NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 02, 2019, 11:17:18 AM
There's a clear team at the top well clear of everyone in Dublin but then there's not a great deal between Galway, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal & Monaghan. Everyone single one of those apart from Monaghan can make legitimate claims for their team going in the right direction and could beat anyone outside of Dublin. Thats probably harsh on Monaghan but without Kearns this summer I think their going to really struggle at midfield.

I don't get the Kerry hype, think they'll do well to make the last 4. They clearly struggle against Dublin & Mayo whilst Galway & Tyrone will be more than confident of beating them. They've got so many issues, more than anyone else and nobody knows who's their first choice fullback, centre half back and midfield are; They won't play a good team until the super 8's either, thats going to hinder them.

After Dublin, I'd have Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and Monaghan, in that order. Those four are competing for an AI final spot v Dublin really. Donegal further back with Galway. Don't understand the Galway hype tbh.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: BennyCake on April 02, 2019, 01:17:00 PM
There's a clear team at the top well clear of everyone in Dublin but then there's not a great deal between Galway, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal & Monaghan. Everyone single one of those apart from Monaghan can make legitimate claims for their team going in the right direction and could beat anyone outside of Dublin. Thats probably harsh on Monaghan but without Kearns this summer I think their going to really struggle at midfield.

I don't get the Kerry hype, think they'll do well to make the last 4. They clearly struggle against Dublin & Mayo whilst Galway & Tyrone will be more than confident of beating them. They've got so many issues, more than anyone else and nobody knows who's their first choice fullback, centre half back and midfield are; They won't play a good team until the super 8's either, thats going to hinder them.

After Dublin, I'd have Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and Monaghan, in that order. Those four are competing for an AI final spot v Dublin really. Donegal further back with Galway. Don't understand the Galway hype tbh.
What Galway hype?  Where are you seeing it?  All I see is us taking flak right, left and centre for our style of play and that is somewhat justified although it did seem to improve slightly in the latter games (notwithstanding the brainfarts v Tyrone)  - still has a way to go but that's another discussion.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on April 02, 2019, 01:28:36 PM

What Galway hype?  Where are you seeing it?  All I see is us taking flak right, left and centre for our style of play and that is somewhat justified although it did seem to improve slightly in the latter games (notwithstanding the brainfarts v Tyrone)  - still has a way to go but that's another discussion.

There has been no talking up Galway. A bit about how classy Corofin were winning the AI Club, but nothing else. They are definitely under the radar at the moment going into the Championship.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway have amassed more league points over the past 2 years than anyone else in Division 1 which was even a surprise to me. Connacht champions and AI semi-finalists last year. Quite clearly they are among the top sides now or at least the top sides just below Dublin. The style of play favoured by the management though is not going to win them many plaudits amongst neutrals. Just ask Joe Brolly. But with a fairly straightforward path to the Connacht final you would expect them to be in the Super 8's again with every chance of reaching another semi-final. Same boat as a few other sides.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on April 02, 2019, 01:28:36 PM

Galway hype?! The most derided team in the country this year, even by his standards Brolly has come out with some outrageous statements against the county team.

BennyCake

Well they've been talked about as contenders and competing with the big guns. They're a long way from being contenders.

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on April 01, 2019, 11:11:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2019, 10:29:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 01, 2019, 09:40:52 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 01, 2019, 08:31:07 PM
Mayo were very impressive yesterday and I think they look rejuvenated this year. Aidan O'Shea looks as lean as I've seen him for Mayo and seems to be lasting the pace of the game much better, he hasn't really delivered for Mayo but this is the year.

They will likely pose the biggest threat to Dublin this year with Tyrone next in line.

Kerry look pretty average and were bulled all over the pitch yesterday, they seem to be really lacking in leaders. Mayo destroyed them when the game was in the melting pot.
Gas.
Imagine how different the narrative would be had Clifford not missed the sitter at the end! People would be totally writing off Mayo as bottlers! Instead it's Kerry were bullied and have no leaders!

Kerry are a young team, who will learn loads from Sunday's game. Plus David Moran will make a huge difference.

A lot of planets aligned for Mayo to win a National League title yesterday.

The first and most important reason was Dublin taking a rest during the League this year.

The Second was Mayo going out early in the Championship last year. 

If ever there was an opportunity for to claim springtime Silverware this was the chance.

This Kerry team have been greatly over hyped based on past underage glory.

All true. To an extent. Hound is correct in that a Clifford goal at the end would have resulted in a different narrative today and different photos. We probably should have won by more, but any win at ht looked unlikely because Kerry's defensive set up was fazing us.
Another other reason we managed to win it, was the contribution of new players that can play at this level. Really play. It is apparent here that Horan is not going with players that Rochford used to call on.
I don't think it fazed Mayo at all, look at how easy Vaughan got in for his goal chance 1st half and Boland opted to fist over the bar when the goal was on. Mayo looked to exploit rookie Graham O'Sullivan all game and he was caught badly out of position for that Tracey goal that sealed the win.  I also thought the Kerry full back line got weaker once Sherwood was subbed off.

A big part of Horan's first time as manager with Mayo 2011-2014 was getting the most out of the 2006 U21 All Ireland winners and now he's looking to do the same with 2016 U21 All Ireland winners yet some think underage success means little when it comes to senior football.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rosnarun

Mayo were very impressive yesterday and I think they look rejuvenated this year. Aidan O'Shea looks as lean as I've seen him for Mayo and seems to be lasting the pace of the game much better, he hasn't really delivered for Mayo but this is the year.

They will likely pose the biggest threat to Dublin this year with Tyrone next in line.

Kerry look pretty average and were bulled all over the pitch yesterday, they seem to be really lacking in leaders. Mayo destroyed them when the game was in the melting pot.
Gas.
Imagine how different the narrative would be had Clifford not missed the sitter at the end! People would be totally writing off Mayo as bottlers! Instead it's Kerry were bullied and have no leaders!

Kerry are a young team, who will learn loads from Sunday's game. Plus David Moran will make a huge difference.

The first and most important reason was Dublin taking a rest during the League this year.

If ever there was an opportunity for to claim springtime Silverware this was the chance.

All true. To an extent. Hound is correct in that a Clifford goal at the end would have resulted in a different narrative today and different photos. We probably should have won by more, but any win at ht looked unlikely because Kerry's defensive set up was fazing us.
Another other reason we managed to win it, was the contribution of new players that can play at this level. Really play. It is apparent here that Horan is not going with players that Rochford used to call on.

sorry but that is a load of shite
if mayo were to add upp if all the Why ifs buT at and ands  over the last ten years aidan o se would have 4/5 all Ireland medals
Clifford had a attempt at goal Hennelly saved it , that what he was there to do
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on April 02, 2019, 03:29:13 PM
Well they've been talked about as contenders and competing with the big guns. They're a long way from being contenders.

Do you have Kerry as contenders? if so based on what I'd wonder. Watching them last Sunday they look no better than last year and any team that ropey in defence will not be All Ireland contenders. At least Galway will be hard to score against making them harder to beat but they won't be beating Dublin and Tyrone will likely beat them if meet this summer also.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: BennyCake on April 02, 2019, 03:29:13 PM

Dublin are the only "big gun" IMO. Galway were in the last four just 7 months ago. If you're in an AI semi-final you are a contender. Doesn't mean you will win it mind. They probably won't be too far off the last four again this year.

Personally despite all the talk I think Dublin will win it relatively handily again this year but the rest are much of a muchness once they play each other and all capable of knocking the other off on a given day. Two of that bunch will avoid Dublin in the semis (depending on who wins provincial titles) and one of them will reach the final.

Maroon Manc

God forbid a team with a lot of young players might improve. Teams gets better as they evolve and will continue to do so, don't understand the logic that we'll be stuck with the same contenders as in previous years. It was only last year that Galway & Monaghan made the semi's after an absences of 17 and 30 years.

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

MayoBuck

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2019, 03:36:29 PM

Gas.

I don't think it fazed Mayo at all, look at how easy Vaughan got in for his goal chance 1st half and Boland opted to fist over the bar when the goal was on. Mayo looked to exploit rookie Graham O'Sullivan all game and he was caught badly out of position for that Tracey goal that sealed the win. I also thought the Kerry full back line got weaker once Sherwood was subbed off.

A big part of Horan's first time as manager with Mayo 2011-2014 was getting the most out of the 2006 U21 All Ireland winners and now he's looking to do the same with 2016 U21 All Ireland winners yet some think underage success means little when it comes to senior football.

I thought Sherwood was the biggest weak link in the Kerry defence. He was marking Darren Coen in the 1st half and Coen won every ball that went in to him. He got switched on to James Carr for the 2nd half and was getting well beat by him before being taken off.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

Has one of our Roscommon posters been decommissioned?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM