Gooch Retires

Started by Gold, April 04, 2017, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

The Stallion

A fantastic footballer who deserves all the plaudits. That half against Dublin was as good a playmaking performance as I've witnessed. Such an intelligent player.

Croí na hÉireann

That 35 minutes more or less retired Ger Brennan and was the start of Cian O'Sullivan dominating the centre back position.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

easytiger95

His performances in 2004 and 2006 have been devalued because of the perceived lack of quality in those Mayo teams, but I think on both days he was unplayable.

Jinxy

Always loved the way he placed the ball instead of trying to blast it into the net.
The goal against Dublin (2011) where he took the lay-off from O'Sullivan and just side-footed it past Cluxton was a thing of beauty.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Good player but overrated. Brolly is right in a lot he says about him, he never really did it when the chips were down.

The Stallion

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Stallion on April 04, 2017, 06:34:07 PM
Nonsense.

The behaviour of Cooper's band of sycophants is hilarious. Martin McHugh made a fairly decent summation of Cooper a few years back and nearly got lynch for expressing his opinion. There's lots of reasons to have a critique of Cooper given the many disappearing acts he has done over the year, trying to suppress discussion of critique of Cooper just shows what a con his reputation is.

The Stallion

I'm not trying to suppress anyone's view. I just believe your view is wide of the mark.

Cooper was a great footballer.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Stallion on April 04, 2017, 06:46:41 PM
I'm not trying to suppress anyone's view. I just believe your view is wide of the mark.

Cooper was a great footballer.

Who had a habit of disappearing when his team needed him.

The Stallion

I disagree with that assessment.

Avondhu star

Like a lot of GAA players when they have a nickname it adds to their reputation because of goms like Marty over exagerating it
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 04, 2017, 06:03:53 PM
Good player but overrated. Brolly is right in a lot he says about him, he never really did it when the chips were down.

Agreed, when a decent team stood face to face with Cooper (and Kerry) and asked questions of them they never pushed on. It is easy to do this and that when you are winning and winning well. But when you are faced with adversity and you have to pull it out of the bag, then that shows true Greatness. Look at the finals Kerry won and lost over that period. All close games were lost!

I don't want to go down the road of belittling his contribution to Gaelic football. It has been immense. But just like Mayo players and teams are open to criticism for failure (and rightly so) - I don't see why Kerry can be immune.

BallyroanAbu

Brolly 1 Final
Gooch 4-34 Nine Finals Winning 4 and every major honor in GAA.
Every Great of Kerry Football lining up to say he was the one of the Greats (pretty sure they don't hand out plaudits easily)
Man is a Living Legend

We live an age where he was been double marked and given rough treatment and he still shined

The Stallion

The losses weren't all down to Cooper. Contrary to popular opinion, In the 2005 final he had a good game, despite some cowardly treatment from Tyrone players.

He was a great player and a joy to watch. His vision and awareness of others is something very few players possess.