Murder of Aisling Murphy

Started by trileacman, January 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: JimStynes on January 17, 2022, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 17, 2022, 10:40:45 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2022, 10:03:31 AM
There is disturbing evidence of polarisation ie men vs women . I think some values need to be reassessed. Women seem to be looking for that. It will take time.

Men v women
Conservatives v liberals
Woke v traditionalists

It's getting worse. Most people fall in the middle of issues but they are being drowned out by extremists on both sides screaming at each other. I blame social media.

That's a good way of putting it! Social media is a lot to blame. Everything is a hashtag.

In this case social media was fed by the old traditional media releasing leaks from Gardai. But I do accept the polarisation on social media is awful to see.

Orior

Quote from: Itchy on January 17, 2022, 11:12:02 AM
There is disturbing evidence of polarisation ie men vs women . I think some values need to be reassessed. Women seem to be looking for that. It will take time.

Men v women
Conservatives v liberals
Woke v traditionalists

It's getting worse. Most people fall in the middle of issues but they are being drowned out by extremists on both sides screaming at each other. I blame social media.

That's a good way of putting it! Social media is a lot to blame. Everything is a hashtag.

In this case social media was fed by the old traditional media releasing leaks from Gardai. But I do accept the polarisation on social media is awful to see.

Totally agree
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dougal Maguire

A serious feminist bandwagon is now developing on foot of this tragic incident with everyone from the IRFU, men only golf clubs, inequality in pay and job opportunities and Irish mammies being blamed for developing a culture which would appear to breed men who will murder women. And all these accusations being made without a single shred of supporting evidence. For instance where does Ireland sit in comparison with other countries as regards domestic violence statistics. How many Irish men have randomly murdered women?  Aisling Murphys murder was a heinous action it's very wrong to use it as a means to  but those who are using it pursue their own agenda need to be called out. If it turns out to be a foreign national will that then be open house for the racist agenda to take centre stage
Careful now

seafoid

Men v women
Conservatives v liberals
Woke v traditionalists

#hashtag
Social media is an echo chamber but polarisation comes from somewhere else.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

You can either read the social media about it or not, I chose not too, there were some other #fights on facebook which I just deleted them rather than have it popping up all the time.

I've two daughters, one similar age, reading the story is heartbreaking enough, without it being a 24/7 thing, my wife is stressed enough that one works in a bar in Belfast and lives in Belfast with friends from college, having this reminding that she is walking home from work isn't good for our health!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dag Dog

It's an appalling tragedy and dreadful for the girl's family and friends.
Agree with a lot of posts here. People, especially on social media can't wait to use these events to further their own agenda.

Saffrongael

Has Allison Morris weighed in yet? She reckons the weather is misogynistic
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

RedHand88

Simon McConkey is in the radio saying men should take lessons/get a licence to go out socially.

Im beginning to think we are living in a simulation and someone somewhere is pushing buttons.

greatpoint

Quote from: full moon on January 16, 2022, 07:49:36 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on January 16, 2022, 07:40:42 PM
Whatever happened with the needle 'spiking' crisis pre-Christmas?
Likely quietly dropped by the media when it was clear it was more nonsense.

As in the claims weren't genuine? It's very strange to see such a furore created and then seemingly completely dropped with no explanation.

Dag Dog

I don't know about the needle spikings but a lot of the claimed cases of drinks spiking are simply the person getting blotto on alcohol.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 17, 2022, 03:45:21 PM

Can't stand her. Hate the world.

Good rest that poor girl and her family.

Orior

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 17, 2022, 07:18:19 PM

Hey, easy on. She was physically abused by her ex-husband.

I think she is doing a grand job standing up for catholics in the protestant Belfast Telegraph.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Saffrongael

Quote from: Orior on January 17, 2022, 09:42:28 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 17, 2022, 07:18:19 PM

Hey, easy on. She was physically abused by her ex-husband.

I think she is doing a grand job standing up for catholics in the protestant Belfast Telegraph.

She is an arsehole
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

I don't know what to make of her tbh. Is she using violence against women to make a name for herself or using her name to raise the violence against women angle.

I know that is glass half full vs glass half empty but one thing that stood out for me was when Naomi long got significant abuse by one individual on Twitter regarding her weight.(it was really vitriolic) she runs an article on it however if she had researched, or maybe she did, maybe she would have seen that the same boy did the same to a male sdlp councillor. He was a piece of shit and it was nothing to do with misogyny.

I worry sometimes that the mens attitude to women and violence etc , which need a lot of attention might I add, like this may fall into the cry wolf territory if things which aren't in this category are labelled as it.