Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: onefineday on May 10, 2022, 01:26:02 AM
Quote from: thewobbler link=topic=3076
That's pretty what I want myself. I'd like the leagues to be finishing up around now - mid May - and used to determine championship places. And as many players returned to their clubs as quickly as possible between now and the AI final end of July.

To what end? Who will benefit from players being back with their clubs as soon as possible? Is that going to inspire the kids of Down to choose Gaelic games as their sport of choice, to play and to support? A 5 month window with a league played in appalling conditions making the quality poor and spectating a penance reserved for the diehard. A championship campaign consisting of one game at the end of April and a tailteann cup game 4 weeks later, certainly going to capture the imagination there!
You and Milltown need to remember that players are not forced to play intercounty football, it's a choice, for those that choose it, we should give them something that will attract attention, give them the competition that they and supporters deserve.
This whole condensed season is an appalling own goal by the gaa, this weekend being a case in point, top quality hurling and football all on at the same time, meanwhile in another week, there'll be just 6 teams left in the Liam McCarthy, that after a league that was played at half pace as it was too close to championship.
I love championship time, the colour, the build up, the atmosphere and I can assure you, it's not been often that my own county has been there past early July!  But that never dampened my enthusiasm, I'm not looking forward to an August bereft of Gaelic games this time around. You can say go the club, will there even he competitions of note taking place in August? I am involved in my local club on a number of fronts, but living in Dublin that is unusual. The vast majority of the populace know only the intercounty game, for them, gaa will be April to July. For all the positives from the club scene, it just will not attract a fraction of the attention that intercounty does (not helped by spectacles like last year's Dublin county final). Let this year be an experiment that needs tweaking, I understand the problems, but this shortening of the season is not the answer.

You and many others are confused about the GAA.

It is an amateur sport that survives and thrives on community involvement.  Its role is not to generate attentions or capture imaginations. These are the byproducts of pride of place. They are not the role of the game.

full moon

QuoteFermanagh and Cavan selectors Ryan McCluskey and Seánie Johnston have become the latest management figures to hit out at the regionalisation of the Tailteann Cup.

The new secondary championship, due to start on May 28, will be broken up into northern and southern divisions for the first round and the quarter-finals.

The split, which will be decided by the Central Competitions Control Committee, could see all four of Ulster's Tailteann Cup counties in the same draw – Antrim, Cavan, Down and Fermanagh. They could be joined by Leitrim, Longford, Sligo and possibly London or Westmeath if the latter lose to Kildare in this Sunday's Leinster semi-final.

Like last year's Allianz League divisional break-up, it would appear the northern division could be top heavy, while New York have a bye into the quarter-finals. The composition as well as the exception made for New York has been questioned by McCluskey. "If this is legit, then lord of God who actually is behind it," he posted on Twitter. "New York get 2 byes and then regional games for what reason?"

Responding to Johnston, Cavan man Johnston wrote: "It's a scandal, why is this not an open draw? What's the reasons behind regional fixtures?

"Are the qualifiers gone regional? If regional is the way forward then why have the qualifiers not gone this route? When is the draw?? How is it being marketed? Give the players answers."

Following Sunday's comprehensive Connacht semi-final loss to Galway, Leitrim boss Andy Moran also expressed his opposition to the first two stages of the Tailteann Cup being played on a geographical basis.

"I'd be disappointed with the way they set it up. That north-south thing was new to me. It came from nowhere last week and I don't know if that's going ahead."

Moran claimed the Tailteann Cup had been sold to counties as a round-robin competition but that format is set to come in next season with the overhaul of the All-Ireland SFC. Sligo manager Tony McEntee says his group are looking forward to playing in the new competition.

The draw takes place this Sunday while the first round of the All-Ireland qualifiers is also due to be staged. A preliminary backdoor round will not be required if both remaining Division 3 teams Tipperary and Westmeath are beaten in their respective provincial semi-finals this weekend.

Meanwhile, the U20 All-Ireland football final between Kildare and Tyrone has been scheduled for Carrick-on-Shannon this Saturday evening (5pm, live on TG4). Kingspan Breffni had been mooted while Kildare's management had requested Croke Park for the game.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40868843.html

full moon

QuoteThe split, which will be decided by the Central Competitions Control Committee, could see all four of Ulster's Tailteann Cup counties in the same draw – Antrim, Cavan, Down and Fermanagh. They could be joined by Leitrim, Longford, Sligo and possibly London or Westmeath if the latter lose to Kildare in this Sunday's Leinster semi-final.

Is  this farce being ran by CCCC? If so why are their members not in the public domain, or is it so secretive.

QuoteFORMER Donegal football star Martin McHugh has been appointed to the high-powered Central Competitions Controls Committee of the GAA.

The Kilcar man has been confirmed on the new CCCC, which was installed after Saturday's annual GAA Congress.

McHugh, a 1992 All-Ireland winner, will work under the new CCCC Chair, the Leinster vice-chair Derek Kent.

McHugh is joined by John Halbert (Cork), Mary Judge (Galway), and ex-Meath captain Seamus Kenny on the new CCCC, which is to be in position for the duration of the new GAA President Larry McCarthy.

If it's anything like other GAA commitees in HQ it's a bunch of unknown solicitors and accountants thrown in plus it seems Martin McHugh and Larry McCarthy.

full moon

Apparently Westmeath will be in the Northern section too which is a total farce. So least 7 of the top 9 favourites with the bookies will be in the one Northern section. And the GAA presidents team gets a bye for 2 rounds and into weak section. And if you don't play you get banned from next years championship.

Utter disgrace.

Armagh18

Quote from: full moon on May 10, 2022, 10:19:34 AM
Apparently Westmeath will be in the Northern section too which is a total farce. So least 7 of the top 9 favourites with the bookies will be in the one Northern section. And the GAA presidents team gets a bye for 2 rounds and into weak section. And if you don't play you get banned from next championship.

Utter disgrace.
The idea of a secondary competition is a good one but only if properly ran. Why on earth the GAA want to mess it up with talk of north and south sections and group games I have no idea. Incompetent gobshites

full moon

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 10, 2022, 10:22:29 AM
Quote from: full moon on May 10, 2022, 10:19:34 AM
Apparently Westmeath will be in the Northern section too which is a total farce. So least 7 of the top 9 favourites with the bookies will be in the one Northern section. And the GAA presidents team gets a bye for 2 rounds and into weak section. And if you don't play you get banned from next championship.

Utter disgrace.
The idea of a secondary competition is a good one but only if properly ran. Why on earth the GAA want to mess it up with talk of north and south sections and group games I have no idea. Incompetent gobshites

The sad thing is many knew the GAA were too incompetent to do it right from the start and of course the GAA proved them right. Even GAA pundits knew it needed to be promoted and done right but questioned whether GAA would do so.

Eire90

was the gaa provincial system created in a time where travelling was harder due to roads and vehicles and the cost of it  now inter county teams have funds and transport is easier is the provincial system at inter country level outdated.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on May 10, 2022, 12:24:44 PM
was the gaa provincial system created in a time where travelling was harder due to roads and vehicles and the cost of it  now inter county teams have funds and transport is easier is the provincial system at inter country level outdated.
Certainly doesn't feel outdated in Ulster although I can't speak for other provinces

Itchy

Quote from: full moon on May 10, 2022, 10:10:27 AM
QuoteFermanagh and Cavan selectors Ryan McCluskey and Seánie Johnston have become the latest management figures to hit out at the regionalisation of the Tailteann Cup.

The new secondary championship, due to start on May 28, will be broken up into northern and southern divisions for the first round and the quarter-finals.

The split, which will be decided by the Central Competitions Control Committee, could see all four of Ulster's Tailteann Cup counties in the same draw – Antrim, Cavan, Down and Fermanagh. They could be joined by Leitrim, Longford, Sligo and possibly London or Westmeath if the latter lose to Kildare in this Sunday's Leinster semi-final.

Like last year's Allianz League divisional break-up, it would appear the northern division could be top heavy, while New York have a bye into the quarter-finals. The composition as well as the exception made for New York has been questioned by McCluskey. "If this is legit, then lord of God who actually is behind it," he posted on Twitter. "New York get 2 byes and then regional games for what reason?"

Responding to Johnston, Cavan man Johnston wrote: "It's a scandal, why is this not an open draw? What's the reasons behind regional fixtures?

"Are the qualifiers gone regional? If regional is the way forward then why have the qualifiers not gone this route? When is the draw?? How is it being marketed? Give the players answers."

Following Sunday's comprehensive Connacht semi-final loss to Galway, Leitrim boss Andy Moran also expressed his opposition to the first two stages of the Tailteann Cup being played on a geographical basis.

"I'd be disappointed with the way they set it up. That north-south thing was new to me. It came from nowhere last week and I don't know if that's going ahead."

Moran claimed the Tailteann Cup had been sold to counties as a round-robin competition but that format is set to come in next season with the overhaul of the All-Ireland SFC. Sligo manager Tony McEntee says his group are looking forward to playing in the new competition.

The draw takes place this Sunday while the first round of the All-Ireland qualifiers is also due to be staged. A preliminary backdoor round will not be required if both remaining Division 3 teams Tipperary and Westmeath are beaten in their respective provincial semi-finals this weekend.

Meanwhile, the U20 All-Ireland football final between Kildare and Tyrone has been scheduled for Carrick-on-Shannon this Saturday evening (5pm, live on TG4). Kingspan Breffni had been mooted while Kildare's management had requested Croke Park for the game.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40868843.html

It is a scandal. It is also a scandal that yon little p***k Johnston has come out from under his rock and is now talking to media on behalf of Cavan GAA.

tintin25

Wait til you see, they'll change it to open draw...making it up as they go along

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on May 10, 2022, 12:32:26 PM

It is a scandal. It is also a scandal that yon little p***k Johnston has come out from under his rock and is now talking to media on behalf of Cavan GAA.

They got the quote from his twitter

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler on May 10, 2022, 09:32:19 AM
Quote from: onefineday on May 10, 2022, 01:26:02 AM
Quote from: thewobbler link=topic=3076
That's pretty what I want myself. I'd like the leagues to be finishing up around now - mid May - and used to determine championship places. And as many players returned to their clubs as quickly as possible between now and the AI final end of July.

To what end? Who will benefit from players being back with their clubs as soon as possible? Is that going to inspire the kids of Down to choose Gaelic games as their sport of choice, to play and to support? A 5 month window with a league played in appalling conditions making the quality poor and spectating a penance reserved for the diehard. A championship campaign consisting of one game at the end of April and a tailteann cup game 4 weeks later, certainly going to capture the imagination there!
You and Milltown need to remember that players are not forced to play intercounty football, it's a choice, for those that choose it, we should give them something that will attract attention, give them the competition that they and supporters deserve.
This whole condensed season is an appalling own goal by the gaa, this weekend being a case in point, top quality hurling and football all on at the same time, meanwhile in another week, there'll be just 6 teams left in the Liam McCarthy, that after a league that was played at half pace as it was too close to championship.
I love championship time, the colour, the build up, the atmosphere and I can assure you, it's not been often that my own county has been there past early July!  But that never dampened my enthusiasm, I'm not looking forward to an August bereft of Gaelic games this time around. You can say go the club, will there even he competitions of note taking place in August? I am involved in my local club on a number of fronts, but living in Dublin that is unusual. The vast majority of the populace know only the intercounty game, for them, gaa will be April to July. For all the positives from the club scene, it just will not attract a fraction of the attention that intercounty does (not helped by spectacles like last year's Dublin county final). Let this year be an experiment that needs tweaking, I understand the problems, but this shortening of the season is not the answer.

You and many others are confused about the GAA.

It is an amateur sport that survives and thrives on community involvement.  Its role is not to generate attentions or capture imaginations. These are the byproducts of pride of place. They are not the role of the game.

And your interpretation is the only one available??
Unfortunately it doesn't stand up well to scrutiny, notwithstanding semantics, the GAA's mission is to develop and promote Gaelic games, culture and lifelong participation.
Promotion of the game requires that attentions and imaginations are captured. Without that the organisation reduces in significance and the younger generations drift away, meaning that participation is for a short window up until the age of 15.
I don't know what type of club or community you're from, but I've experienced both small rural club and large city club. Your comments can hold up for smaller clubs, but are not relevant for city clubs and like it or not, less than 40% of the population live in rural communities at this time.

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on May 10, 2022, 01:37:10 PM
Some info on CCCC membership.
Are the 4 Provincial Secs/CEOs on it too?

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/03/03/major-appointments-for-two-mayo-gaa-stalwarts/

Never heard of any of them barring McHugh. I did read the 4 Provincial chairmen were involved but not sure if that is still the case as there is very little info on that committee or their actions.

seafoid

Odds

https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tailteann-cup/winner

If a lot of teams don't take it seriously, Longford at 25/1 might be worth a flutter
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU