First "Misunderstanding" of the New Year

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, January 06, 2009, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Last November, on the suggestion of an OWC contributor here on the GAA board I registered on OWC.  I made a number of contributions with regard to rugby and GAA in the "Other Sports" section.  To those that have access I used the moniker "JamesR" so you can see the posts for yourselves.  I think I can safely say I threaded the middle-ground on these topics.  Apart from a bit of name-calling from one contributor (who admittedly didn't seem to actually read/understand my posts) there seemed to be a reasonable engagement.

However when I took issue with the branding of all GAA members/supporters as "scum", one moderator took issue, pm'ed me and when I went to log in to respond my account seems to have been removed.  I have to say that some contributors seem to agree with with my issue but obviously the admin side of the house didn't.

I would have liked to have continued some of the conversations, got my points across and taken on board some alternative views but there you go..............

Anyway I just said I'd post to save others the bother of registering etc.. because the policy there seems pretty clear.

/Jim.

mylestheslasher

Is there a equal right authority of some sort in the north. I'd email them and tel them that a) Calling all GAA members scum should have been removed from the forum as it is prejudice and insightment to hatred and b) Being banned for standing up to this is also discriminatory.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Will be interesting to see if the OWC contributers on this board, will comment on this incident?
Jim was it Sickboy by the way?
Tbc....

Orior

1944 i think.....

Churchill: "A nation once again"

De Valera: "Feck off Chruchill, you lying coniving little shit"

In the past that's about as close as we got to stomping out owc arrogance. But the future is bright.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

full back

It will be interesteing how the cavalry reply to this
Or perhaps they just wont 'notice' this thread  :o

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 06, 2009, 12:38:08 PM
Will be interesting to see if the OWC contributers on this board, will comment on this incident?
Jim was it Sickboy by the way?

Gaoth,

It was him that made the post about "scum" and one that I tackled.  I don't know if he was behind the banning and don't want to speculate.

To be honest if it's his site, it's his perogative.  My post here was really towards those that suggest I register etc... I happened to be in an internet cafe doing some photocopying, registered a yahoo address and off I went.  I didn't pay a fiver or anything so I'm not overly put out about it.   

I don't see any point in anyone here registering to discuss GAA matters:  to be honest I get the feeling that there is an unwritten rule that if you are not a follower of Northern Irish soccer, you are not welcome.  That's fair enough seeing as that's what it's set up for. 

However I now know if I disagree with something said there about the GAA that this is the forum to discuss that and let people from over there come here.

/Jim.

haranguerer

Its awful I know, but........

I believe the hard core norn irn supporters in general to be sectarian, I dont feel the need to debate this, as far as I'm concerned its fact, which is regularly proved, most publicly by their reaction to Neil Lennon, and will be reestablished by their reaction to Niall McGinn when they next play.

Their behaviour doesn't appear to be judged like any other fans: when england play, if there are racist chants, quite rightly there is always big publicity, and strong calls for action, which is taken, yet no action is taken against norn irn for sectarian abuse.

They also have their apologists: practically every northern sports commentator, esp Jackie 'I think there were definitely fewer boos that time' Fullerton, and then ridiculous programmes are screened to show how Windsor has changed and everything is rosy. It seems to me the media are trying to push norn irn as the new belfast giants (!) - and their achievements as something we can all cheer about. Some chance - wait til the republic play there again and then judge how 'far we've come'.

So, bearing that in mind, why are you surprised/indignant at the action taken by OWC.

Did you expect any different?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: haranguerer on January 06, 2009, 01:46:15 PM

So, bearing that in mind, why are you surprised/indignant at the action taken by OWC.

I have to say that before I could no longer read it, a number of posters had taken issue with blanket application of the term "scum". 

Personally I take it at face value that some of the OWC posters (at least here) have a genuine interest and genunine issues with the GAA and that's what I wanted to discuss.   I couldn't really comment on your views on NI supporters except to say that they wouldn't agree.  I'll leave it to them to argue that with you.

/Jim.

his holiness nb

Its the mods who set the tone for the site really. If one mod is going around calling GAA scum and another is calling the GAA a racist organisation, you are clearly going to attract a particular type of poster.

Its a pity really, as there are a few decent posters there who are willing to discuss issues in a mannerly fashion no matter what your background.

Their past record of posting peoples personal info and going to confront posters in person at work over their views on a website is whats really sinister.
Did you have to give a work e-mail address, or anything that might help them reveal your identity Jim?
Ask me holy bollix

Orior

Quote from: haranguerer on January 06, 2009, 01:46:15 PM

I appreciate their different point of view and welcome exchange/banter/teasing, but the fact that they wont listen to anyone else's point of view is childish.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 06, 2009, 01:51:42 PM
Its the mods who set the tone for the site really. If one mod is going around calling GAA scum and another is calling the GAA a racist organisation, you are clearly going to attract a particular type of poster.

Its a pity really, as there are a few decent posters there who are willing to discuss issues in a mannerly fashion no matter what your background.

Their past record of posting peoples personal info and going to confront posters in person at work over their views on a website is whats really sinister.
Did you have to give a work e-mail address, or anything that might help them reveal your identity Jim?

I had got the impression that only talking GAA/rugby etc.. was okay as long as you kept to the right section. 

As I said I registered with a Yahoo address.  We are not allowed them at work but I found myself in an internet cafe doing some copying and stuff and jumped in.

I check the mail but I got no formal banning.  I can't read the thread to see if there is an explanation there. 

Some of the people debating appeared to be "admins" and they seemed happy enough to discuss items.  One guy was a bit abusive but to be honest reading his posts he seemed a bit on the slow side and wasn't really grasping the argument.

/Jim.

full back

It is laughable
IF ANYONE SAID the posters on owc are black so & so's there would be a stampede over here from the cavalry
Yet Jim gets banned for fcuk all & the isnt a whimper ::)
A poster who defends owc on occasions is probably too busy posting on the Celtic thread :o

ziggysego

I got a ban a few months ago and for nothing...
Testing Accessibility

Chrisowc

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 06, 2009, 12:29:46 PM
Last November, on the suggestion of an OWC contributor here on the GAA board I registered on OWC.  I made a number of contributions with regard to rugby and GAA in the "Other Sports" section.  To those that have access I used the moniker "JamesR" so you can see the posts for yourselves.  I think I can safely say I threaded the middle-ground on these topics.  Apart from a bit of name-calling from one contributor (who admittedly didn't seem to actually read/understand my posts) there seemed to be a reasonable engagement.

However when I took issue with the branding of all GAA members/supporters as "scum", one moderator took issue, pm'ed me and when I went to log in to respond my account seems to have been removed.  I have to say that some contributors seem to agree with with my issue but obviously the admin side of the house didn't.

I would have liked to have continued some of the conversations, got my points across and taken on board some alternative views but there you go..............

Anyway I just said I'd post to save others the bother of registering etc.. because the policy there seems pretty clear.

/Jim.

I searched for your profile and found it.  It still looks active.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Chrisowc on January 06, 2009, 05:34:43 PM
I searched for your profile and found it.  It still looks active.

When I log on I get a message about incorrect username and password.  When I use Password Recovery it tells me I do not exist:

Sorry, we don't have a member with that name in our records, please try again and double check the data you entered.

/Jim.