Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Any team can play any other team so that can't have been the objective...

seafoid

Quote from: full moon on May 29, 2022, 09:58:14 AM
I thought the Tailteann Cup was to prevent hammerings in the All Ireland. Yet the two biggest ones so far are in the provincial finals, and Meath previously in semi final.
Cork Kildare, Meath and Down are all struggling. All at the same time is not usual. Kildale and Meath are due to funding Dublin.Gaelic football has been stronger.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Carlow beating tipp probably the biggest shock so far. I wouldn't have expect Longford to rattle Fermanagh as much and I guess Leitrim Antrim a *bit* of a shock.

full moon

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 29, 2022, 05:03:40 PM
Carlow beating tipp probably the biggest shock so far. I wouldn't have expect Longford to rattle Fermanagh as much and I guess Leitrim Antrim a *bit* of a shock.
Surprised Carlow beat Tipp and Leitrim win. I believe Antrim had more pullouts and injuries. Leitrim seem like they're going full tilt at this and will be a handful for anyone especially at home.

Tipp seam to struggle when they are expected to win and breaking teams down.

armaghniac

Carlow may have chosen to ignore Leinster and target their training for the last week of May. Perhaps they think the Tailteann cup something they can win whereas Leinster could only end in a hammering 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Westside

Is it an open draw for the Semi Final or is it one North v one South?

I predict shenanigans tomorrow and Cavan drawing Fermanagh.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on May 29, 2022, 08:11:56 PM

Still split until semi stage. So Cavan will draw one of Fermanagh, Sligo, or Leitrim.

Lazer

Quote from: Itchy on May 28, 2022, 10:50:03 PM
Solid display today from Cavan, inspired by a sublime performance from Ray Galligan who scored 7 long range frees and saved two penalties. Very poor turnout from Down supporters, doubt there was 100. That was sad to see from a GAA county I've a lot of respect for. As cavan man we know the feeling of a top club turning against their own county, happened for years with us too. I say tell Branigan and chums to fcuk off and focus on your underage and the lads who want to wear the famous Jersey.

Cavan motoring well but still have another gear or two.

Finally, what a joke Antrim are. Talked up all year and then bet out the gate by Leitrim. Too many shite talkers up there seems to me.

Not even remotely surprised there were only a few Down fans, i didn't go, I know lots of people that didn't go.
I go to the McKenna cup, Ulster, Qualifiers and even friendlies but I draw the line at the Tailteann.

What exactly are counties meant to get out of it? We could have just went into the qualifiers and been beat by anyone and would still have the same number of games?

Down were never going to beat Cavan, not this year, but that on its own wouldn't have stopped me going. I went to Clones and knew we didn't stand a chance of winning but it was in a competition that meant something!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

twohands!!!

Quote from: armaghniac on May 29, 2022, 07:49:53 PM
Carlow may have chosen to ignore Leinster and target their training for the last week of May. Perhaps they think the Tailteann cup something they can win whereas Leinster could only end in a hammering

How long before we start to hear stories of players with knocks and injuries not being risked in the provincials/being minded for the Tailteann Cup.

befair

Quote from: Lazer on May 29, 2022, 09:59:04 PM
Solid display today from Cavan, inspired by a sublime performance from Ray Galligan who scored 7 long range frees and saved two penalties. Very poor turnout from Down supporters, doubt there was 100. That was sad to see from a GAA county I've a lot of respect for. As cavan man we know the feeling of a top club turning against their own county, happened for years with us too. I say tell Branigan and chums to fcuk off and focus on your underage and the lads who want to wear the famous Jersey.

Finally, what a joke Antrim are. Talked up all year and then bet out the gate by Leitrim. Too many shite talkers up there seems to me.

Not even remotely surprised there were only a few Down fans, i didn't go, I know lots of people that didn't go.
I go to the McKenna cup, Ulster, Qualifiers and even friendlies but I draw the line at the Tailteann.

What exactly are counties meant to get out of it? We could have just went into the qualifiers and been beat by anyone and would still have the same number of games?

Down were never going to beat Cavan, not this year, but that on its own wouldn't have stopped me going. I went to Clones and knew we didn't stand a chance of winning but it was in a competition that meant something!
A 2nd Tier competition is good enough for club football, ladies' football, hurling (county and club), rugby, soccer, just about very sport, but inappropriate for GAA county football?

armaghniac

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 29, 2022, 08:44:58 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 29, 2022, 08:11:56 PM

Still split until semi stage. So Cavan will draw one of Fermanagh, Sligo, or Leitrim.

Not much diesel needs for those trips.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

twohands!!!

9 games so far in the Tailteann Cup.

Winning margins in the 9 games 12,1,5,9,3,2,3,8,2

Average winning margin 5

Mean winning margin 3

FermGael

What's worse .

Sunday game ignoring this competition or pretending the pundits have watched the games ?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ONeill

The audio for the Antrim game sounded like there were 60'000 at it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: befair on May 29, 2022, 10:04:37 PM
Quote from: Lazer on May 29, 2022, 09:59:04 PM

A 2nd Tier competition is good enough for club football, ladies' football, hurling (county and club), rugby, soccer, just about very sport, but inappropriate for GAA county football?

100%

Look at Mourinho and his players the other night winning a 3rd tier European Competition.

A competition's value is what you place on it. The former great counties need to remember that they're at their current level for a reason. A good run in a Tailteann cup could be the spur that some counties need to get back to the next level the apathy is annoying.

Yes it should be promoted better but you'll find that when the teams in it start taking it seriously everyone else will too!