Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Virginia All Ireland win is a start, yes

Niall Lynch is the coach of them and is one of the best in the county.

St Pats have done f**k all for too long,

One Rannafast is about all they have won in about 20 years.

shocking record...I know they are at a disadvantage in one year at McRory,but they should still do better,

Ray Cullivan Senior many years has taken on about 4 different team and has done a trojan amount of work,but help is needed,and its good to see they are appointing a full time coach there according to Brick.

The Under 16's now playing Ulster Football tournaments instead of the extremely overrated FrManning Cup/O Reily Shield against Poor Opposition is also a great step forward and should prepare our minors better.

It would also be good to see one of our clubs end the wait for an Ulster Club Senior title also.

May may be a bit of a bo**ox alright  :D  :-* ,but hes correct in this case,just like the Wexford Hurling manager said about them challenging Killkenny, we are about 5 years from challenging for Ulster Titles,if we start correcting the problems now.

Myles
Walsh can kick the ball straight,he can catch the ball great aswell,
hes just more interested in handpassing the ball to someone else,and breaking the ball and someone elses jaw at the same time these days.
Austrailia ruined him.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2007, 05:29:16 PM

Myles
Walsh can kick the ball straight,he can catch the ball great aswell,
hes just more interested in handpassing the ball to someone else,and breaking the ball and someone elses jaw at the same time these days.
Austrailia ruined him.

I'd say he has only caught about 3-4 balls all year for cavan and that may sound bad but i wouldn't think it is far wrong.

Drung V Drumlane          -Draw with Drumlane winning replay (sorry C4ever)

I'd agree with this but there will be no need for a replay because there are a lot of players going away on holidays but im sure every team has this problem and with the weather were having i wouldn't blame anyone for heading off. 

Homer

Quote from: maverick on July 10, 2007, 10:43:06 PM
Also I know the next comment might create a few raised eyebrows but I think Balieborough will beat Ballinagh. what with the 'naghs ability to c**k up at every opportunity and and recent reports i've heard about a resurgence in the east cavan club (though you wouldn't thnk it from their results) i'm thinking we could be about to see an early upset. i mean there's gonna be at least one big upset. there usually is, and i have a funny feeling its gonna be that match.

Not shocked at this either. We've been having a poor run of form lately losing to Crosserlough and Gowna, luckily beating Lacken and Drumalee and drawing with Denn after a woeful display from our forwards. Also Bailieborough are nowhere near as bad as their recent results have shown and I'm sure they will relish the underdogs tag. To put it in gambling terms there's better value on the shamrogí.

Walsh was completely and utterly ruined by the Austrailians alright but when you think of it, in 1998 we had 3 players on the Irish u16 international rules team; Walsh, John Teirney and Martin Donohoe. Walsh being underage the following year went on to captain the Irish side. The future looked very bright.  :-\

Glad to see St. Pats taken some action, as BHMan said Cullivan senior is a bit of bo**ox alright but he gives great devotion to the development of GAA in Pats (remember he is also involved in the Hurling set-up too, limited as it is). To be honest I really think this is big factor, I mean after a couple of years of playing under Ray you can get fairly sick of him and maybe that's why some players are losing interest come Ranafast / McRory level.

Cavanfan

Yes indeed there is talent in Cavan and I believe that this talent is being recognised! There are are few problems with how we treat these players with talent.
We start them too early at each level which means they may have to play with 3/4 teams which is very unfair. And they are the worst in the world if they let down a team, by not going to trainings even though hey may have had a gruelling training session the previous evening. They can't please everyone and this leads to them being stressed out and this is probably one of the main reasons injury occurs and they are out for long periods off time. Some continue to have the hunger while there are some who leave football by the wayside. Sometimes not enough respect for the players from the people they should be getting it from.

Another big problem in the Cavan team is the fact that so many of the players are selfish on the pitch. At club level they may be expected to do all the work but when it comes to senior county unless you play as a unit you will never win anything. I mean has noone told them that unless they win they in fact will get no glory even tho they may score 5/6 points. Sometimes Cavan fans look upon the fact that someone has scored five points in a game and take that away from the game instead of actually seeing the real problem that the same player had another 5/6 points off target shooting from silly angles whereby it could have been passed off to a player in a better position.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan through to Buncrana Cup U-16 football final
12 July 2007

Cavan under-age football got a timely boost last Saturday, 7th of July at Kinawley, Co. Fermanagh when they defeated a strong and well-balanced Tyrone side in the semi-final of the annual Buncrana Cup – Ulster U-16 competition on a scoreline of 3-8 to 1-12.

This was a very exciting game from start to finish between two well-matched sides and at the interval it was the Breffni side who were ahead by 2-4 to 0-7.
The Red Hands side came back strongly in the second-half and put Mickey Graham's Cavan side under real pressure. With the game entering its final five minutes the Tyrone side went ahead by a point and Cavan looked in real trouble. However they showed admirable commitment and forced a free to equalise from Darragh Seagrave. The Drumlane youngster who came into the Cavan side as a sub proved something of a hero in those final minutes when after a nice move he finished the ball to the Tyrone net after being set up by the impressive Kevin Tierney.
In the final minutes Tyrone went all out in attack, and really had the Cavan defence under pressure. However, the Breffni side weren't to be denied on this occasion, although they had to sweat it out as Tyrone got in for a goal to reduce the leeway to a single point. There was no more scores in the game as the Cavan side held on for a narrow but deserved victory.
A great win against a quality side for the Cavan side, and team-manager was fulsome in his praise for the players efforts in the game. However, he won't settle for anything less than an outright win in the competition as the Cavan side now go through to this season's prestigious Buncrana Cup.
Cavan – Sean Brady (Mullahoran); David Doherty (Killeshandra), Killian Brady (Mullahoran), Tomas Rogers (Kingscourt Stars); Darragh Brady (Drumlane), Conor Tierney (Bailieboro' Shamrocks), Michael Brady (Mullahoran); Packy Leddy (Redhills), Barry Reilly (Kingscourt Stars); David Smith (Killinkere), Patrick King (Killeshandra), Christy Shiels (Lurgan); Patrick Rudden (Laragh Utd.), Kevin Tierney (Ballyhaise), Ray Lynch (Mullahoran).
Subs used – Shane Reilly (Killeshandra) and Darragh Seagrave (Drumlane)

These are the types of tournaments against Northern Opposition we should be playing.Theres a difference in playing The Roscommons/westmeaths and Tyrone/Derry's at this level.

CC1

I hear that Tierney lad is nifty enough. He scored 0-10 against Kingscourt in the U16 Rionn A final a week or so ago. 0-8 of which from play... Not bad going at all! How do you rate him BHM?
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

BallyhaiseMan

Kevin Tierney is a class wee player no doubt.
Best prospect in the club at the minute no doubt,but hes only 15, so its hard to judge how good he will be at minor,if he grows etc,
Versitile aswell, can play Full Back,CHB,Midfield and any forward position aswell.
if he can continue to improve at this rate ,we will have a genius on our hands at senior level within 5 years.

gortnaleck

cavan4ever

yeah he is a son of barry's which is a good thing because he will look after him well and make sure he isn't flogged to death like other good talents in the county.

maverick

I have heard from a number of people how good this Tierney lad is. He destroyed that Kingscourt team in the U-14 final aswell if im not mistaken 2 years ago?However we must remember not to put too much pressure on these lads and allow them to develop without thinking they need to prove themselves at every grade all at the same time. Too many good players have gone by the wasteside in the past couple of years.

shotstopper1

Tierney no doubt has the ability to become a regular fixture on the Cavan seniors for years to come.Size shouldn't be a problem, and he has an eye for goal and can use either foot.Barry himself was a brilliant talent underage but unfortunately due to illness in his late teens early twenties he wasn't able to transfer this to the full in his senior career.As has being said hopefully he will be able to look after the talent that Kevin is.
It might also be well to note that of the U-16 named both Kevin and Barry Reilly (The Stars) are also playing soccer with Monaghan Utd.(there may be more of them but I'm not too sure)

Hollow Man

Tierney looks like a really exciting prospect. Saw him in Cootehill against the Stars and he ran the show, although it was absolutely ridiculous that K'court brought Barry Reilly back to mark him.

Reilly is worth four or five points to the team, and they may as well not have had him at all because with the service Tierney was getting and the form he was in, he would have destroyed anyone. Kingscourt would have won it only for this switch in my opinion.

Tierney has the size and strength, but to make it to the top he'll need to work on his bad foot a bit, he is over reliant on one (think it's his left?). Class act though.

cavan4ever

It doesn't say much for us when we have to talk about a 15 yr old  :-\

BallyhaiseMan

Indeed C4ever its bad when we are talking about our under 16's   :'(
young Barry Reily of Kingscourt is a class wee player aswell

a young lad called Joe Dillon of Kingscourt isnt a bad wee talent either and has good bloodlines aswell.

Barry Tierney is himself an outstanding trainer,been lucky enough to be coached by him a few times,so Kevin will be fine.

One thing on that under 16 County team,

Not one Cavan Gaels player  :o

its a long time since that happened. Shift in Power?

when i was playing underage we were always one of the best Roinn B (Division Two) teams.
we played those gaels underage teams in friendlies and they wiped us out,along with the rest of division one in Cavan.
they dont seem to have the same talent coming through either.

trim blue

B'Haiseman is that a son of the '80's Joe Dillon you mentioned?
ah sure tog out anyway