Payment options via phone

Started by Tony Baloney, September 24, 2020, 07:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Weans are back to school and they do a lot of fannying about after school between gym and training etc. Always yapping about no money for food etc. (we are a cashless house in general!) so anyone know the best option to allow them to use their phone to pay. I don't want to load my card on for obvious reasons  :D but surely there is something I could top up which means even if they haven't cash they can pay via contactless. Opening their own account the best option?

JoG2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 24, 2020, 07:03:40 PM
Weans are back to school and they do a lot of fannying about after school between gym and training etc. Always yapping about no money for food etc. (we are a cashless house in general!) so anyone know the best option to allow them to use their phone to pay. I don't want to load my card on for obvious reasons  :D but surely there is something I could top up which means even if they haven't cash they can pay via contactless. Opening their own account the best option?

Not by phone, but would GoHenry debit (contactless) cards not do the job? Parent app controls spend limit etc our 10 year old has one, great job

Milltown Row2

Daughters have own account, transferring money is immediate, youngest had Apple pay and uses her phone at the shop!

If I tried that the dirty WhatsApp videos would appear!

I put in a tenner a week (no where near enough) wife adds to it also no doubt..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Revolut, best financial tool I've ever used.

armaghniac

Quote from: OgraAnDun on September 24, 2020, 07:42:15 PM

There is a Revolut junior, might be the job.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Cheers lads will check out some of those options.

gallsman

Revolut does not have a contactless payment functionality via its app but you can add your cards to Google, Apple and Samsung Pay.

For payments via phone, the phone will need an NFC chip. They're pretty much ubiquitous these days, but some cheaper phones will still be missing them.

gallsman

Check Curve out while you're at it. Complements Revolut brilliantly.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on September 24, 2020, 08:37:58 PM
Revolut does not have a contactless payment functionality via its app but you can add your cards to Google, Apple and Samsung Pay.

For payments via phone, the phone will need an NFC chip. They're pretty much ubiquitous these days, but some cheaper phones will still be missing them.
They iPhone XRs so should be okay on that front. Will look at Revolut.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 24, 2020, 08:53:34 PM

Well la dee da! A lot of phone for school kids!

Revolut and Apple Pay will meet your needs perfectly. Whether you set them up as junior accounts or give them their own, you can control how much you fund them, and can top them up instantaneously.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on September 24, 2020, 09:00:15 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 24, 2020, 08:53:34 PM

Well la dee da! A lot of phone for school kids!

Revolut and Apple Pay will meet your needs perfectly. Whether you set them up as junior accounts or give them their own, you can control how much you fund them, and can top them up instantaneously.
I didnt mean it like that  ;D  (their contracts were cheaper than the existing contract for Galaxy S8s!)

Just checked there and the junior card isn't compatible with Apple Pay yet I might crack on ahead anyway.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: gallsman on September 24, 2020, 08:41:17 PM

Check Curve out while you're at it. Complements Revolut brilliantly.

Cheers, I'll have a look at it!