Murder of Aisling Murphy

Started by trileacman, January 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 16, 2022, 08:16:45 AM
Quote from: Itchy on January 16, 2022, 07:58:30 AM
Justice Minister and woman Helen McEntee asks in todays Sunday Indo just how is it that nothing has been done about violence against woman for so long.

Jez Helen, maybe we should ask the people who are in charge of law and order.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardai-closing-in-on-ashling-murphys-killer-with-a-new-chief-suspect-41244432.html

She also asks why violence against women is tolerated.

I do not know anybody who tolerates it.

You're not wrong, but all I see on twitter is for men to speak out against all sorts of abuse and if we don't we're giving free rein to allow it to happen.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hound on January 16, 2022, 07:11:33 AM

At least they seem pretty sure they have the right guy now. Not sure how BCB knows what he looks like, but he says he looks very similar to the original suspect

I've seen a photo from CCTV which is allegedly the second man on the bicycle they are looking for. I don't know if it's him but if it is then you can understand how there was the mistake in identifying the Romanian.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 16, 2022, 08:57:22 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 16, 2022, 08:16:45 AM
Quote from: Itchy on January 16, 2022, 07:58:30 AM
Justice Minister and woman Helen McEntee asks in todays Sunday Indo just how is it that nothing has been done about violence against woman for so long.

Jez Helen, maybe we should ask the people who are in charge of law and order.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardai-closing-in-on-ashling-murphys-killer-with-a-new-chief-suspect-41244432.html

She also asks why violence against women is tolerated.

I do not know anybody who tolerates it.

You're not wrong, but all I see on twitter is for men to speak out against all sorts of abuse and if we don't we're giving free rein to allow it to happen.

I read a lot of this too. I have never known a man who is physically abusive towards a woman. If I did I would like to think I would try and do something but I have never faced that situation thankfully.

Itchy

Yep a man cannot open his mouth at the moment to point out some of the gross generalisations being made against us as a gender. However I've been thinking too and there are things we as men can do...

1- not partake or ignore in the brain dead locker room talk about women, their bodies, their looks etc. This is what makes some men think of women as a piece of meat rather than a person.
2- same for the street side comments, wolf whistling loutish shite. Don't partake,  don't tolerate it.
3- teach our sons to respect women.

A very many of us I'm sure do these things already but some clearly don't.

seafoid

It takes a long time before someone becomes a murderer.
They go through various different stages , probably starting in early childhood when we learn to respect other people. The courts are full of people who flip given a trigger. 
Some families are toxic. Some people are psychopaths. How to intervene in the process is the question.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

The Sindo may as well have named the "person of interest".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Men and society objectify woman. They're seen and rated as objects of desire first, people second. Where you draw the line in what is acceptable varies from person to person, but that's what it comes down to.

Even the supposed code where a man will back off approaching a woman because he sees she has a boyfriend or husband is still treating her as something to be possessed. The "respect" of backing off is given to the other man, not to the woman herself.

As men we need to start teaching our sons how to respect and treat woman as people and to stop either engaging in or giving tacit approval to abusive behaviour, even if its only something as "harmless" as wolf-whistling or blowing the horn as you drive past.

Woman are absolutely right to be broad in their accusations and men need to just shut the f**k up and listen. We're all part of the abusive system that exists.

Rossfan

Start with Tabloids and their photos!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

I think.making women feel uncomfortable and murdering women are 2 separate things. We can probably work on the latter. 244 murders since 96 is about 10 per year. Maybe 6 are in relationships.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 16, 2022, 11:53:09 AM
And when a woman backs off pursuing a relationship with a man upon seeing that he is already in a relationship, is it because she sees him as the possession of another? Is she giving all of the respect to the other woman and none to the man?

I do agree that we should strive for a society in which women are given a hell of a lot more respect. That doesn't stop some of the narrative on this being bullshit.

I'm probably cancelled now  ::)

Oh you poor victim.

If and when men experience even a tiny fraction of the unwanted and unsolicited attention that the average woman (without a man) does day in, day out, whether it's in the pub, in the gym, walking down the road or out for a run, you might have a point.

J70

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2022, 12:18:53 PM
I think.making women feel uncomfortable and murdering women are 2 separate things. We can probably work on the latter. 244 murders since 96 is about 10 per year. Maybe 6 are in relationships.

Obviously two very separate things in degree.

But definitely a lot of commonality in underlying reasons.

And we can work on both.

nrico2006

Plus not all attention is unwanted.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 16, 2022, 12:37:24 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 16, 2022, 12:26:00 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 16, 2022, 11:53:09 AM
And when a woman backs off pursuing a relationship with a man upon seeing that he is already in a relationship, is it because she sees him as the possession of another? Is she giving all of the respect to the other woman and none to the man?

I do agree that we should strive for a society in which women are given a hell of a lot more respect. That doesn't stop some of the narrative on this being bullshit.

I'm probably cancelled now  ::)

Oh you poor victim.

If and when men experience even a tiny fraction of the unwanted and unsolicited attention that the average woman (without a man) does day in, day out, whether it's in the pub, in the gym, walking down the road or out for a run, you might have a point.

But nobody is speaking against any of that. We all accept that there is a problem with those things.
It's the shite people like you add in, such as your "backing off" theory that is complete and utter nonsense and should be allowed to be called out for such. Yet, it isn't. Why? Because I would only have a point if all those other things happened to men. Repeat the cycle.

If its such nonsense, why is it only women without men who are subject to attention, harassment and worse from other men? The only variable is the presence of the second man, yet that changes the whole situation.

If woman are just as culpable in these attitudes, make the case.

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 16, 2022, 01:00:06 PM
Plus not all attention is unwanted.

So these women are all full of shit?