Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old yeller

Another game, another win. Good start to the year, would love to see us win this competition.  I know its only the McKenna cup but wins are wins and its a great habit to get into. Its been a long time since we last won it last, under Mattie Kerrigan I think?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on January 12, 2014, 10:30:50 PM
Some interesting odds for the year ahead.

All Ireland SF

Cavan 100/1

NFL DIVISION 3
Outright Betting   
To lift the trophy
Cavan 15/8
Roscommon 3/1
Wexford 9/2
Sligo 8/1
Limerick 10/1
Fermanagh 10/1
Longford 12/1
Offaly 14/1

All - Stars

Alan O'Mara 20/1
Killian Clarke 16/1 F/B
Tomas Corr 33/1 (F/B)
David Givney 16/1 M/F
Gearoid McKiernan 20/1 M/F
Eugene Keating 25/1 H/F
Cian Mackey H/F
Martin Dunne 11/1 F/F
Seanie Johnston 33/1  :D

SFC

Cavan Gaels 8/11   
Ballinagh 10/1   
Gowna 22/1
Ramor United 7/1   
Lavey 12/1   
Redhills 25/1
Kingscourt 7/1   
Cuchullains 16/1   
Drumgoon 40/1
Castlerahan 7/1   
Killeshandra 20/1   
Killygarry 50/1
Mullahoran 10/1   
Drumalee 20/1   
Denn 50/1

Did you not hear he was on the bench today according to some gobshites on hoganstand. Untrue I am told from a reliable source.

I was looking at odds today myself on Paddy Power. Cavan were favourites to beat Down today but Down were shorter odds to win out the McKenna cup. I'm sure there is logic there somewhere!

I wasn't at the game but a great win and the lads seem to be flying fit, obviously keen to start the league strong not like other years. With so many lads making an impact and guys like Turloc Mooney flying, Terry is going to have a seriously hard time keeping everyone happy and picking the right team. Isn't it great to have that problem for a change.

rodney trotter

How are the Gaels as short as 8/11 for the Championship.

Westside

The Seanie Johnston thing seems to be gathering pace. All bullshit I hope.

Great win for the lads today, we're playing a lot of our stronger players so we should be doing well. Good preparation for the League at least, promotion is huge this year.

Itchy

I was there and I didn't see him. Anyway another good show from us but as good a feeling as winning is it is still early and the only thing that matters is beating fermanagh in the league. Best today were Rory Dunne, Givney, Mooney and Keating. Lyng came on and did well. Packie leddy well short of fitness needed but he's not been in the senior team before. Signs are good.

rodney trotter

James McEnroe back from Injury among the Subs and Maloney Derham back on the panel this year. A lot of competition.

Blue in hope

How are the Gaels as short as 8/11 for the Championship.

They have no doubt the best panel in the county. They had six players togged out yesterday.

Some good performances by Cavan players yesterday.The conditions were difficult and players seemed to find it difficult to stay on their feet. I though Givney did very well and caused a lot of problems  in around the square in the first half. Rory Dunne is turning out to be a fine full back something Cavan have been missing for years. Hayes did very well in the back line too. Mooney really came into the game when he went to midfield in the second half. G took part in the warm ups before the game it will be a big bonus to have him back.
Terry will have a stronger panel this year with plenty of competition for places which can only be good.All said it has been a good start to the year.

rodney trotter

Yeah, they have lots of players on the panel alright. Had lots on the panel in 2012 and 2013 and didn't deliver.  Unless canavan can change that. Redhills has 3 players on the panel, and would probaly have 4 if  oisin moynagh wasnt away for the year. 

I would say there will be a few changes for the uuj game. Likes of Damien Reilly Michael Lyng getting a start.l

Blue in hope

Yeah, they have lots of players on the panel alright. Had lots on the panel in 2012 and 2013 and didn't deliver.  Unless canavan can change that. Redhills has 3 players on the panel, and would probaly have 4 if  oisin moynagh wasnt away for the year. 

A lot of internal politics was behind the non performances for the last two years. Good few players are now coming to the end of their careers plus they they have young players coming through who will get their chance under an outside manager.

rodney trotter

Power NI Dr McKenna Cup Group C Round 3. Cavan v UUJ Wednesday 15th January in Kingspan Breffni Park on the 3G pitch at 7.30pm

Hastings Cup Rd3 this Sat 18th Jan v Longford takes place in Abbeylara at 2pm

Rory Dunne was in team of the week again on Hoganstand http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=207534

packiedevlin

Looks like the second year in a row where Cavan have been shafted in relation to games in the McKenna cup. If this continues where colleges pull out surely there's a case to remove them from the competition altogether? Also, colleges having first option on county players, there's little point in that if they don't fulfill their fixtures. It gives more substance to Mickey Harte saying his players should play with the county team.

comeysfield

Packie   How / Why have Cavan been shafted in Dr McKenna Cup

packiedevlin

Was it Queens who pulled out last year leaving us with 2 games (no chance of best runner up) and now this year the game tomorrow night has been cancelled, lucky we had won our first 2 games so qualifying for the semi and getting a third game. Also, its unfair to people who have purchased season tickets for this competition.

stronghold

Quote from: packiedevlin on January 14, 2014, 12:21:19 PM
Looks like the second year in a row where Cavan have been shafted in relation to games in the McKenna cup. If this continues where colleges pull out surely there's a case to remove them from the competition altogether? Also, colleges having first option on county players, there's little point in that if they don't fulfill their fixtures. It gives more substance to Mickey Harte saying his players should play with the county team.

The point is that the colleges do not have first choice. Mickey Harte has taken 6 UUJ players, Monaghan 2 Antrim 2, Down 1. How could any team play missing 11 first team players not counting a few injuries and a number in the middle of exams.
Ulster is the only province that some of the managers ignore the competition regulations and get away with it.

rodney trotter

Cavan will meet Monaghan in Mckenna Cup semi on Sunday. They finished as the best runners up from the groups.