Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2022, 05:50:35 PM
So for the div 4/3 teams, get hammered in the main cup and no back doors? I prefer that option, I also prefer no back doors at all.

Btw Wobbler just because that's your view doesn't make it right or correct.

You'd be right most of the time with that assertion.

But eventually the association is going to have to stop rebadging the All Ireland Intercounty b Football Championship.

Play the league. The top 16 teams (8 x D1, 6 x D2, 2 x D3) at the end of that series make the Sam Maguire stages. The rest go back to club football for the summer. You qualify for the championship rather than take it as a given. Players don't have to pretend they're interested in a B Championship. County boards don't have to suffer the costs of running a county team for a competition they don't want to be in. Die hard supporters are saved 200 mile round trips to watch a game in which the players they do know aren't trying too hard and they've no way of finding out who the players are they don't know. D3 teams have a focus each season on making the big show. D4 teams have a focus each season on being one season away from the big show. Nobody loses out with this structure. Nobody.

full moon

Quote from: FermGael on May 03, 2022, 06:58:38 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 03, 2022, 06:23:11 PM
The noise already is there will be barely any promotion or media coverage.

I mean the GAA and broadcasters can barely promote the Sam Maguire properly so that's no real shock.There needed to be some perks tied in even have the winners re enter Sam Maguire later on like Joe McDonagh later on. As it is, it's going to fail.

They is no live coverage until the semi finals.
Questionable of the Sunday game will do any highlights packages of the earlier rounds as well.
Sure why would they

That's the biggest issue this competition has.
The Gaa have shown how they promote the tiered competitions in hurling and this will be no different.
Live on YouTube next year I could nearly guarantee.
Year after it will be over by the middle of June to leave more time for the better counties.

Nice refreshing interview today from one of the Down lads in the Irish News .
Calls a spade a spade

Have to agree there. It isn't going to get any media coverage or promotion or perks by GAA so it's clearly dead on arrival.The truth is it's just about shoving the weaker counties out of the way after most of them have been underfunded for years and don't have a population to compete with the top level.

Realistically the ones pushing it the hardest aren't going to be in it. I personally have no interest in it and would be more interested in the McKenna Cup even.

Attendances will be extremely low as it's hurling counties and other underperforming counties that have no interest.

Eire90

have teams not been complaning that they want summer football and a day out in the sun and how its unfair they dont get to play in the sun

full moon

Quote from: Eire90 on May 03, 2022, 09:07:45 PM
have teams not been complaning that they want summer football and a day out in the sun and how its unfair they dont get to play in the sun
Never heard that. Most lower counties were opposed to it as they knew it would get the Joe McDonagh or Tommy Murphy cup treatment.

rodney trotter

I mean the GAA and broadcasters can barely promote the Sam Maguire properly so that's no real shock.There needed to be some perks tied in even have the winners re enter Sam Maguire later on like Joe McDonagh later on. As it is, it's going to fail.

Questionable of the Sunday game will do any highlights packages of the earlier rounds as well.
Sure why would they

The Gaa have shown how they promote the tiered competitions in hurling and this will be no different.
Year after it will be over by the middle of June to leave more time for the better counties.

Calls a spade a spade

There wasn't much refreshingly about the interview. He says he wants Down to compete in the all ireland series,well go an win the Tailtean Cup and he won't have to moan next year

imtommygunn

Quote from: full moon on May 03, 2022, 10:34:15 PM
Never heard that. Most lower counties were opposed to it as they knew it would get the Joe McDonagh or Tommy Murphy cup treatment.

The Joe McDonagh cup is not comparable with the Tommy Murphy at all. The Joe McDonagh is actually a very good competition. It's maybe a bit less competitive this year than it has been however it is a very competitive competition. One of the issues is how hard it is to make the step up from it to the Liam McCarthy. I don't know how they bridge that because there's a massive gap between 2nd tier and 1st tier hurling as the score differences in Leinster this year would suggest.

I think the day in the sun thing is a nonsense. How much coverage do division 3 and division 4 teams really get when they play in their provincials anyway? Something needs to change in the championship for lower tier teams as it isn't great for them at the minute with gaps in football starting to become as wide as they are in the hurling. For me a part of that is because one day or whatever a year is no incentive for anything and the worse teams get the less of their better players commit. A properly run Tailteann cup would benefit football greatly.

Armagh18

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 03, 2022, 10:47:41 PM

Sure why would they

Calls a spade a spade

There wasn't much refreshingly about the interview. He says he wants Down to compete in the all ireland series,well go an win the Tailtean Cup and he won't have to moan next year
Agreed. No idea why Down think they're above Tailtean level. If I was a Down man I'd shut my mouth after what has been a totally embarrassing season so far.

thewobbler

You need to get your head around something Armagh18, and you probably should before Armagh end up in same position in a few year's time.

The Down players above aren't saying they're too good for the Tailteann cup. They're saying they don't want a Tailteann cup. These are two very different things.

full moon

Just read the first round is on the same weekend as the 4 Provincials football finals 28th/29th May?

Surely that's a death knell for any media coverage or attendances at the games that weekend.

This is what people meant about promotion or media coverage. The GAA are obviously don't care about it and the media won't either lumping it in that weekend against 4 Provincial football finals. The attendances won't be there if they had any hope in the first place.

thewobbler

Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 10:02:11 AM
Just read the first round is on the same weekend as the 4 Provincials football finals 28th/29th May?

Surely that's a death knell for any media coverage or attendances at the games that weekend.

This is what people meant about promotion or media coverage. The GAA are obviously don't care about it and the media won't either lumping it in that weekend against 4 Provincial football finals. The attendances won't be there if they had any hope in the first place.

If your solution is to give Tailteann cup rounds their own weekend to allow for maximum profile, thereby elongating the county season, then you should start again. 

snoopdog

Any idea what the GAA will charge into this  opposition. If its the same price as a championship game then the crowds will be poor. I'd say 10 euro would be plenty and free for u16s.

Rossfan

Quote from: full moon on May 03, 2022, 10:34:15 PM
Never heard that. Most lower counties were opposed to it

We're they?

Seems 2 spoke against it. 75.5% vote in favour.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaa-special-congress-live-updates-20649865.amp
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

full moon

Quote from: thewobbler on May 04, 2022, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: full moon on May 04, 2022, 10:02:11 AM

If your solution is to give Tailteann cup rounds their own weekend to allow for maximum profile, thereby elongating the county season, then you should start again.

Who said anything about giving them their own weekend? I never said that. Don't make stuff up please and respond to the actual point

Putting it on the same weekend as 4 Provincial football finals, possibly the biggest weekend in the season in championship is surely self defeating.

full moon

Quote from: snoopdog on May 04, 2022, 10:16:54 AM
Any idea what the GAA will charge into this  opposition. If its the same price as a championship game then the crowds will be poor. I'd say 10 euro would be plenty and free for u16s.

It could be free for everyone and there will be nobody at it. The attendances for Division 3/4 teams this year were very small.

Most teams had no travelling supporters in Division 4.

full moon

The biggest cheerleaders for the Tailteann are those from counties not in it. Will these cheerleaders from bigger counties for the Tailteann attend matches? No chance.

So realistically the opinion of those from bigger counties who just want to push the other counties out of the way is utterly irrelevant.

Since the GAA and media refuse to promote or give it coverage, then  players and supporters from the counties involved have the right to give it the two fingers.

The GAA showed what they think of it putting it up against weekend of 4 Provincial football finals.