Monaghan Hurlers

Started by Bingo, April 10, 2012, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2012, 03:59:28 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2012, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2012, 02:32:03 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 12, 2012, 01:54:19 PM
There is greater scope for a huge win/defeat in hurling than there is in football due to the complexity of the skills involved in hurling.

Nothing to do with the so-called "complexity of skills" in hurling. There is greater scope for a huge win/defeat in hurling than there is in football due to the ease of scoring in hurling,if you are skillful enough to find the target from 100 yards.

Fixed that there Hardy :D

Leave me alone. I'm busy worrying that Banty may not go.

Aye, I saw that. I'm not sure whether 'telling him where the door is but leaving it up to himself' is the best strategy there.

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on April 12, 2012, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2012, 03:59:28 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2012, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2012, 02:32:03 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 12, 2012, 01:54:19 PM
There is greater scope for a huge win/defeat in hurling than there is in football due to the complexity of the skills involved in hurling.

Nothing to do with the so-called "complexity of skills" in hurling. There is greater scope for a huge win/defeat in hurling than there is in football due to the ease of scoring in hurling,if you are skillful enough to find the target from 100 yards.

Fixed that there Hardy :D

Leave me alone. I'm busy worrying that Banty may not go.

Get the county fixtures secretary to schedule a full raft of club fixtures the week of your first championship game. That's a surefire way of getting rid of managers. (c) Monaghan County Board.

That would be no problem as intercounty managers have 13 day call on players per the rule book prior to senior intercounty championship games unless the county has passed a bye law to reduce it.

Fairhead

Quote from: johnneycool on April 12, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

I'm not going to get into yet another debate of hurling vrs football as it's futile and irrelevant.

All I will say is that for any county paying lip service to football like Kilkenny, there are a dozen and more counties paying lip service to hurling and Croke park should be more proactive to ensure that this doesn't happen. Duffy and Co were very quick to put to bed the Laois/Armagh dispute with all sides coming to an 'agreement', yet little or no pressure was put to bear on Monaghan county board in this instance. The match was initially canceled, other fixtures rearranged within hours and now they've the game down as postponed!

The Kilkenny thread went onto a dozen odd pages, yet the Longford one and this one will see three or four at best.

Yes indeed imagine what would happen if a county the size of Sligo or Monaghan who put all their resources into hurling for years and the highlight being giving the eventual AI champions a bit of a scare once in a blue moon.

Hit the nail on the head there. Theres a vast swathe of the country where lip service is played to hurling by county boards but yet look at the uproar about the Kilkenny footballers recently. Now we have this happening in Monaghan which has followed the withdrawals of Longford and Cavan.

Seanie one of the justifications you mentioned earlier was that money is being wasted on senior hurling in the likes in the likes of Monaghan and it would be better spent on kids. Very noble of course and i read the Cavan county board saying the same thing when their hurlers withdrew. Well how are Cavan promoting hurling then? Not very well i would say as they played their Feile na nGael in February and the All Irleand Feile is in Dublin in July. Thats not promoting hurling; thats getting it out of the way as its only an annoyance so football can be played.

Applesisapples

There is an intolerance to hurling in most counties outside the top flight, Armagh included. Some one hit the nail earlier for most hurling clubs and county setups particularly outside of Antrim and the Ards people are a scarce resource and the open hostility of Club Football Managers to hurling even in dual clubs is quite obvious. throwing money at it is not a solution.

rrhf

I think it's important that one of the most celebrated goals in a not so distant Hurling era was scored with the foot by nickey English.  Hurling afficionadai marvelled at the skill levels. They would have been standard skills in the repertoire of any club footballer

Fairhead

Quote from: rrhf on April 14, 2012, 11:58:09 AM
I think it's important that one of the most celebrated goals in a not so distant Hurling era was scored with the foot by nickey English.  Hurling afficionadai marvelled at the skill levels. They would have been standard skills in the repertoire of any club footballer

You mean a club soccer player of course? Nicky English kicked that goal off the ground. You hardly see anyone kicking the ball in gaelic football now never mind off the ground.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Fairhead on April 13, 2012, 08:51:50 PM
Hit the nail on the head there. Theres a vast swathe of the country where lip service is played to hurling by county boards but yet look at the uproar about the Kilkenny footballers recently. Now we have this happening in Monaghan which has followed the withdrawals of Longford and Cavan.

Seanie one of the justifications you mentioned earlier was that money is being wasted on senior hurling in the likes in the likes of Monaghan and it would be better spent on kids. Very noble of course and i read the Cavan county board saying the same thing when their hurlers withdrew. Well how are Cavan promoting hurling then? Not very well i would say as they played their Feile na nGael in February and the All Irleand Feile is in Dublin in July. Thats not promoting hurling; thats getting it out of the way as its only an annoyance so football can be played.

When you don't know the situation, it's best not to make wild sweeping statements and assumptions, especially when you're completely wrong
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Fairhead

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 15, 2012, 06:07:57 PM
Quote from: Fairhead on April 13, 2012, 08:51:50 PM

When you don't know the situation, it's best not to make wild sweeping statements and assumptions, especially when you're completely wrong

I will be the first to admit if i have got any facts wrong so please tell me what im wrong about? So i didnt read a match report of the Cavan Feile final being played on the plastic pitch at Breffni Park in Feb? What has Cootehill won that has sent them forward to the All Ireland Feile in Dublin in July if not the Cavan Feile?

Celt_Man

Quote from: Fairhead on April 15, 2012, 11:14:25 PM
Well how are Cavan promoting hurling then? Not very well i would say ....

Cavan at the minute have a Full time Hurling Development Administrator, Ulster Development Officer for Hurling in Fermanagh and Cavan, they have recently appointed 2 Hurling Coaches to focus on two key Urban areas...  They have record participation in Under8, 10s, 12s and 14s so far this year.  While their County Minor Hurling Team beat the Ulster League Division 2 Champions Monaghan and will have high hopes for the Ulster Minor Championship....

Hope that clears it up for ya!!  :)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

johnneycool

I thought this topic was in the GAA threads but seems to have mysteriously moved to the hurling thread?

Why ,oh all powerful moderator?

Fairhead

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 16, 2012, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: Fairhead on April 15, 2012, 11:14:25 PM
Well how are Cavan promoting hurling then? Not very well i would say ....

Cavan at the minute have a Full time Hurling Development Administrator, Ulster Development Officer for Hurling in Fermanagh and Cavan, they have recently appointed 2 Hurling Coaches to focus on two key Urban areas...  They have record participation in Under8, 10s, 12s and 14s so far this year.  While their County Minor Hurling Team beat the Ulster League Division 2 Champions Monaghan and will have high hopes for the Ulster Minor Championship....

Hope that clears it up for ya!!  :)

I see the Cavan minors got beat narrowly by Monaghan in a league semi final last weekend and Monaghan went on to win final on Wednesday. So looking in from the outside it certainly does look like there is good work being done with underage hurling in Cavan. Hopefully all those coaches that you talk about above are getting co-operation from county and clubs and maybe even some of the teams get to use grass pitches in the summer instead of plastic pitches in February  :P

JHume

Are these lads going to play in the Rackard Cup or what?

They've a home match against Donegal this weekend. Are they fielding, or still on strike?

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Yes they are playing under a new management team
Its all about the Hurling.

magpie seanie

Didn't go very well. There must have been a lot of club football fixtures in Monaghan this week.

Yeah

Been following this story and it sounds like a compete debacle!!
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!