Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: laoislad on December 16, 2021, 05:38:34 PM
Ukraine
Scotland
Ireland
Armenia

Could be easier. Scots and Ukraine (probably) better than us and Armenia are at least an upgrade on Azerbijan. Will the Ukraine game be played in a war zone?

rodney trotter

Quote from: mouview on December 16, 2021, 09:01:03 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 16, 2021, 05:38:34 PM
Ukraine
Scotland
Ireland
Armenia

Could be easier. Scots and Ukraine (probably) better than us and Armenia are at least an upgrade on Azerbijan. Will the Ukraine game be played in a war zone?

Or could have been worse. Slovenia, Serbia, Norway and Sweden is a tough group.

Scotland play Ukraine in the World Cup play offs in March, should be a good guage ahead of the June fixtures.

An Watcher

Can't imagine Ukraine or Armenia being great away trips but remember being in hampden back in the day for brian kerry first game I think it was.  Clinton morrison n Kilbane scored in a 2-0 win.  That was a major session.  Couldn't drink half of that now!

red hander

Quote from: An Watcher on December 16, 2021, 10:47:29 PM
Can't imagine Ukraine or Armenia being great away trips but remember being in hampden back in the day for brian kerry first game I think it was.  Clinton morrison n Kilbane scored in a 2-0 win.  That was a major session.  Couldn't drink half of that now!

On the contrary, those are the sort of trips the regular away fans love. Done Georgia (x3), Moldova and Serbia, love eastern Europe, totally changes the lazy stereotypes about those sorts of places, believe me. Kiev looks really interesting place, flew over it and spent 3 hours in the airport once. And really looking forward to Armenia, think it will be awesome trip. Glasgow? I've been in it more times than I've been in Belfast... And I live in Belfast. It'll be a one nighter. Straight in, straight out. Worst trip of the lot.

general

scotland away is a great trip - i have great memories of the night we played them at celtic park - 2014 just before christmas - unfortunatley a shaun maloney wordie beat us that night.

a group of us were up in the north stand surrounded by the scots - was all good quality banter.

An Watcher

Cheers red hander, maybe Armenia is the one then

Cunny Funt

Fixtures:

Saturday, 4 June: Republic of Ireland v Ukraine (7.45pm)

Tuesday, 7 June: Armenia v Republic of Ireland (5pm)

Saturday, 11 June: Republic of Ireland v Scotland (5pm)

Tuesday, 14 June: Ukraine v Republic of Ireland (5pm)

Friday, 23 September: Scotland v Republic of Ireland (7.45pm)

Monday, 26 September: Republic of Ireland v Armenia (7.45pm)

Ed Ricketts

Horrible schedule for those games. Dublin to Yerevan to Dublin to Kiev all in the space of 10 days in June. By contrast, Scotland start with two home games, tip over to Dublin for their third game, and then fly to Armenia for their only bit of travelling worth talking about.

Won't be much training done between games. Will be a test of squad depth too at the end of what's looking like a long, covid interrupted season.

I think people are waking up to the fact that the Nations League can be an important backdoor into tournaments for countries like Ireland, but schedules like this don't help with credibility.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

An Watcher

Is it not the fact that he stopped representing Ireland is the issue.  Now he's back so stop the press

Baile Brigín 2

He asked not to be called up so he could break his bollix at a new club. Happens all the time. Because he can declare for other countries, and lets face it, we aren't losing him to England, the press ran with a non story.

seafoid

It looks as though Doherty will be leaving Tottenham. Not good enough for that level.
Another reason why Kenny's mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí policy is correct.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

Don't think there's a massive difference between where Doherty was operating with wolves pre-move and where spurs are now.  These things happen, managers prefer different guys etc.  Think he'd jump at a move back to wolves but we'll see.  Maybe Newcastle!!

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2022, 06:22:40 AM
It looks as though Doherty will be leaving Tottenham. Not good enough for that level.
Another reason why Kenny's mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí policy is correct.

So good enough for this level at wolves and not at spurs. That doesnt make sense. Spurs are a total mess and have been for 3 yrs.