Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 10, 2019, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 10, 2019, 11:38:51 AM
Bar the odd bit of nonsense (Cooper didnt pull Clifford back) I definitely think he is worth having on the panel.

If RTE balls about they will lose him - there is no doubt he makes more people tune in that tune out.

Not a notion that's true at this stage, RTE have surely realised by now that people will watch their GAA coverage from sheer force of habit regardless of what the standard of it is.
Brolly getting the heave would do nothing but vastly improve their live match coverage and analysis.

Totally agree. At least the others can say what they want without him cutting in and talking over them.

If I spot Brolly on TSG, it's "ah for fucks sake", and I usually mute it all. Yes, there's other analysts who have their faults, but none of them make me turn off completely.

Baile Brigín 2

I think in general people are just bored of the contrarian pundits. Dunphy started it, gone. Hook perfected it, gone. Fingers crossed Brolly goes the same way.

imtommygunn

Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2019, 01:48:23 PM
Bar the odd bit of nonsense (Cooper didnt pull Clifford back) I definitely think he is worth having on the panel.

If RTE balls about they will lose him - there is no doubt he makes more people tune in that tune out.

Not a notion that's true at this stage, RTE have surely realised by now that people will watch their GAA coverage from sheer force of habit regardless of what the standard of it is.
Brolly getting the heave would do nothing but vastly improve their live match coverage and analysis.

Totally agree. At least the others can say what they want without him cutting in and talking over them.

If I spot Brolly on TSG, it's "ah for f**ks sake", and I usually mute it all. Yes, there's other analysts who have their faults, but none of them make me turn off completely.

Yeah I wouldn't listen to it. I did on the all ireland final and it was ridiculous. Doesn't know what a foul is and questions the referee's integrity on the back of it. That after questioning Cavanagh years ago and I'm sure he's done more with the likes of McGeeney and maybe more. If he's gone good riddance but I'd be surprised if this is the last of him even if what is said here is true.

GalwayBayBoy

Brolly hasn't even made the subs bench.

RTÉ confirm All-Ireland football final punditry panels, Joe Brolly absent from line-up.

Live show: Pat Spillane, Ciaran Whelan, Stephen Rochford.

Radio: Alan Brogan, Conor McManus, Colm Cooper.

Nighttime show: Colm O'Rourke, Sean Cavanagh, Tomás Ó Sé.

screenexile

He's been hung out to dry over the Gough incident.

I'd imagine it's a sin bin and he'll be back for the new season. No big deal really.

blanketattack

Quote from: topofthesoil on September 10, 2019, 11:22:54 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on September 10, 2019, 11:15:59 AM
Quote from: topofthesoil on September 10, 2019, 10:04:36 AM
Quote from: Mayo Border on September 10, 2019, 09:58:21 AM
To Brolly
Goodbye and good luck
And if we never saw your face again
It would be soon enough.

Complete and utter disgrace!! No reason why he should be dropped, great pundit and this decision will be regretted down the line no doubt!

Sorry to see you're so upset Mrs. Brolly or is this Joe?

When the dust settles fella yous will all realise. His rants are explosive at times but you could listen to him talk and tell stories all day.
Complete mistake and disregard of gaelic games and what hes done for the sport to axe him from the panel.

I do agree with you in a sense and I think there is a platform for him, just not as a studio analyst for live games. Maybe journalism - an article a few days after games where he has a chance to reflect and review. Or maybe on the podcast circuit.

Anyway there's a good chance it's a once off due to a prior commitment so let's not pop the champagne bottles and play "ding dong the witch is dead" yet!

rodney trotter

He was a annoying throughout the coverage of drawn game. He raised his voice to Spillane to not interrupt him. Spillane probaly did it deliberately as Brolly always cut across people as if his point is the most important..

Saying that Whelan should probaly have been cut too. Trying to claim Cooper didn't pull Clifford was idiotic.

t_mac

Quote from: TheOptimist on September 10, 2019, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: t_mac on September 10, 2019, 11:55:41 AM
Quote from: topofthesoil on September 10, 2019, 10:04:36 AM
Quote from: Mayo Border on September 10, 2019, 09:58:21 AM
To Brolly
Goodbye and good luck
And if we never saw your face again
It would be soon enough.

Complete and utter disgrace!! No reason why he should be dropped, great pundit and this decision will be regretted down the line no doubt!

Agree, be no surprise if host had an input - unable to debate - just shouts Joe down time and time again, only reason she is there is because she is a woman.

You might be trolling, but enough of that sh1t. She is a former intercounty player with a long and varied career in sports journalism. Joanne has as much right as any man or woman to be in the job.

No-one is questioning her career but she is awful as the main host, if we have 25 years of that I hope sky get all the games.

t_mac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 10, 2019, 02:22:42 PM
Well, I'm not one to normally toot my own horn, but BEEP BEEP F*CKING BEEP!!  :D

I called Br*lly out years ago on this thread on being the narcissistic bullsh*tting cowardly pr*ck he is and though it's taken a while, it's good to see a lot more here finally getting it.

His value as a pundit/panel guest is close to zero these days from what I've seen here and elsewhere - ever since his rant on Sean Cavanagh a few years ago then any game on RTÉ he's on the panel for sees me tune elsewhere before the second half begins and also away after full time. Sunday game? Again, turn over or mute once the highlights are shown.

For those still hanging off him thinking he's some sort of character that people tune into to see, first most viewers tune into RTÉ to watch the game regardless of who's presenting, guests etc. TAM viewing figures from both All-Ireland finals bring shown on both RTÉ & Sky Sports simultaneously sees RTÉ win that ratings battle every time, the gap is not even funny. Secondly for the few eejits whom still think he "attracts viewers", this is perhaps the best conceptual art piece I can think of for that.

P.S. Joanne Cantwell has worked hard to be where she is at the moment and has extensive sports journalism experience as well as her own past sporting endeavours. She's done reasonably well to step into Michael Lyster's shoes, which was going to be a tall ask for anyone whom was going to replace him. Those who say she only got the hosts job because of her gender, that says far more about them than it does about her.

Bowseywosey - gender pure and simple, awful awful host.

Farrandeelin

Thou wretched, rash intruding fool farewell.

(For now at least)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Carbery

What a pity RTE couldn't have got three panellists from counties other than those participating, rather than two-thirds of them being from Dublin or Kerry.  A missed opportunity.

yellowcard

There is not much love for Joe Brolly around after his demotion, I think many will be delighted to see him gone and will consider it long before time. I think that he has something different to offer rather than straight up coaching analysis which the casual viewer is not overly interested in. However his lack of social etiquette has got to the stage where he has become so much of an irritant in the studio interrupting guests and the host, that he has become dispensable in a tv studio format.     

His reaction will be interesting given the fact that he does not like to be challenged.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 10, 2019, 02:36:18 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 10, 2019, 01:48:23 PM

If I spot Brolly on TSG, it's "ah for f**ks sake", and I usually mute it all. Yes, there's other analysts who have their faults, but none of them make me turn off completely.

Yeah I wouldn't listen to it. I did on the all ireland final and it was ridiculous. Doesn't know what a foul is and questions the referee's integrity on the back of it. That after questioning Cavanagh years ago and I'm sure he's done more with the likes of McGeeney and maybe more. If he's gone good riddance but I'd be surprised if this is the last of him even if what is said here is true.

Well, I watched the AI final analysis only because it was the biggest game of the year. He ruined the whole experience, as the occasion was a wonderful spectre of Irish sport and culture, plus it was a great game. But he tainted the day for many I'd say.

But as you say, I doubt this is the last of him. I think RTE are just taking the heat out of the situation following his behaviour in the drawn match. Like Ant (Dec's mate), he'll be back next season when all has settled down, unfortunately.

t_mac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 10, 2019, 05:17:26 PM
Quote from: t_mac on September 10, 2019, 04:03:12 PM
Didn't think it would take so little to prove my point, but there you go!  ;D ;D

Mediocrity knows no gender discrimination, but Allah forbid any aspiring sports journalist that doesn't have their own penis.

Proved what, I am stating facts same as Fiona Bruce getting question time pure awful but fits the modern narrative.

BennyCake

Quote from: t_mac on September 10, 2019, 06:42:05 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 10, 2019, 05:17:26 PM
Quote from: t_mac on September 10, 2019, 04:03:12 PM
Didn't think it would take so little to prove my point, but there you go!  ;D ;D

Mediocrity knows no gender discrimination, but Allah forbid any aspiring sports journalist that doesn't have their own penis.

Proved what, I am stating facts same as Fiona Bruce getting question time pure awful but fits the modern narrative.

Don't forget Doctor Who!