Mark McGovern Fund

Started by Gaaboardmod3, July 20, 2011, 06:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaaboardmod3

I received this today, and I know some people were asking about this. I hope people won't be annoyed if we make it a sticky for a month or so...

Mark McGovern is a 22 year old Fermanagh GAA player from the Belcoo O'Rahilly's club. On Monday 20th June Mark arrived in San Francisco to spend the summer playing football for the Ulster Club in San Francisco. In his first game on Saturday 25th June Mark suffered a serious head injury; he remains in a coma in a critical but stable condition in San Francisco General Hospital. Mark's family arrived in San Francisco on Monday 27th June and they remain at his bedside.

Mark's Family, the Ulster Club in San Francisco and his home club of Belcoo O'Rahilly's wish to express their appreciation for the support shown by so many over the past few weeks. We ask that you continue to keep Mark and his family in your thoughts and prayers over the coming months.

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/markmcgovernsupportfund

Thanks

Over The Last

Was very glad to see collections being made at the Ulster final, everyone would agree that this is a very worthy cause and if it was one of their own club players they would all reel in and support.
Things like this rowing in to help one of your own is what makes the GAA great in my opinion.

Hope the lad makes a full recovery.

AZOffaly

Anyone from the republic make a donation on this yet? I can't get past the UK Postcode field, even though I put in a manual address. It won't allow me leave it blank, put in NA or 00000 which is my usual response on those fields?

Fuzzman

I recommend you just make up one from Belfast like  BT1 6JS which is the Northern Bank.

AidyMac

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2011, 10:03:15 AM
Anyone from the republic make a donation on this yet? I can't get past the UK Postcode field, even though I put in a manual address. It won't allow me leave it blank, put in NA or 00000 which is my usual response on those fields?

Hi, this has been raised and they are looking into it as we speak.  Should know something later today.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Bud Wiser

Link does not work for me Ziggy.

Can we post a cheque?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Great and apposite article by Brolly this week in the Gaelic Life.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2011, 12:34:37 AM
Great and apposite article by Brolly this week in the Gaelic Life.

Was indeed.

Very sad to read this, but very encouraging too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14348152
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AQMP

Fermanagh Herald reporting this morning that Mark woke from his coma at the weekend and although he has not yet spoken he is aware of his surroundings.

orangeman

A Fermanagh GAA player who was seriously injured in a match in San Francisco has woken from over a month in a coma.

Mark McGovern, from Belcoo, was hurt in an off-the-ball incident in a game in June.

The 20-year-old's parents and three sisters have maintained a vigil at his hospital bedside for the last five weeks.

His sister Helen said Mark has made "small steps, but the right steps".

"We are delighted that he has opened his eyes and been able to communicate," she said.

"He hasn't been able to talk yet, however, he can whisper slowly and we can lip read if he wants something.

"It's small steps but certainly the right steps and we are happy. We hope he makes a full recovery."

But the team treating Mark has warned the McGovern family that he still has a long way to go.

"The doctors have said to be patient and even at this stage we do not know what brain injury Mark has and how it will affect him," said Helen.

"We think that his memory seems to be okay, but the doctors can not give any definite answers as to how he will be in the long term and what long term affects he may have.

"Mark does like us being there with him, he's never been left on his own. The doctors and nurses have been very nice at the hospital.

"They have allowed one of us to stay overnight with Mark each night since he has become more alert. We don't want him to be alone."

AZOffaly

That's great news. Hopefully he keeps making progress.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,