Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

It's been the best version of a secondary competition in recent years but the north/south groupings are still silly and should go

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 21, 2022, 01:33:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2022, 07:42:33 AM
I'd pertain (and to my own surprise) that this season is the most successful and well received iteration of the AI B championship in history.

So anyone wanting to f**k with a format that has delivered needs a long spell in a dark room.

One Swallow doesn't make a summer and all that ;)

The introduction of groups/round robins will only prolong the agony of counties who don't have much interest to the cup, and for that matter what was the big difference to the Tommy Murphy cup? Was in no entry into the championship? Can't recall

Which counties had no interest in Tailteann Cup this year? I think all bought into it those that made their exit early simply weren't good enough to go any further. Saying that I'm not sure if it needs a group format but that's what was voted in by congress.

The Tommy Murphy was stand alone poorly run organised competition. Plenty of counties and players had no interest playing in it. A few that did struggled with numbers for training.

It lasted 5 years,  year 1 teams that lost in the early rounds of the championship were invited to play, but only four actually competed.

Year 2 brought more interest with 12 teams partaking the final year which your own Antrim won i think just 8 took part.

Year 1 of the Tailteann Cup has been a success but this competition can't be fully judged until at least 3 years into it.

johnnycool

I'd pertain (and to my own surprise) that this season is the most successful and well received iteration of the AI B championship in history.

So anyone wanting to f**k with a format that has delivered needs a long spell in a dark room.

The introduction of groups/round robins will only prolong the agony of counties who don't have much interest to the cup, and for that matter what was the big difference to the Tommy Murphy cup? Was in no entry into the championship? Can't recall

Certainly Croke Park have upped the promotion of the games and that's helped no end, but a word of caution in that the Christy Ring final used to be played before an AI semi-final and was well received by the competing counties, getting your day in the sun with the traditional hurling powers and all that, but that was moved to a Saturday with one man and his dog in attendance after a few years.

Be interesting to see how the promotion of the Tailteann cup is kept at this level.

full moon

I note Kevin McStay already calling for a third tier. No not for me. Unless he wants the first tier to be 5 teams! Two tiers is enough. 

full moon

Quote from: johnnycool on June 21, 2022, 06:34:13 PM

Certainly Croke Park have upped the promotion of the games and that's helped no end, but a word of caution in that the Christy Ring final used to be played before an AI semi-final and was well received by the competing counties, getting your day in the sun with the traditional hurling powers and all that, but that was moved to a Saturday with one man and his dog in attendance after a few years.

Be interesting to see how the promotion of the Tailteann cup is kept at this level.
Agree with that. That's why I'd imagine the group's will do this competition no favours next year.

Like the Christy Ring they could quietly push it into the background and off the TV

Armagh18

Quote from: full moon on June 21, 2022, 06:37:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 21, 2022, 06:34:13 PM

Agree with that. That's why I'd imagine the group's will do this competition no favours next year.

Like the Christy Ring they could quietly push it into the background and off the TV
I don't think it'll go the way of the lower hurling competitions simply because the interest in football is a lot higher in the weaker football counties than the interest in hurling in the weaker hurling counties. Maybe a third tier could work for the very weakest teams in division 4 plus Kilkenny and couple of the English/Scottish teams?

yellowcard

I see that the RTE viewing figures for the Tailteann semi finals were higher than for 3 of the provincial finals, all bar the Ulster final. So to begin introducing a League based competition next season when spectator match fatigue will take hold makes little sense. But it sounds like it's already been decided.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2022, 11:42:01 AM
Unless the Counties kick up at CC the divide will no doubt be in again next year in the Groups.
Mod...some posters give the impression that changing it to Groups next year was only decided in the last few days ::)

I can't see how the north/south divide can possibly be retained given the rules that are already in place regarding seeding for the group stages next year.
I don't think it would be workable for the knock-out stages either.

Rossfan

Hadn't thought of that.
The seeding thing would make it harder alright...e.g if your 4 2nd seeds were Sligo, Fermanagh, Longford and Antrim you couldn't designate 2 of them as "Southern".

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 20, 2022, 10:22:45 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on June 20, 2022, 05:34:20 PM

Could go straight knockout and the 8 teams that get knockout in the first round go into a 3rd level tournament called the tailteaan plate or somehthing but there would  have to be an incentive to win that but that would probably be a step too far to have  a  3rd tier competition

Could there be a Junior Championship of:

New York, Waterford, Kilkenny, London, Carlow, Scotland, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Warwickshire, Hertfordshire, Gloucestershire.

Carlow beat Tipp in the Tailteann Cup this year. Hard to go drawing lines for a third tier to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

The Junior championship this year has 4 teams.

Games to be play Friday July 8th a double header in Abbottstown GAA Centre.

Warwickshire v New York 5pm
London v Kilkenny 7pm

The final to be played two days later Sunday the 10th.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2022, 10:32:58 PM
Hadn't thought of that.
The seeding thing would make it harder alright...e.g if your 4 2nd seeds were Sligo, Fermanagh, Longford and Antrim you couldn't designate 2 of them as "Southern".

This is my issue too. The thing is the split is completely arbitrary, and depends on who is in it yearly, and certain midland counties could jump to one or the other depending on who is in it. Longford and Cavan were in North this year, but Westmeath which borders on both was South. And we're supposed to believe it's due to prevent big travel costs and such? No sense in it, get rid. If this was a concern, the Qualifiers would be split but they're not. And teams want to play different counties, not the ones they get year on year.

Look-Up!

CP saying they were concerned about travelling costs is PR bull. But I'd imagine the logic behind it was that it's a burgeoning competition with weaker counties involved and a local derby or shorter travel distance would help improve attendance to a low-key fixture. AI qualifiers are different in that it's already an established format with better, stronger supported teams with genuine routes to a possible AI semi-final. So attendance would be taken for granted with possible glamour ties likely to come out of hat.

Throw It Up Ref

The Tailteann Cup seems to have been a success. Giving the games their own weekend was brilliant. With no soccer or rugby to contend with the games really took centre stage. Being from Ulster we rarely get to see much from counties outside the province. There was some fantastic football on show and 4 teams really going for it.

Look-Up!

Yes I think it's been good but little will have improved for some teams e.g Down had a very poor year with 2 bad defeats.

Still it's the way forward and will evolve with a round robin and possible intermediate competition introduced. But think they need leave the hare sit for a while before tinkering too much.