Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: maddog on January 27, 2022, 08:02:23 AM
Struggling with a bike decision myself.
I've a Trek Madone 5.2 (older bike), really like it but its a 56cm and i have the seatpost near as high as it will go. Probably need a size or 2 up.  The cassette is 11-28 and i have an event coming up that involves lots of uphill so would like to go for a 32 or a 34 on the back. That means swapping out the rear mech to a long cage which in turn probably means upgrading from 10 speed to 11 speed which means new shifters.
Yep think answered my own question.
New bike.

What is the rear derailleur?

Some of those short cage shimano derailleurs can be made to accommodate a 30t. 

maddog

Quote from: grounded on January 27, 2022, 08:29:34 AM
I've a Trek Madone 5.2 (older bike), really like it but its a 56cm and i have the seatpost near as high as it will go. Probably need a size or 2 up.  The cassette is 11-28 and i have an event coming up that involves lots of uphill so would like to go for a 32 or a 34 on the back. That means swapping out the rear mech to a long cage which in turn probably means upgrading from 10 speed to 11 speed which means new shifters.
New bike.

its short cage Ultegra. Think it might take a 30t

grounded

Quote from: maddog on January 27, 2022, 09:26:47 AM
Quote from: grounded on January 27, 2022, 08:29:34 AM
New bike.

its short cage Ultegra. Think it might take a 30t

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rd-6700-ultegra-ss-rear-derailleur

I think it will take a 30t. 

Out of interest, can't believe the price of components at the minute. Must have doubled or tripled in price

manfromdelmonte

New bike.
go 2nd hand. plenty of stuff crops up on facebook cycling buy and sell

JimStynes

I know a fella selling a cracking Bianchi 👀

grounded

What is going on with CI? A few very odd emails of late.

Orior

Quote from: grounded on February 23, 2022, 10:43:41 PM
What is going on with CI? A few very odd emails of late.

My guess is its in-fighting on the board, either driven by egos or just people who havent got a clue about running an organisation.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on January 26, 2022, 09:28:15 PM
Lads would a bike with Tiagra be plenty for someone who has no interest in becoming a MAMIL 😜but would like to build up to 2 or 3 hour rides?
Very little in stock at the moment anywhere but I did find a Trek Domane AL4 in a shop nearby.
My current bike is a cheap budget job from Halfords that is about 15 years old and it's a heap of shite and about 2 sizes to big for me,so anything really would be an upgrade.
Don't plan on getting mad into cycling like you boys but I'm finding it great for cross training with the running I do. The Grand Canal is literally beside where I live and there are works ongoing to have a towpath all the way to the Shannon and the Royal Canal is a couple of miles away and that stretches all the way from Maynooth to Longford, I'd imagine that's where I'd be 99% of the time and maybe doing a few laps of the Phoenix Park also. Wouldn't see myself going out on main roads or in group rides or anything.Other than that I'd have it attached to a Kickr Core on Zwift.
With that in mind is Tiagra plenty for my needs?
Also found a Giant Contend AR1 that has 105 and is about €300 more.
Right so I ended up buying a Canyon Endurace.
Was a bit wary buying a bike from Germany online as if it comes damaged it's a long way to send it back. Hasn't come yet but they sent a payment link yesterday so hopefully it comes in next couple of weeks. Anyone any experience of buying from Canyon?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on May 05, 2022, 08:23:04 AM
Lads would a bike with Tiagra be plenty for someone who has no interest in becoming a MAMIL 😜but would like to build up to 2 or 3 hour rides?
Very little in stock at the moment anywhere but I did find a Trek Domane AL4 in a shop nearby.
My current bike is a cheap budget job from Halfords that is about 15 years old and it's a heap of shite and about 2 sizes to big for me,so anything really would be an upgrade.
Don't plan on getting mad into cycling like you boys but I'm finding it great for cross training with the running I do. The Grand Canal is literally beside where I live and there are works ongoing to have a towpath all the way to the Shannon and the Royal Canal is a couple of miles away and that stretches all the way from Maynooth to Longford, I'd imagine that's where I'd be 99% of the time and maybe doing a few laps of the Phoenix Park also. Wouldn't see myself going out on main roads or in group rides or anything.Other than that I'd have it attached to a Kickr Core on Zwift.
Was a bit wary buying a bike from Germany online as if it comes damaged it's a long way to send it back. Hasn't come yet but they sent a payment link yesterday so hopefully it comes in next couple of weeks. Anyone any experience of buying from Canyon?

Laoislad i've never owned one but quite a few in the club have them. They all seem to have arrived ok but the problem the guys seem to have is we've had 5 broken frames in the last 2 years on Canyon bikes. I witnessed one of them myself and rear stay snapped like a match stick. The bikes were packaged up and sent back and as far as i know where replaced under warranty. If this was just a coincidence or not i don't know but Canyon seem to be the only bike manufacturer atm who have the smallest waiting time on their bikes.
They look nice and anyone who owned one seemed to like the way they ride too.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

heffo

I've a Canyon TT and I love it. Was going to buy a high end Canyon road bike earlier this year but it was out of stock for too long but they're great bikes.

Pm me if you have any issues with it or questions, am only over the road!

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on May 15, 2022, 07:07:09 PM

I've a Canyon TT and I love it. Was going to buy a high end Canyon road bike earlier this year but it was out of stock for too long but they're great bikes.

Cheers.
You have some collection of bikes!
When's your Ironman?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on May 15, 2022, 07:54:16 PM
Quote from: heffo on May 15, 2022, 07:07:09 PM

Cheers.
You have some collection of bikes!
When's your Ironman?

Am maxed out for space! 1st one this year next Sat

maddog

Serious performance by Hindley so take the Giro. I thought Carapaz was nailed on but he just completely blew in last 3k on Saturday. Great race and location looked amazing in last few days, especially the stage that went into Slovenia. First Aussie Giro winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 16, 2022, 08:11:45 AM
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609

He seems like a grumpy old cnut so he'll keep his distance legal when passing cyclists next time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea