Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Mayo left the game behind them on the scoring board, but they hit a very lucky goal to go 4 then 5 clear. Then with Man advantage and 2 terrible mistakes lost the game. Sorta normal thing for Mayo to do to be honest.

Wildweasel74

Nice Sligo too, Change is good, but they need to increasing their point taking nxt day out considerably.

rodney trotter

A mad game. It took Sligo a long time to score in the second half and then got 2 gifts of goals. Well done Sligo

marty34

Not too often a team wins a provincial scoring 4 pts.

Well done Sligo.

Goals win matches and all that.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: joemamas on April 20, 2022, 08:22:29 PM
Well done to Sligo. Only saw second half, to their credit they seemed way more intent on trying to score when they had the ball than Mayo did.

This exactly, they utilised the ball more efficiently than Mayo when they attacked. That's three games in a row the Mayo players fell asleep for the last 10 or so minutes.

Well done Sligo, no complaints. I thought initially the red was warrented but on seeing it again, I wouldn't be too sure.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Substandard

Fair play Sligo- was gutted last week, but then you'd think of Red Óg and all the people down the years living for an evening like this evening.
Well done, and best of luck representing the province- nothing to fear now, and all to gain.

snoopdog

Well done Sligo. Always good to see someone else win a title. Was this the same sligo team that won a minor a couple of years
Back? Best of luck in the All Ireland. 

Cunny Funt

Quote from: snoopdog on April 21, 2022, 08:13:10 AM
Well done Sligo. Always good to see someone else win a title. Was this the same sligo team that won a minor a couple of years
Back? Best of luck in the All Ireland.

Won Connacht minor last year keeper Kyle Davey, James Donlon, Conor Johnston, Dylan Walsh, Luke Marren starters on both teams. The rest of this Sligo U20 team would be from their 2019 minors who was as good as any team in Connacht that year but their management got confused by the format. 2020 they reached the Connacht final beating Mayo in the semi final.

fearsiuil

Congrats to Sligo, kept going to the final whistle like all winning teams do. Best of luck representing Connacht in the all Ireland section.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 20, 2022, 08:45:18 PM
Mayo left the game behind them on the scoring board, but they hit a very lucky goal to go 4 then 5 clear. Then with Man advantage and 2 terrible mistakes lost the game. Sorta normal thing for Mayo to do to be honest.

To be honest, it;s not a normal thing for Mayo teams in Connacht. Lazy analysis. Where has this happened before?

Well Done to Sligo. Good to see an under-dog county get Silverware and hopefully they can build on this!

Cunny Funt

First round of the group format U17 championship tonight at 7pm. Team that finishes top reaches the final, 2nd and 3rd will have a play off/semi final.

Galway v Roscommon in Tuam
Mayo v Leitrim in Ballina

Games are streamed on Connachtgaa.ie for 10€

Blowitupref

Mayo and Galway looking strong at Minor level this year.

Galway 3-19 Roscommon 1-12
Mayo 2-16 Leitrim 0-6
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

We were quite poor by all accounts and feckin Mayowestros up next :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on April 22, 2022, 09:38:13 PM
We were quite poor by all accounts and feckin Mayowestros up next :-\

I wouldn't lose hope yet Ros, while we have a lot of talent especially in the full forward and full back lines, it was all individual stuff with a lot of silly mistakes. We didn't seem to have a coherent game plan and there was a lot of typical Mayo soloing into trouble leading to turnovers. Had about 6 or 7 bad wides as well.

Rossfan

I'm not too confident  Crete.
A chap I cobsider a good judge of football told me a few months ago that the Minors weren't hectic this year. He also said "I wouldn't be depending on u20s either".
But ya never know with young lads especially since it went to u17.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM