Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: Don Draper on February 03, 2017, 01:30:08 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on February 03, 2017, 01:23:32 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on February 03, 2017, 01:07:22 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2017, 12:59:45 PM
As far as I can gather, this is Daly's wish. There is no issue with regards to poaching. He is giving a lot of commitment to football and doesn't feel Barrowhouse are similarly committed. Having asked about, it seems as if Barrowhouse's training numbers are poor, and were very bad last year despite winning a Junior. So you can see both sides, even if you mightn't agree with one or both.
The club don't have to take the player, regardless of it being his wish.
correct they don't have to but have you ever heard of that happening....let's be real here. If a player is looking to transfer why would you try stop him/her...
Doesn't make it right. We have morals or we have nothing. Josephs have plenty of their own to compete and win, this will stain any subsequent win.

Correct Don. I know of players who have tried to transfer to my own club and we refused them out of respect for our neighbours. This bull shit about training numbers being a legitimate excuse is a load of shite. Numbers can vary due to work, college commitments etc. Josephs might not have  "poached" but I know for a fact this has been actively encouraged by the very top guys in the club. Josephs had morals one time but this has obviously evaporated. Should have looked to fight relegation on the pitch rather than the board room and then this . If this is the way we are going on Laois then we are fucked.

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2017, 01:21:24 PM
True, but it's a little bit more than principle on the line here. He has probably played more in the Josephs jersey than the Barrowhouse one. He has good friendships there, has enjoyed a fair bit of success, and arguably has more of an affiliation with Josephs. It's tricky. I can see why lads might say it isn't, but I think it's a mess, and I feel sorry for the lad himself. It's As for Josephs, what is their crime?

Are you an idiot? He has never played for Josephs he represented his club in an amalgamation with Josephs .

High Fielder

You might have noticed I said in the jersey. I didn't see he played for Josephs per se. By all accounts, he has more in common with Josephs. Calling me an idiot won't change that.

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2017, 05:27:12 PM
You might have noticed I said in the jersey. I didn't see he played for Josephs per se. By all accounts, he has more in common with Josephs. Calling me an idiot won't change that.

I apologise if I hurt your feelings. You all but implied that he'd be nothing without Josephs quite an insult to the hard working juvenile coaches in Barrowhouse. Where does this inflated confidence come from? Ye haven't won a senior title of any consequence since the millennium. You can point at your under 21s but to be brutally honest if you take the grade seriously at all you'll be in a county final. Stradbally PG couldn't field a team a couple of years ago. My own parish amalgamation barely ever train for it.

High Fielder

You should be proud to make that statement, and you are. Fair play. I'm not part of the Jospehs club and I implied nothing. I would say the majority (note the word majority) of his coaching would have been done in Kellyville. f**k it I'll declare that as fact. Come back to me when you can disprove that.

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2017, 05:53:51 PM
You should be proud to make that statement, and you are. Fair play. I'm not part of the Jospehs club and I implied nothing. I would say the majority (note the word majority) of his coaching would have been done in Kellyville. f**k it I'll declare that as fact. Come back to me when you can disprove that.

You really haven't a clue buddy.

High Fielder

And you do?

The lad himself wants to leave. Remember that.

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2017, 06:05:07 PM
And you do?

Does he? As I said you haven't a clue.

High Fielder

Now I really know you don't know anything about this.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Don Draper on February 03, 2017, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on February 03, 2017, 01:52:42 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on February 03, 2017, 01:30:08 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on February 03, 2017, 01:23:32 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on February 03, 2017, 01:07:22 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on February 03, 2017, 12:59:45 PM
As far as I can gather, this is Daly's wish. There is no issue with regards to poaching. He is giving a lot of commitment to football and doesn't feel Barrowhouse are similarly committed. Having asked about, it seems as if Barrowhouse's training numbers are poor, and were very bad last year despite winning a Junior. So you can see both sides, even if you mightn't agree with one or both.
The club don't have to take the player, regardless of it being his wish.
correct they don't have to but have you ever heard of that happening....let's be real here. If a player is looking to transfer why would you try stop him/her...
Doesn't make it right. We have morals or we have nothing. Josephs have plenty of their own to compete and win, this will stain any subsequent win.
I very much doubt that it would stain anything...bar some people's prejudice.Did similar transfers stain  Stradballys win last year. A CLUB right next to barrow house are full of transferred players and their success isn't stained. What's the difference with this one ...
Of course they were stained.

I understand it may seem like I have an issue with Joes, but I don't. I just don't agree with this.
I don't agree with what you say regarding stained but I also respect your opinion. We both have a different view that's all

The Monument Road

Quote from: Pablo Escobar on February 03, 2017, 06:40:47 PM
And you do?

I wouldn't think anyone from St Josephs forged his signature on his application, or anyone from ST josephs insists he wears the St Josephs gear ALL of the time both in public and on social media.

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: The Monument Road on February 03, 2017, 07:04:24 PM
Quote from: Pablo Escobar on February 03, 2017, 06:40:47 PM
And you do?

I wouldn't think anyone from St Josephs forged his signature on his application, or anyone from ST josephs insists he wears the St Josephs gear ALL of the time both in public and on social media.

I know men like Paddy Doyle and Paddy Barry wouldn't have let this happen . They were absolute gentlemen and morally upright . This current Josephs executive and yeer (monument road and high fielder)behaviour is not befitting those two Josephs legends.

Keyser Söze

To be honest lads I disagree with those slagging St Josephs.

If a talented young hurler/footballer who had played underage with your club requested to transfer in to your club.........
How many club committees would take the moral high ground?

There is a legitimate connection here. He played as part of the parish juvenile amalgamation.

Clubs like Portlaoise, Camross and Stadbally have benefitted much more dubiously from transfers in over the past 20-30 years, and went on to win county finals with some of these players.
This is without mentioning a certain senior football club where some of the transfers in were clearly not out of a genuine desire to join this club.

People can pontificate about morals, but I don't think any committee in Laois would refuse to accept this transfer in.

Some of the posters going back and forward on this are clearly St Josephs and/or Barrowhouse. I have one important question.
When Josephs and Barrowhouse seemingly discussed a Gaels amalgamation last year at lenght. What stopped it from happening.
Was it Barrowhouse with unrealistic demands or Josephs refusing to bend?
I think it is an important question. If it was the former, then Barrowhouse have really cut their nose off to spite their face.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

Good post Keyser. I would say that it is possible to know what's going on and not be a part of either club. It's Laois after all. It's a small place.

My understanding was that Joes didn't want to go down the Gaels route because they believed, rightly or wrongly, that Daly was all they would get. They also didn't want to affect the status of the club, maybe with an eye on Leinster, although I'd be speculating on that last point.

As for the rest, I think you summarised it perfectly. It's a sad state of affairs, particularly for Barrowhouse, but this won't be the last time we hear of such a transfer. Small rural clubs need protection, so the rules need to reflect that. We all want to see small clubs and counties flourish, but leaving them to fend for themselves is just negligence on the GAA's part

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 03, 2017, 10:08:13 PM
Some of the posters going back and forward on this are clearly St Josephs and/or Barrowhouse. I have one important question.
When Josephs and Barrowhouse seemingly discussed a Gaels amalgamation last year at lenght. What stopped it from happening.
Was it Barrowhouse with unrealistic demands or Josephs refusing to bend?
I think it is an important question. If it was the former, then Barrowhouse have really cut their nose off to spite their face.

What I was specifically hinting at was that somebody once suggested here that St Josephs and Barrowhouse had been in negotiations to play together in 2016. And that it didn't happen because of an issue around changing the jersey. I don't know if this was an educated guess or a factual summary of what happened.

Anyways IF St Joseph's Gaels was an option for 2016 and it didn't happen because Barrowhouse wanted a combined jersey then Barrowhouse have been foolish. They could have had their better players wearing a Joseph's jersey at senior and a Barrowhouse one at intermediate. Now they will probably end up with one of their better players wearing a Joseph's jersey at senior full stop.
NOTE: I don't know that this actually happened!!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......