The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 07, 2023, 09:42:59 PM
They were well ahead by about 8 or 9 but Antrim levelled it with about 5 to go

Good to hear, more important to pull a victory off when the chips are down than cruising from 8pts or 9pts up to double that and learn little from it. Could be one of the more important victories this year for this crop of players.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Laois man

Hard luck to our U20 hurlers tonight shocking way to lose a game. On a side note no cash being taking on turn stiles tonight and elderly people outside without tickets couldn't get in. Cop yer self's on cash is king at games for people to get entire. Not everybody is up tickets on there phone. Cork and Tipp gaa are taking cash but we can't  elderly people are afraid to go to fames now with the fear of not getting in my god the social side of the local games is gone. But still taking cash inside for programs and at tge shop. I rest my case.

burdizzo

I went to one of the minor hurlers' games in O'MP, and they accepted cash off me...

I thought this u20 group was supposed to be quite good, no? Have they not underachieved a bit?

Zooming around

Quote from: burdizzo on April 22, 2023, 07:22:55 AM
I went to one of the minor hurlers' games in O'MP, and they accepted cash off me...

I thought this u20 group was supposed to be quite good, no? Have they not underachieved a bit?

That's an awful regression for that group. Questions must be asked how this was allowed to happen. They were one of the best squads at the younger ages hammering the likes of Offaly and Westmeath and now they have lost to those two at minor and u20. Next year's team lost to Kildare at minor as well. Worrying for the future.

Laois man

Taking off lads then bringing them on. Other subs getting no game time at all wouldn't fresh legs in extra time be a help.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Zooming around on April 22, 2023, 09:11:54 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on April 22, 2023, 07:22:55 AM

That's an awful regression for that group. Questions must be asked how this was allowed to happen. They were one of the best squads at the younger ages hammering the likes of Offaly and Westmeath and now they have lost to those two at minor and u20. Next year's team lost to Kildare at minor as well. Worrying for the future.
Exactly. That group performed famously at the tony forestal and won the Arrabawn shield beating tipps first team if I remember correctly.
I questioned why at least 5 to 6 lads to the age walked away this year who were all mainstays of that group . The management went with a large amount of last years minors but the step up to u20 is massive.
In all reality it was a complete shite show from start to finish. A serious knock back for laois hurling.

Giovanni

Yes I don't know anyone involved but it did look a bit of a mess to me. I hate watching good players who are making avoidable mistakes due to a lack of coaching. There are some good hurlers but there seems to be an idea that good players don't need coaching, which is complete nonsense. We've seen the same in football over the years.

Westmeath wanted it more, which is also not good.

The substitutions were just farcical to be honest.

As for the no cash policy, it's just stupid and annoying. I've gone to less than half the games I ordinarily would because of this and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Spiritof1915

Valiant effort from the minor hurlers this evening. Couple of turning points that eventually got a useful dublin team over the line.
2nd game in the championship where they didn't make use of the extra man which is a pity because I thought they matched the Dubs in nearly all areas of the game.

burdizzo

I think Dublin were absolutely there for the taking for our minors tonight; a few botched goal chances (including a missed penalty, and an effort that hit the post) cost them. Still, at least they were beating who they should've been beating, and have definitely improved since the start of the championship. Actually, they've come on a good bit since over the last year when they were losing to the likes of Meath, so fair play to Damien Carter.

G@@

Two sending offs in the closing stages, and Dublin down to 14 men too. Was the ref overly fussy?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

burdizzo

Quote from: G@@ on April 24, 2023, 10:36:14 PM
Two sending offs in the closing stages, and Dublin down to 14 men too. Was the ref overly fussy?

RuraĆ­ Kavanagh hit a lad, and a Dub came in as third man and flattened him, so got a straight red. Kavanagh was lucky enough to just get a yellow card that time, but picked up a second later on.

clonadmad

Celtic Challenge Quarter Final

Tipperary 12-20 Laois 0-09

Why are we sending young lads out to get absolutely slaughtered

its doing them absolutely no good

The PRO

Portarlington's minor hurling resuls are very impressive. Fair play to the people involved. And they seem to be doing OK at under 15 and under 13 too. It would be great if an adult club got going in that corner of the county rather than seeing the young lads either give it up or get siphoned off by the more traditional clubs.

Zooming around

Quote from: The PRO on May 23, 2023, 08:47:51 AM
Portarlington's minor hurling resuls are very impressive. Fair play to the people involved. And they seem to be doing OK at under 15 and under 13 too. It would be great if an adult club got going in that corner of the county rather than seeing the young lads either give it up or get siphoned off by the more traditional clubs.

Some great hurling people in Port doing a great job. Fair play to them.

On a worrying note, i see our U15s were beaten by Kildare at the weekend.

Laois Rising

You cannot call any loss to a Kildare juvenile team a surprise any longer. The number of clubs playing hurling within Kildare has exploded in the last decade. Some of their clubs have shown at juvenile level that they can be very competitive against Kilkenny sides. With Kildare's population and interest in hurling rapidly growing it would be no surprise to see Kildare winning a Joe McDonagh Cup in the next 10 years.