Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 09, 2022, 01:01:56 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 12:47:23 PM
Was there any reason given the winner couldn't re enter the All Ireland in the same year like the Joe McDonagh?

Surely that's the biggest incentive of all. Without that, and lack of coverage I think it's dead in the water.

Even the name of it. Intermediate All Ireland would be better.

Timing. You have to wait until the provincial final pairings are set before drawing the Tailteann Cup fixtures, as some can avoid going into it based on a final appearance. They then need to run that to the final, which runs alongside the same timeline as the main All Ireland series. You'd otherwise have to hold up the main competition while they run that off. Would make sense, but can't see it working with the time available.

I think it's going to be dead in th water unless re entry to current All Ireland comes in.

full moon

Came across a tweet claiming first two rounds are on a geographical basis, has this been mentioned or confirmed?

"Round 1 and the Quarter Finals will be organised on a geographical basis with Northern and Southern Sections. The Central Competitions Control Committee will decide on an annual basis which Counties will be included in each Section (See page 103 of Chapter 6 of GAA's Games and Competitions manual)&"

full moon

If so I think the draw may end up fairly lobsided, especially if you put Westmeath/Offaly on northern section

Dreadnought

Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 01:09:09 PM
Was there any reason given the winner couldn't re enter the All Ireland in the same year like the Joe McDonagh?

Surely that's the biggest incentive of all. Without that, and lack of coverage I think it's dead in the water.

Timing. You have to wait until the provincial final pairings are set before drawing the Tailteann Cup fixtures, as some can avoid going into it based on a final appearance. They then need to run that to the final, which runs alongside the same timeline as the main All Ireland series. You'd otherwise have to hold up the main competition while they run that off. Would make sense, but can't see it working with the time available.

I think it's going to be dead in th water unless re entry to current All Ireland comes in.

Don't disagree, but where do you fit it in? You'd need to start it off before Provincial finals finish. And then you're competing with the other main games, and it'll never get the exposure or media that it should.

I think it's nearly dead in the water already as the setup of it with the League positions is very flawed.

Dreadnought

Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 02:21:54 PM
If so I think the draw may end up fairly lobsided, especially if you put Westmeath/Offaly on northern section

I'd agree, this sounds silly and no basis for it. people travel all over the country in the summer for main Championship games. They tried this last year in the league and I thought it was a joke as you had some very lopsided groups. And anyway, isn't it a case that teams who already met can't meet in the first round? Like if Cavan and Antrim are in the North section, they can't play. No sense in this.

Cavan19

Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 02:19:16 PM
Came across a tweet claiming first two rounds are on a geographical basis, has this been mentioned or confirmed?

"Round 1 and the Quarter Finals will be organised on a geographical basis with Northern and Southern Sections. The Central Competitions Control Committee will decide on an annual basis which Counties will be included in each Section (See page 103 of Chapter 6 of GAA's Games and Competitions manual)&"

I did read somewhere that the Northern and Southern Sections wouldn't be happening until next year but the fact that people don't seem to know how it is going to work says a lot about how it will go.

lenny

I disagree. Winning it should mean a team goes up automatically into the All Ireland for the following year. It needs to be a standalone competition and played as a curtain raiser to an All Ireland semifinal or even better the final. A semifinal might be more realistic because of ticket issues etc.. That would give it the profile it needs. Re entry into the current All Ireland wouldn't last too long if the winners in the first couple of seasons were drawn against Kerry or Tyrone in an all Ireland quarterfinal and were annihilated.

Blowitupref

This year is straight knock out. Next year this competition becomes a group format.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2022, 03:11:45 PM
This year is straight knock out. Next year this competition becomes a group format.

More time wasting routines ffs! Its beyond a joke with the amount of time players are away from their clubs at the minute but now they are going to be stretching the season out further to win the second tier cup
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2022, 03:32:43 PM

More time wasting routines ffs! Its beyond a joke with the amount of time players are away from their clubs at the minute but now they are going to be stretching the season out further to win the second tier cup
It's a split season that allows plenty of time for those players with their clubs once the inter County season ends.

Should be a honour to represent your county and this is competition with the opportunity to win a trophy in Croke Park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dreadnought

Quote from: lenny on May 09, 2022, 03:00:13 PM

I disagree. Winning it should mean a team goes up automatically into the All Ireland for the following year. It needs to be a standalone competition and played as a curtain raiser to an All Ireland semifinal or even better the final. A semifinal might be more realistic because of ticket issues etc.. That would give it the profile it needs. Re entry into the current All Ireland wouldn't last too long if the winners in the first couple of seasons were drawn against Kerry or Tyrone in an all Ireland quarterfinal and were annihilated.

Not sure a one year inclusion into Sam is really going to do many of the Tailteann Cup level counties any good. imagine it was in this year, you'd be into qualifiers to get hockeyed by likes of Mayo, Tyrone, or Armagh. What good will it actually do? Go up to get the cr*p beat out of you?

full moon

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/mickey-harte-says-its-nearly-too-late-to-market-tailteann-cup-well-now-259897

Harte and Canavan saying its too late to market now and all the details, perks and format should have been confirmed months ago. Totally agree, even the format hasn't been properly announced.

full moon

Interesting few points here from RTE

- Confirming North South geographic split until semi finals

- Ciaran Whelan claims compact season means it never had a chance of promotion and its Tommy Murphy 2

- John Maughan states he read that there will be All stars and a holiday for winners but that it won't sell it now as it neeeded confirmation months back. Also sort of indicates managers haven't been told much if he had to rely on media reports

- New York get a bye to QF but will play away only

- Preliminary round but provincial semi finalists aren't in it

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0509/1296947-ready-for-launch-tailteann-cup-teams-continue-to-prep/

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2022, 03:48:14 PM

It's a split season that allows plenty of time for those players with their clubs once the inter County season ends.

Should be a honour to represent your county and this is competition with the opportunity to win a trophy in Croke Park.

So you have them for a bit then they go away again ? Aye it's an honour like the Tommy cooper cup.. they'll be writing songs about the winners and films made about the rise from div 4 to Sam Maguire!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2022, 06:22:07 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2022, 03:48:14 PM

So you have them for a bit then they go away again ? Aye it's an honour like the Tommy cooper cup.. they'll be writing songs about the winners and films made about the rise from div 4 to Sam Maguire!

You complained about the provincial championships previously and now writing off the Tailteann Cup before it begins. So you want your own Antrim county players play one championship match and those players be let back to their clubs?