Clock Hooter in play from this weekend...

Started by AZOffaly, February 20, 2014, 11:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

This is from Midland's Sport facebook feed. I had no idea this rule came in, it must have slipped by me with all the black card hoo-ha. I'm delighted to see it, but I wish they'd do the rugby thing where the ball has to go dead before the game is over.

The GAA's new clock/hooter system will be used for the first time this weekend, on a trial basis, in the Irish Daily Mail Sigerson Cup semi-finals and final being hosted by Queen's University, Belfast. The Clock/Hooter system is due to be used in all Senior Football and Hurling (Liam Mac Carthy level) Championship matches this summer but will be given a trial run in both the Irish Daily Mail Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cup Semi-Finals and Finals over the course of the next two weekends.

The Clock, which will count up from 0.00, will be operated by a timekeeper, who will only stop the clock when directed to do so by the referee. The clock will only be stopped for relevant on-field injuries or other incidental delays not otherwise provided for in the playing rules. The making of substitutions, the issuing of Yellow/Black/Red Cards and other Disciplinary matters, including consultation between match officials, will not normally result in the clock being stopped (the only exception being where a referee adjudges there is a deliberate or abnormally significant time delay in such circumstances which merits it).

A hooter will be sounded by the timekeeper to bring each half to an end. However, a score may be awarded by the referee where a player has played the ball prior to the sounding of the hooter (as long as no other player from the attacking team has touched the ball in flight). In addition, Referees will allow free kicks awarded prior to the hooter being sounded (including sideline kicks/pucks, 45s and 65s) to be taken, and scores accruing will also be allowed providing no other player from the attacking team touches the ball.

The meeting of NUI Maynooth and University College Cork at 3.30pm this Friday in the Dub will be the first official GAA game to be played using the Clock/Hooter system. The second semi-final between University of Ulster Jordanstown and University College Dublin at 5.30pm and the Irish Daily Mail Sigerson Cup Final on Saturday at 6.45pm (live on TG4) will also be played using the clock hooter with the Irish Daily Mail Fitzgibbon Cup Semi-Finals and Final on Friday and Saturday week will also be part of the trial assessment.

brokencrossbar1

I wonder will it also be used in the Trench Cup games at the weekend,have a vested interest there!

BennyCake

More headaches for referees. It's to be used this summer? They're not having much time to perfect it.

I have to say though, it's nice to have more big hooters at matches.

AZOffaly

Just mentions the top two competitions, but is the Trench Cup on in Queens as well? Is so, sure the tech will be there anyway so why not. If not, then I'd say not.

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyCake on February 20, 2014, 11:35:36 AM
More headaches for referees. It's to be used this summer? They're not having much time to perfect it.

I think this is less headaches for refs. Timekeeping is one less thing to worry about. They just have to see if the shot takes place before the hooter goes or not, which is why I'd prefer the out of play rule like in Rugby. That's a lot less panicky at the end. The hooter goes, and you just know you have to keep the ball alive. The ref doesn't have to decide was that shot on the hooter or not. If the ball is out of play after the hooter goes, game over.

johnneycool

probably a good idea, but my only concern is the communication channel with the time keeper on the sideline. How does the ref signal to stop and start the clock, are they wired for sound?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 20, 2014, 11:36:03 AM
Just mentions the top two competitions, but is the Trench Cup on in Queens as well? Is so, sure the tech will be there anyway so why not. If not, then I'd say not.
???
Az, you aren't Bertie Ahern by any chance, are you? ;D
I know there's logic in there somewhere but damned if I know where it is. I thought Bertie had copyrighted the art of speaking from both ends at the same time but there's a new kid on his block and that's for sure.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 20, 2014, 11:37:40 AM

I think this is less headaches for refs. Timekeeping is one less thing to worry about. They just have to see if the shot takes place before the hooter goes or not, which is why I'd prefer the out of play rule like in Rugby. That's a lot less panicky at the end. The hooter goes, and you just know you have to keep the ball alive. The ref doesn't have to decide was that shot on the hooter or not. If the ball is out of play after the hooter goes, game over.

yeah agree with this, the hooter itself could be a good enough idea, but the game should end when the ball is out of play
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 20, 2014, 01:25:33 PM
???
Az, you aren't Bertie Ahern by any chance, are you? ;D
I know there's logic in there somewhere but damned if I know where it is. I thought Bertie had copyrighted the art of speaking from both ends at the same time but there's a new kid on his block and that's for sure.

Poorly worded alright. Probably distracted by work :D What I meant to say was: If the Trench Cup is on in the same place, then the hooter should be used because everything needed will be there. If it's not in the same place, then I'd assume it won't be used as the article just mentions the Sigerson and the Fitzgibbon.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnneycool

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 20, 2014, 01:31:45 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 20, 2014, 11:37:40 AM

yeah agree with this, the hooter itself could be a good enough idea, but the game should end when the ball is out of play

You can be sure there'll be a ball sailing towards the posts as the hooter goes and ends up with yet another controversy which could be averted with a bit of due diligence by those who come up with these things.

Milltown Row2

I'm really disappointed to,  this would have added to the Croke Park experience

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

I'll never forget my first time in hooters. Downtown Phoenix before a Phoenix Coyotes game. Ice Hockey never seemed so good.

rodney trotter

Trench & Corn MacLeinn are part of the Sigerson weekend too every year. I'd say it will be used for them as well. DKIT up against  Pats Drumcondra should be a decent game in Trench semi.

Captain Obvious

The sound of the hooter will become very annoying. No referee time keeping with take away some of the excitement, i enjoy checking my watch at games and then asking a stranger beside me how long is left.