Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

does next years tailteaan cup have 3 teams advancing to the knockout stage from each group like all ireland or is it jus the top 2 in each group i like the 3 team advancing idea it gives better incentive to win group and may result in less dead rubbers.

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2022, 06:39:10 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2022, 06:24:22 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on May 05, 2022, 03:26:14 PM
In terms of promotion I read or heard somewhere that Croke Park were planning on having a Tailteann Cup All-Stars and that the winners were getting a contribution towards a team holiday.

Could they not play a North American selection in California or something and combine a bit of promotion and a holiday.

Brilliant. A holiday that half of them won't be able to go on due to work/family/club commitments, and the other half don't get to enjoy their holiday, they are forced to play a match and be on best behaviour when they're there.

Brilliant.

Gaa board is outgoing itself with going back to the tried and failed methods, in its attempts to make a cup that has no appeal, have some appeal.
Please please tell me this is an attempt at satire...

seafoid

Quote from: Eire90 on May 04, 2022, 04:07:19 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 04, 2022, 12:07:26 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 11:10:38 AM
The biggest cheerleaders for the Tailteann are those from counties not in it. Will these cheerleaders from bigger counties for the Tailteann attend matches? No chance.

So realistically the opinion of those from bigger counties who just want to push the other counties out of the way is utterly irrelevant.

Since the GAA and media refuse to promote or give it coverage, then  players and supporters from the counties involved have the right to give it the two fingers.

The GAA showed what they think of it putting it up against weekend of 4 Provincial football finals.

And the biggest cheerleaders for the Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher were a lot of these counties you talk about and also a lot of the counties currently looking at TaĆ­lteann campaigns, Down included.

If you agree in principal for tiered hurling championships, then its very much what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I don't care about Hurling, much like most of the country. It's a minority sport with about what 12 teams out of 36 involved in the Liam McCarthy?

I don't actually think following Hurling down the garden path to irrelevance in most of the country is a model we should follow.

Hurling has so much inequality they don't just have 2 tiers they have 5 tiers. 4 of which nobody gives a stuff about. I have no idea why football supporters want to follow that path?

does anyone care about division 4 football or even just league football or even football at all excerpt gaa followers  a lot of fans jump on  a banwagon  once they get into a semi final especially in tyrone
Punters will watch any kind of sport as long as it is interesting. Otherwise Eurosport wouldn't exist
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: Eire90 on May 06, 2022, 07:16:21 AM
does next years all ireland format make provincials less meaningful 
Yes as far as AI participation is concerned.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

London (4) lost to Leitrim
Fermanagh (7) lost to Tyrone
Antrim (13) lost to Cavan
Laois (6) lost to Wicklow
Offaly (3) lost to Wexford
Carlow (15) lost to Louth
New York (4) lost to Sligo
Down (10) lost to Monaghan
Longford (8) lost to Westmeath
Sligo (12) lost to Roscommon
Waterford (8) lost to Tipperary
Wexford (23) lost to Dublin
Wicklow (10) lost to Laois
Leitrim (23) lost to Galway
Cavan (6) lost to Donegal

Teams who will be in the Tailteann Cup if they don't get to a provincial final -
Westmeath, Tipperary.

Teams that won no game
London (4) lost to Leitrim
Fermanagh (7) lost to Tyrone
Antrim (13) lost to Cavan
Laois (6) lost to Wicklow
Offaly (3) lost to Wexford
Carlow (15) lost to Louth
New York (4) lost to Sligo
Down (10) lost to Monaghan
Longford (8) lost to Westmeath
Waterford (8) lost to Tipperary

Teams that won a game
Sligo (12) lost to Roscommon - beat New York
Wexford (23) lost to Dublin - beat Offaly
Wicklow (10) lost to Meath - beat Laois
Leitrim (23) lost to Galway - beat London
Cavan (6) lost to Donegal - beat Antrim

Farrandeelin

Des Cahill is looking forward to it
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Itchy on May 08, 2022, 11:06:51 PM
When does it start?

Round 1/Round of 16 is scheduled for the weekend of the 28th/29th May but if all 17 teams end up in it there will be a preliminary game the week before.
Round 2/Quarter-finals are scheduled for the weekend of the 4th/5th June.
Round 3/Semi-finals are scheduled for the weekend of the 18th/19th June.
Round 4/Final is scheduled for the 9th July.

seafoid

Andy Moran is very enthusiastic about the Tailteann Cup.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Shamrock Shore

I would imagine draw is next week once we know the provincial finalists

Westmeath could be in or out as will Tipp or Limerick.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 09, 2022, 12:05:33 PM
I would imagine draw is next week once we know the provincial finalists

Westmeath could be in or out as will Tipp or Limerick.

Limerick are not in it regardless of what happens next weekend. They're up to Division 2

full moon

Was there any reason given the winner couldn't re enter the All Ireland in the same year like the Joe McDonagh?

Surely that's the biggest incentive of all. Without that, and lack of coverage I think it's dead in the water.

Even the name of it. Intermediate All Ireland would be better.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2022, 11:56:17 AM
Andy Moran is very enthusiastic about the Tailteann Cup.

I just read what he said there. He is right, I never heard anything about a North/South Setup. Where did that come from? Just a way to maximise attendance no doubt.

Dreadnought

Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 12:47:23 PM
Was there any reason given the winner couldn't re enter the All Ireland in the same year like the Joe McDonagh?

Surely that's the biggest incentive of all. Without that, and lack of coverage I think it's dead in the water.

Even the name of it. Intermediate All Ireland would be better.

Timing. You have to wait until the provincial final pairings are set before drawing the Tailteann Cup fixtures, as some can avoid going into it based on a final appearance. They then need to run that to the final, which runs alongside the same timeline as the main All Ireland series. You'd otherwise have to hold up the main competition while they run that off. Would make sense, but can't see it working with the time available.