FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: rosnarun on August 11, 2010, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 03:20:53 PM
I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

Sorry - I didn't know where this was going when I started.

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES
As long as they make the selves clearly understood . it does not matter how they pronounce words or spell them for that matter. it is the main strength of the english language .
refudiate my point if you must

Evidently so
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Can't believe people didn't know you can't be offside from a goal kick. :o  Higuain wasn't offside but Di Maria was.

AZOffaly

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 08:46:17 AM
Can't believe people didn't know you can't be offside from a goal kick. :o  Higuain wasn't offside but Di Maria was.

I didn't know that to be honest. I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in. I bet Shay Given didn't know that either. He went balubas and was pointing at Higuain

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2010, 09:01:41 AM

I didn't know that to be honest. I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in. I bet Shay Given didn't know that either. He went balubas and was pointing at Higuain

Agreed I don't think Given knew this...which is shocking.  After the World Cup I was close to giving up on soccer, this and the hype in England over the "retirement" of Beckham has pushed me closer to the edge

AZOffaly

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 09:19:47 AM

Agreed I don't think Given knew this...which is shocking.  After the World Cup I was close to giving up on soccer, this and the hype in England over the "retirement" of Beckham has pushed me closer to the edge

Janey that's a big reaction :D

johnneycool

What's the reasoning for the open end in the Aviva stadium?

Looks a bit silly but I'm sure there's some logical explaination I'm unaware of.

Main Street

You cant be offside if you receive the ball directly from a goalkick.

BUT THE BALL WAS PASSED (by the receiver) TO THE GOALSCORER WHO WAS IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION.

Billys Boots

Quote from: johnneycool on August 12, 2010, 09:41:02 AM
What's the reasoning for the open end in the Aviva stadium?

Looks a bit silly but I'm sure there's some logical explaination I'm unaware of.

No logical reason - politically (i.e. planning) influential residents who want to see the sun at a particular time of the day.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Quote from: Main Street on August 12, 2010, 09:51:37 AM

BUT THE BALL WAS PASSED (by the receiver) TO THE GOALSCORER WHO WAS IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION.

See my post at 8:46

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on August 12, 2010, 09:51:37 AM

Yes we know that Main Street.

But Shay Given's protests, in my opinion, were because of Higuain, that's what he was pointing at. Di Maria wasn't an obvious offside, certainly from Given's angle.

I didn't know the rule. I admit, until Razor told us.

Doogie Browser

Who does Keith Treacy play for?  Looked the part last night in the 2nd half.

Declan

QuoteWho does Keith Treacy play for?

Preston. Was with Blackburn for a while but never really fulfilled his promise

Onlooker

Shay Given has been a professional footballer for most of his life.  He has played over 100 times for Ireland and people are saying that he does not know that you can not be offside from a goal kick.  How could he not know such a fundamental rule.  What other rules does he not know?.

Capt Pat

It is a bit ridiculous having that narrow end of the ground, but I think the bottom line isthe IRFU did not want to leave their base in Dublin 4 and go to a cheaper site. They could have built a proper national stadium in terms of size and positioning, but catering to the fewer more important people who live along the dart line is more important. The site wasn't big enough and the neighbours in Havelock Square had the project cut back. I think they were going to turn the stadium around 90 degrees and have the pitch run east to west, but it is still north to south. I think that was stopped because it would have put the big stand over shadowing the local residents.

Clown

The GAA cud do with a nice, smaller stadium like the Aviva at the minute to host quarter and semi finals in, where a bit of atmosphere wud be generated, instead of the masses of empty seats at Croker we've been getting this year!

:P