Looks like Keane has jumped!

Started by EC Unique, December 04, 2008, 11:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 10, 2008, 09:42:55 AM
It was a dreadful tackle, no doubt about it, and it was typical of the red mist that used to descend on Keane from time to time, especially if he was bearing a grudge, but it was not the injury that put Haaland out of soccer. If I recall correctly it was recurring injury to his other knee that caused Haaland's retirement.

I'm no major fan of Keane the persona, especially around soccer, but I have no idea about Keane the person away from the driving forces which brought out the best and worst of him. I'd love to share a couple of pints with him and have a chat about stuff to see if I could make up my own mind about that, but I suspect he'd be a sound man, according to all reports from those who've met him. Maybe he didn't like the bullshite that attends all aspects of soccer these days, and just wanted to be the best he could, and that drive made him do stupid things on ocassion, and made him feel slights and insults that maybe didn't actually exist.

However, that is not the worst flaw in a man, and plenty of others have harboured illogical grudges and/or had the red mist descend upon them at regular intervals, such as Cantona, Di Canio, and Gerrard when he was younger. Only Keane seems to inspire this media caricature of some sort of psychotic animal, always verging on mayhem. Some of the stuff Cantona did makes Keane look angelic, and some of Gerrard's tackles were far more career threatening than Keane's stupid lunge at Haaland.

I wouldn't blame him.  I don't see how anyone can genuinely be passionate about soccer in the present day.  It is full of fairies and actors.  I remember the day when it was an embarrassment for a player to lie down and Keane was one of those players who would have got to his feet, injured or not, to avoid showing weakness.  Now it is all about rolling around the ground the majority of time holding their SHINS?! Do they not f**king wear shin guards? I liked football when you had players like Keane, Ruddock, Dicks etc now you have Ronaldo, Drogba, Robben.  The game is going nowhere, I don't know why they aren't clamping down on this.

Irrelevant rant but needed to get that out.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Billys Boots

From Walsh's article:

QuoteThey wanted Keane to take the job but he wasn't sure he was ready for management and turned them down. Into the breach came Quinn and Keane went off to the FA's coaching centre at Lilleshall. He had deliberately chosen not to sign up for the course preferred by ex-professional footballers and instead found himself in the company of men who ran underage teams, Sunday league teams and, in one case, a pub team. People who had scrimped and saved to be on the course, many of whom wanted nothing from the game except the joys of involvement. Keane was in his element, their love melted his cynicism. He was ready again for the challenge of professional football.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

That sort of reinforces my opinion Billy. I'd imagine that he loves soccer the game, and wants to be the best he can possibly be, but he can't stand most of the people he has to work with to attain those goals, and he certainly can't stand the shite they come out with.

Billys Boots

That's why I'd have some sympathy with him AZ, while also being very disappointed with some of his actions.

I got my head taken off here some time back for venturing the opinion that the antics of Ronaldo/Robinho/Drogba overshadowed their skills, in the context of the role models being portrayed to kids (as an underage coach, myself).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I think I'd be of the same opinion as yourself on this Billy. I abhor some of his actions, and I still believe he was at least partly to blame for the Saipan fiasco, but I think I understand a lot more today what might be driving him mad.

laoislad

Keane heading back to Sunderland? Them the rumours...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Watcher

Just looking at the dates of this thread.  Shows how long he's been out.  Love to see him back in the hot seat for the craic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: An Watcher on February 02, 2022, 09:06:22 PM
Just looking at the dates of this thread.  Shows how long he's been out.  Love to see him back in the hot seat for the craic

Sure he managed Ipswich for 2 years since this thread was posted in, assistant manager of Ireland for 5 years and short coach spells at Villa and Forest. 
Hasta la victoria siempre

Muck Savage

I do find it strange that he hasn't been back in management. I often wondered if Sir Alex put a stop to him managing other clubs just for badness. Certainly a year or two before he left United you would say he could have become Fergusons replacement at United.

seafoid

Quote from: Muck Savage on February 03, 2022, 02:07:00 AM
I do find it strange that he hasn't been back in management. I often wondered if Sir Alex put a stop to him managing other clubs just for badness. Certainly a year or two before he left United you would say he could have become Fergusons replacement at United.
He doesn't have the skillset. Most of the top players wouldn't.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU