1916 Celebrations

Started by Orior, March 04, 2016, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Quote from: muppet on March 09, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
Good article Deiseach.

Her reference to the slums in Dublin and 'The Famine' (I hate that we call it that - it suggests there was only one famine) 68 years earlier is welcome but only scratches the surface.

At the start of the 20th century Ireland was the poorest country in Ireland. Localised famines were still happening in the West of Ireland (and surely elsewhere?) long after 'The Famine'. I have documentary evidence of famine in the West Mayo area as late as 1894. I seriously doubt the conditions that produced these famines had been dealt with by 1916.

Cromwell brought famine to Ireland in 1649-1652. The famine of 1740-1741 is estimated to have killed 38% of the population, a much higher percentage that the 1845-1849 famine. There were famines in the 1830s leading to food riots and starvation. The tithes were a cause of these famines and ironically this lead to protestant missions to help the starving in the poorer parts of Ireland. There was a big famine as late as 1879 although deaths were minimal.

In Germany there was famine in 1916 caused by the British blockade.

My point is to highlight the poverty in Ireland to a greater extent than the article. Survival was the priority for most people, certainly in the slums and most of rural Ireland.
Have you come across this Muppet? I had never about it until a few years ago but there has been a lot of work done on it lately.

''The famine of 1879 – 1880 is sometimes described as the last major Irish famine. In contrast with earlier subsistence crises, effective intervention, including assisted emigration, meant there was little excess mortality, even in badly affected areas such as County Mayo. The Mission of the Blacksod Bay Emigration database is to digitalize and make available the stories of the people of Belmullet and Achill and the descendants of those who emigrated under the assisted emigration schemes initiated by the philanthropist, James Hack Tuke, between 1883 and 1884 when 3,350 people had their passage paid to North America. It aims to document the people who left, where they came from and what happened to them in the United States and Canada; while at the same time demonstrating the impact which the exodus had on those who remained in Mayo. It is hoped that the database will help the descendants of the emigrants in North America to engage with their relations and the community in the west of Ireland, and that their shared experiences will re-establish a bond between the Belmullet and Achill areas and those areas in the United States and Canada where the emigrants settled. This is the start of a process which will strengthen the connection between the descendants of the emigrants and the home place of their ancestors.''
http://www.blacksodbayemigration.ie/

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

muppet

Quote from: ludermor on March 11, 2016, 08:17:40 AM
Good article Deiseach.

Her reference to the slums in Dublin and 'The Famine' (I hate that we call it that - it suggests there was only one famine) 68 years earlier is welcome but only scratches the surface.

At the start of the 20th century Ireland was the poorest country in Ireland. Localised famines were still happening in the West of Ireland (and surely elsewhere?) long after 'The Famine'. I have documentary evidence of famine in the West Mayo area as late as 1894. I seriously doubt the conditions that produced these famines had been dealt with by 1916.

Cromwell brought famine to Ireland in 1649-1652. The famine of 1740-1741 is estimated to have killed 38% of the population, a much higher percentage that the 1845-1849 famine. There were famines in the 1830s leading to food riots and starvation. The tithes were a cause of these famines and ironically this lead to protestant missions to help the starving in the poorer parts of Ireland. There was a big famine as late as 1879 although deaths were minimal.

My point is to highlight the poverty in Ireland to a greater extent than the article. Survival was the priority for most people, certainly in the slums and most of rural Ireland.
Have you come across this Muppet? I had never about it until a few years ago but there has been a lot of work done on it lately.

''The famine of 1879 – 1880 is sometimes described as the last major Irish famine. In contrast with earlier subsistence crises, effective intervention, including assisted emigration, meant there was little excess mortality, even in badly affected areas such as County Mayo. The Mission of the Blacksod Bay Emigration database is to digitalize and make available the stories of the people of Belmullet and Achill and the descendants of those who emigrated under the assisted emigration schemes initiated by the philanthropist, James Hack Tuke, between 1883 and 1884 when 3,350 people had their passage paid to North America. It aims to document the people who left, where they came from and what happened to them in the United States and Canada; while at the same time demonstrating the impact which the exodus had on those who remained in Mayo. It is hoped that the database will help the descendants of the emigrants in North America to engage with their relations and the community in the west of Ireland, and that their shared experiences will re-establish a bond between the Belmullet and Achill areas and those areas in the United States and Canada where the emigrants settled. This is the start of a process which will strengthen the connection between the descendants of the emigrants and the home place of their ancestors.''

Have it thanks. It is a great piece of work by whoever is behind it. It is great that you can search by townland e.g. enter Dooyork or whatever.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ludermor

Quote from: muppet on March 11, 2016, 12:09:53 PM
Quote from: ludermor on March 11, 2016, 08:17:40 AM
Good article Deiseach.

Have it thanks. It is a great piece of work by whoever is behind it. It is great that you can search by townland e.g. enter Dooyork or whatever.
Yeah its a serious resource. Its mad to see the amount of complete families who migrated and the numbers of some of the family names ( Lavelle 158, Barrett 158, Gaughan 136, Gallagher 113)

muppet

Ludermor probably better to continue this on this thread: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=16418.60
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

upthehoops

Quote from: armaghniac on March 11, 2016, 09:49:24 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2016, 04:55:34 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 10, 2016, 04:52:36 PM
http://www.irishnews.com/news/republicofirelandnews/2016/03/10/news/don-t-tell-the-bride-features-1916-rising-themed-same-sex-marriage-446117/?param=ds441rif44T
DUP heads are exploding this very minute

Some of them will be secretly rising.

Jim Molyneaux's special friend will be jealous, he'd probably love to dress as a planter.
There's nowt as queer as folk. Think that story has shocked a few ok. Amazing the notice was in Belfast Tele but only the Irish News picked up on the significance of the sub text