Murder of Aisling Murphy

Started by trileacman, January 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 15, 2022, 11:02:12 AM
Terrible tragedy & I see lots of "this must stop" type comment. Has anyone come up with any ideas how to prevent what I see as unpreventable lone wolf/bad bastard attacks ? Thankfully they are uncommon here
'This must stop' type comments relate to all attacks by men on women, not lone wolf attacks.

yellowcard

It's understandable that people want the perpetrator caught as soon as possible after this shocking murder and you would think that given the fact that it was in a public setting in broad daylight that there will be a very good chance of a conviction. As for people slating the Gardai, well the public do not have all of the available information so I would think it is sensible to wait for due process to run its course. 

mouview

Terrible tragedy & I see lots of "this must stop" type comment. Has anyone come up with any ideas how to prevent what I see as unpreventable lone wolf/bad bastard attacks ? Thankfully they are uncommon here

Exactly. As repugnant is this and similar type crimes are, hoping that this is a watershed of sorts is unrealistic; it's like hoping all crime in the world ceases.

seafoid

Most women are murdered by those close to them. It's a disturbing feature of the human condition. Larry Murphy style  butchery is less common.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

The man who was arrested has given an interview. Having seen his picture and a picture of the alleged second person it's understandable why a mistake was made. They both look quite similar and the first man arrested has some history with crime and also he was on the canal around the time of the incident. He was also picked out of a line up by someone. The big issue was that his name was made known. The thing is I don't think that's all in the Gardai either as in a town like Tullamore everyone knows everyone's business. As soon as his house was raided by the Guards and he was arrested the inevitable 2+2 happened. The Gardai could have held off with the info that they did and that was a failing on their part but I don't believe that operationally they did much wrong in terms of the arrest

tyrone08

Quote from: mouview on January 15, 2022, 01:51:53 PM

Exactly. As repugnant is this and similar type crimes are, hoping that this is a watershed of sorts is unrealistic; it's like hoping all crime in the world ceases.

I have seen some truly shocking tweets. It was a horrendous incident but I have seen tweets where women have said "men please stop murdering us". Relatively speaking thankfully these incidents are low compared to other countries. More education may help and tougher prison sentences for domestic abusebbut unfortunately there are always going to be sickos out there.

Saffrongael

Quote from: tyrone08 on January 15, 2022, 02:54:50 PM

I have seen some truly shocking tweets. It was a horrendous incident but I have seen tweets where women have said "men please stop murdering us". Relatively speaking thankfully these incidents are low compared to other countries. More education may help and tougher prison sentences for domestic abusebbut unfortunately there are always going to be sickos out there.

Unfortunately the looney bin hashtag brigade come out and some try and make it about themselves
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

JimStynes

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 15, 2022, 03:00:24 PM

Unfortunately the looney bin hashtag brigade come out and some try and make it about themselves

Said it the other day. The whole thing about the young girl who has lost her life will be taken over by the social media bandwagon with hashtags about men and then counter hashtags. Social media is a cesspit at times. I feel incredibly sorry for that poor family. They will never get over this and their lives have been changed forever because of some sicko. No doubt they will be hounded by the press in the coming months too. 

Tubberman

Quote from: JimStynes on January 15, 2022, 03:12:59 PM

Said it the other day. The whole thing about the young girl who has lost her life will be taken over by the social media bandwagon with hashtags about men and then counter hashtags. Social media is a cesspit at times. I feel incredibly sorry for that poor family. They will never get over this and their lives have been changed forever because of some sicko. No doubt they will be hounded by the press in the coming months too. 

I doubt very much her family will be hounded by the press. The Irish press are a lot more sympathetic and have more respect than their British counterparts.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

tyrone08

Quote from: Tubberman on January 15, 2022, 03:28:23 PM

I doubt very much her family will be hounded by the press. The Irish press are a lot more sympathetic and have more respect than their British counterparts.

Think mickey harte would disagree. Think he said he was called over 60 times one weekend following the death of his daughter by someone from the Irish media.

JimStynes

Quote from: tyrone08 on January 15, 2022, 04:06:29 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 15, 2022, 03:28:23 PM

Think mickey harte would disagree. Think he said he was called over 60 times one weekend following the death of his daughter by someone from the Irish media.

Was going to say the same. In his book he talked about a journalist calling to his house to give him emails ppl had sent about Michaela. He opened up a bit to her and they talked for a while. Their private chat ended up on the front page the next day.

Main Street

I read in the Indo that the Gardai investigation rapidly wallowed into the mire  of great Gardai c**k ups from times past. Not only picking up an innocent bystander, the nearest foreigner,  but despite being faced with incontrovertible proof of innocence, persisted in treating his family home as a crime scene and attempted to evict  all inhabitants, one  person of ill health resisted and is now in prison awaiting trial on charges  something akin to obstructing a Gardai investigation. How can a person be charged with obstructing  a botched inept investigation?

Hound

As BCB outlined above, hard to blame the Gardai when what seems to be a reliable eye witness picked him out as the assailant, there was proof he was in the area and he was known to police.  It looked like it had to be him and they just had to piece it together. The house was ransacked during the investigation, not after they had all the evidence that cleared him.

It seems awful what happened to the Romanian family. The sister must have had some reaction to get herself arrested. According to the original suspect, she has mental health problems, so all very unfortunate and presumably they are entitled to compensation.

At least they seem pretty sure they have the right guy now. Not sure how BCB knows what he looks like, but he says he looks very similar to the original suspect

Itchy

Justice Minister and woman Helen McEntee asks in todays Sunday Indo just how is it that nothing has been done about violence against woman for so long.

Jez Helen, maybe we should ask the people who are in charge of law and order.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardai-closing-in-on-ashling-murphys-killer-with-a-new-chief-suspect-41244432.html

RedHand88

Quote from: Itchy on January 16, 2022, 07:58:30 AM
Justice Minister and woman Helen McEntee asks in todays Sunday Indo just how is it that nothing has been done about violence against woman for so long.

Jez Helen, maybe we should ask the people who are in charge of law and order.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardai-closing-in-on-ashling-murphys-killer-with-a-new-chief-suspect-41244432.html

She also asks why violence against women is tolerated.

I do not know anybody who tolerates it.