cavan Westmeath final but I'd love to see Sligo win it. It's be a shame if the fans don't turn out. Westmeath, Offaly used to bring great crowds in the 90's and 00's. They might as well go for this because outside of this and the league there's no chance of a trophy. Same goes for a lot of teams in Leinster. I wouldn't even mind if Meath end up in it. We're not in a place to challenge Dublin yet but we could land this if we were in it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Eire90

club semi finals are not played at croke park

Westside

Quote from: Eire90 on June 17, 2022, 07:23:53 AM
club semi finals are not played at croke park

This isn't a club competition. Part of the draw for players is making the last 4 gets you to Croke Park. Most of the Sligo players will be playing their first game in Croke Park on Sunday.

rrhf

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 16, 2022, 06:28:22 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 16, 2022, 05:46:27 PM

I'd expect 20k at least

what is the point opening Croker for that..
Prices need to drop dramatically.  Croke Park is a potentially great attraction on its own.  I believe Participation and attendance are more important priority during a cost of living crisis. A social campaign of getting people to games will bring great kudos on to the GAA.  Croke Park is a fantastic day out and is bought and paid for over the year.  Schools should be given free passes, OAPS, students, and low family rates. We are a social, cultural and sporting organisation. The days of neutrals swelling attendances are well and truly over unless there is action. Long term this will pay off.

Look-Up!

Wonder how much these games will cost between semis and final if attendances stay low. It's been said it takes 30k people just to cover running costs for CP. By my rough calculations, if the combined attendance between semi and final is only around the 20k mark, that's a shortfall of 40k just to cover running costs of the two days. At 25euro a head that's about a million euro outlay.

I don't think playing in an empty CP is such a carrot for players. When we say it's everyone's dream to play in CP, I think it's a given that you're playing in front of a full house. This competition is to help develop weaker counties. Maybe if they forgot about the bells and whistles and the PR spin and put the money up to county boards it might be a better carrot. Say the winner get's a number of full time school development coaches fully paid for 5 years, the beaten finalist gets a smaller number for 2 years or whatever, it might be a better carrot for counties to buy into. Put the games in regional venues depending on participants and have a decent atmosphere. If some counties don't want to buy into the competition then that's their loss.

marty34

Cavan taking it serious and looking the silverware.

They'll be hard to stop.

Rossfan

This 30k attendance to cover costs is a long out of date accountancy figure. They used to divide the annual running  costs including loan and interest repayments by the number of fixtures.
30,000 attendance would generate at least €600k, add in programmes sales and dear food and drink.
Can it really cost €700k to stage a match in Croke Park?.

As for empty seats, I would hope the players would be too busy playing the game to pass any heed on seats (Ros defenders excepted)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

full moon

Under 16s should be free in that would pick up attendances. I've said it a few times but the whole nonsense with the app and ticketmaster while not accepting cash on the gate puts a certain number of people off as well. Some people used to decide late notice to attend matches. While some elderly people don't even have smartphones or could take an hour trying to download the tickets the process is so bad.

The more barriers in the way the less people attend games sadly. GAA were warned but the accountants in charge just seen the bottom line, the cost of handling the cash and missing money issues went away.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2022, 11:41:21 AM
This 30k attendance to cover costs is a long out of date accountancy figure. They used to divide the annual running  costs including loan and interest repayments by the number of fixtures.
30,000 attendance would generate at least €600k, add in programmes sales and dear food and drink.
Can it really cost €700k to stage a match in Croke Park?.

As for empty seats, I would hope the players would be too busy playing the game to pass any heed on seats (Ros defenders excepted)

Surely it can't cost 700k? What expense are there? Stewards/utilities etc? Not sure where the 700k would come from.

On the empty seats- you'd imagine that a crowd of 20k which would have a huge buzz in the likes of Clones  or probably anything less than 40k would be lost in croker and not create much of an atmosphere. 

Armagh18

Quote from: full moon on June 17, 2022, 11:52:52 AM
Under 16s should be free in that would pick up attendances. I've said it a few times but the whole nonsense with the app and ticketmaster while not accepting cash on the gate puts a certain number of people off as well. Some people used to decide late notice to attend matches. While some elderly people don't even have smartphones or could take an hour trying to download the tickets the process is so bad.

The more barriers in the way the less people attend games sadly. GAA were warned but the accountants in charge just seen the bottom line, the cost of handling the cash and missing money issues went away.
Completely agree.