First "Misunderstanding" of the New Year

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, January 06, 2009, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

I can never understand why posters on this board are so obsessed with that OWC site..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 06, 2009, 05:52:01 PM
I can never understand why posters on this board are so obsessed with that OWC site..

You are right, lesson learnt.

/Jim.

Main Street

So you admit to being obsessed with the OWC :)

I did not read where anyone said that GAA members/supporters were scum.
Apparently, only all people who vote for Sinn Fein are scum.
Anybody who pays into a GAA game is just plain wrong to the core because they are supporting terrorism.

On that thread, Gs Pain fits into that cackling brotherhood seamlessly but as usual gets his facts twisted up with his knickers.
After nailing (what he regarded as) a GAA board lie with a bit of heresay,
he goes on about a  motion made at the time of a GAA congress 20 years ago.
In reality a motion has no other significance other than at this time and in this place we agree to have this opinion.
He thinks that a motion has a binding significance in the constitution, that somehow it has to be revisited and purged.
He thinks a 4 horse race is the Grand National, a 4 team u12 competition is the premier u12 competition in Tyrone apparently because it says so in An Phoblacht.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Main Street on January 06, 2009, 06:01:16 PM
So you admit to being obsessed with the OWC :)

I did not read where anyone said that GAA members/supporters were scum.
Apparently, only all people who vote for Sinn Fein are scum.
Anybody who pays into a GAA game is just plain wrong to the core because they are supporting terrorism.

Indeed obsession by Calvin Klein obsessed.

Can't recheck the thread to see if the distinction was made between Sinn Féin voters/GAA supporters and I don't others saw it either.  But not being able to check I could stand corrected on that.

GSpain plays fast and loose with his "facts".

/Jim.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 06, 2009, 06:15:53 PM

That cnut is a total anti GAA bigot. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

I don't post there but I read the OWC forum every now and then. To be fair some of the mods seem like total head the balls when mods should be ones keeping everyone else in check. What chance have you got if they are the ones in charge? The mere mention of the GAA seems to send some of them into apoplexies of rage which is when GSpain usually comes riding in to stoke the coals for them.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Rossfan on January 06, 2009, 06:25:57 PM

That cnut is a total anti GAA bigot. >:(
Maybe he knows dublinfella.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 06, 2009, 12:29:46 PM
Last November, on the suggestion of an OWC contributor here on the GAA board I registered on OWC.  I made a number of contributions with regard to rugby and GAA in the "Other Sports" section.  To those that have access I used the moniker "JamesR" so you can see the posts for yourselves.  I think I can safely say I threaded the middle-ground on these topics.  Apart from a bit of name-calling from one contributor (who admittedly didn't seem to actually read/understand my posts) there seemed to be a reasonable engagement.

However when I took issue with the branding of all GAA members/supporters as "scum", one moderator took issue, pm'ed me and when I went to log in to respond my account seems to have been removed.  I have to say that some contributors seem to agree with with my issue but obviously the admin side of the house didn't.

I would have liked to have continued some of the conversations, got my points across and taken on board some alternative views but there you go..............

Anyway I just said I'd post to save others the bother of registering etc.. because the policy there seems pretty clear.

/Jim.
I followed that discussion you took part in on OWC. As you say, your posts took a fairly moderate line and there were other posters who engaged in a fairly civilised fashion. It seems that it was one particular moderator - Sickboy - who took umbrage with what you were saying and who probably 'disconnected' you. In fairness, other OWC posters disagreed with his extreme position. This is a direct quote from one of the posts which immediately followed your last one and Sickboy's response:

'As you will well know, I don't make apologies for the exclusionist rules and ethos within the GAA fabric.

I do think that broadbrushing the entire membership of an organisation is unfair - people who I am proud to call friends are members of the GAA.

As Northern Ireland supporters, we know more than most about "broadbrushing".

Are we "scum" because amongst the ranks of the Northern Ireland fanbase are those who would be supportive of paramilitary activity and murder?

Are we "scum" because a minutes silence was held at an IL ground, in memory of an unapologetic member of a loyalist paramilitary organisation?

Many people were terribly damaged by the conflict. Burying a loved one is no respecter of religion or political viewpoint.

Let's encourage those within the GAA who seek positive change - those who see a bigger picture.

At least, let's recognise that there are those within the GAA who know full well that some of the rules, ethos and practices within the Association are divisive and offensive.'

Also in fairness, I'd say 99% of the posters on there aren't aware you've been banned - I wasn't until I read this thread. Of course there bigots on that Board. There are bigots on this one too, unless you're of the opinion that calling a Dundee United player a 'hun b*****d' (Celtic thread) is just a bit of banter?

gerry

their not a great fan of this site as well

QuoteI've tried registering too recently, without any success. Having read this post of yours, I didn't use the LW username in case they have a policy of blocking anyone who posts on OWC, but it hasn't made any difference. Have to say, their forum isn't up to the same technical standards as others I'd have a look at. The text is really small and difficult to read, not much thought has been given to divising different topic headings, etc. OWC beats it by a mile, as does the Munster rugby forum, and the Tartan Army one.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 06, 2009, 08:02:42 PM
I followed that discussion you took part in on OWC. As you say, your posts took a fairly moderate line and there were other posters who engaged in a fairly civilised fashion. It seems that it was one particular moderator - Sickboy - who took umbrage with what you were saying and who probably 'disconnected' you. In fairness, other OWC posters disagreed with his extreme position.

Also in fairness, I'd say 99% of the posters on there aren't aware you've been banned - I wasn't until I read this thread. Of course there bigots on that Board. There are bigots on this one too, unless you're of the opinion that calling a Dundee United player a 'hun b*****d' (Celtic thread) is just a bit of banter?

I agree with your sentiments.  All boards have issues and my original post acknowledged that most there engaged in good spirit.

Anyhow seeing as I posted here when I was "banned", I will now post to acknowledge that I received an e-mail with a new password from OWC last night. 

/Jim.

lfdown2

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 07, 2009, 09:55:38 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 06, 2009, 08:02:42 PM
I followed that discussion you took part in on OWC. As you say, your posts took a fairly moderate line and there were other posters who engaged in a fairly civilised fashion. It seems that it was one particular moderator - Sickboy - who took umbrage with what you were saying and who probably 'disconnected' you. In fairness, other OWC posters disagreed with his extreme position.

I agree with your sentiments.  All boards have issues and my original post acknowledged that most there engaged in good spirit.

Anyhow seeing as I posted here when I was "banned", I will now post to acknowledge that I received an e-mail with a new password from OWC last night. 

/Jim.

D'OH (forgot your password then)  :-[

;D ;D

Donagh

In his enthusiasm to root to particular posters of this board, I suspect that knob Sickboy, aka Private Pike banned Jim by mistake. Try again dickhead  :D

saffron sam2

Such a post Jim shows why you are in a different class to the rest of us. Having read some of GSpain's contributions to that thread, it would be impossible for me to comment on them without using the term forelock-tugging, self-loathing lick-spittle.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Evil Genius

Themmuns over on OWC - what are they like, eh? Yiz can have all the Peace Processes yiz like but no Gael will ever get justice in any Proddie Forum, that's for sure. Or maybe not?

When Jim first posted yesterday about being "banned" from OWC, before diving in with both feet*, I took a look at the site to check what was going on. When someone is banned, "Unregistered" appears beside their Profile, but JamesR's continued to show "Member", as normal. So I sent a message to one of the Mods to ask what had happened. I was then out for the evening when his reply came, as follows.

Jim was never banned (nor was there ever any consideration given towards banning him by anyone on OWC). The problem is that he entered the wrong Password when he went to log on, then (presumably) misunderstood the Message which this automatically generates. Anyhow, they have now sent him a new Password and he is entirely free to resume posting.

Moreover, Ziggy's "banning" has also been investigated and guess what? Yep, he was never banned, either. Although in his case, his mistake is perhaps slightly more understandable. In order to maintain the cost of running the site (effectively purchase more bandwidth, as the site expands), OWC introduced a "Patron" scheme, whereby regular users make a one-off £5.00 donation to the site. (This is voluntary, not compulsory, btw).

The benefit is that this allows access to one or two sections which are "Patrons Only" (nothing sinister or Masonic about these, btw - it's advance travel booking tips etc). Anyhow, at times when the Forum is especially busy (usually around international match dates), in order to prevent the site from crashing, they will temporarily introduce a "Patron Friendly Policy" i.e. only allow patrons to log on. This PFP then gets lifted as soon as traffic dies back to normal levels.

It appears that Ziggy (a Member but not a Patron) tried to Log-On during one of these periods, didn't realise it was PFP, and assumed he was banned. Not so.

So there you have it. Now about Neil Lennon... ::)

*- Get that, Gaoth Dobhair Abu and Fullback?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

full back

Brilliant, I am absolutely delighted you have cleared this up eg
Never slept a wink last night with worry

OWC really is for everyone, must rush over & sign up