Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I think that election gives a glimmer of hope for south Belfast too in terms of assembly elections.No way should a duper be in in south Belfast. Sf are never going to get it and sdlp  have gone to the dogs so at least alliance may claw it away.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2019, 09:26:41 PM
I think that election gives a glimmer of hope for south Belfast too in terms of assembly elections.No way should a duper be in in south Belfast. Sf are never going to get it and sdlp  have gone to the dogs so at least alliance may claw it away.

Westminster you mean? Claire Hannah if chosen would be a much better option than Paula Bradshaw. The Alliance party are ok but let's not get carried away with them. When Anna Lo went solo just before the last euro elections about UI and NI being a colony a number in the party shat themselves and were not too pleased a rather wishy-washy statement from Forde and Long followed and they felt the need to point out that they were pro status quo.

RedHand88

Michelle O'Neill
@moneillsf
·
5h
Spoke with Karen Bradey this a'noon regarding City Deal for Derry & Strabane. This is much needed investment in the northwest and alongside investment in other projects such as the Ulster University including the medical school are vital to building a strong & vibrant community.

What could possibly have brought Derry to Michelle's attention I wonder?  :P

Rois

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 06, 2019, 11:03:51 PM

Michelle O'Neill
@moneillsf
·
5h
Spoke with Karen Bradey this a'noon regarding City Deal for Derry & Strabane. This is much needed investment in the northwest and alongside investment in other projects such as the Ulster University including the medical school are vital to building a strong & vibrant community.

What could possibly have brought Derry to Michelle's attention I wonder?  :P
And Colum Eastwood:
Been speaking to the British government over the last couple of days to ensure a City Deal is delivered for Derry. Really important that the investment is big enough to make a difference. Magee needs to be expanded. We also need match funding from Stormont. We need a government.

Both statements within 12 hrs of Karen Bradley announcing Derry's city deal...coincidence??

I wonder how much Strabane will see of it.

playwiththewind1st

A good slice of it....Daniel McCrossan will deliver.

smelmoth

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 06, 2019, 10:49:38 PM

Westminster you mean? Claire Hannah if chosen would be a much better option than Paula Bradshaw. The Alliance party are ok but let's not get carried away with them. When Anna Lo went solo just before the last euro elections about UI and NI being a colony a number in the party shat themselves and were not too pleased a rather wishy-washy statement from Forde and Long followed and they felt the need to point out that they were pro status quo.

Agree with you on Hanna vs Bradshaw. Though that point could be made for Hanna vs anyone.

On Alliance I would make 2 points.

Firstly Alliance are not aligned to Unionism or Nationalism today. Party members are free to choose
Secondly and far more importantly to assess Alliance on whether it is Unionist or Nationalist is to completely miss the point. The old story that you cannot be an atheist in NI, you have to be a Catholic Atheist or a Protestant Atheist springs to mind

Kidder81

Will this city deal be like everything else where SF & DUP dish it all out to their mates and family members ?

Kickham csc

Quote from: Kidder81 on May 07, 2019, 01:03:44 PM
Will this city deal be like everything else where SF & DUP dish it all out to their mates and family members ?

Genuine question. Are we being unfair here. NI is in the middle of a major change management program, that will last up to 50 / 75 years. One part of this change process is to ensure that impacted / target groups are brought along with the change in order to prevent them rejected the change.

The appropriate question is not one of funnelling monies to their mates, but rather how successful are Sinn Fein and the DUP in bringing impacted communities along the change management journey?

Additionally,  how well are both groups investing monies to enable that journey?

The larger community might not appreciate this activity, but if money is being invested to ensure the PP lasts, should both parties be criticised for managing the process.

charlieTully

Quote from: smelmoth on May 07, 2019, 12:39:25 PM

Agree with you on Hanna vs Bradshaw. Though that point could be made for Hanna vs anyone.

Firstly Alliance are not aligned to Unionism or Nationalism today. Party members are free to choose
Secondly and far more importantly to assess Alliance on whether it is Unionist or Nationalist is to completely miss the point. The old story that you cannot be an atheist in NI, you have to be a Catholic Atheist or a Protestant Atheist springs to mind

Are you a member of the alliance party by any chance?

seafoid

Amanda Ferguson
@AmandaFBelfast

Could we all get real here. The rest of Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales have same-sex civil marriage, abortion access, legal language protection. Which of these should British and Irish citizens in the north/Northern Ireland not have? This position is simply not sustainable.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: smelmoth on May 06, 2019, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 05, 2019, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 05, 2019, 11:00:45 PM
Yes. Sanctimony has been dripping off every one of your posts.

People will vote as they like, regardless of what you reckon to be "the only way a sane person would vote".

Well said Hard Station.

People won't be lectured.  This carry on is putting me off giving Alliance a preference in Euros.

People will vote as they see fit. Nothing wrong with a discussion forum exploring the reasons for voting in a particular way.

Marty's claim that my posts would make him not transfer to Alliance is, well humorous in the extreme.

I find it extremely difficult to get SF representatives to address certain key points. On this forum it's extremely difficult to get certain posters to engage truthfully on the same points.

Say for example Marty's claim that Martina Anderson was an excellent representative and his subsequent evasion of the point. The point that Anderson's articulacy cannot be tested against Long's because Anderson is an MEP and Long isn't is staggering in its stupidity. Calling out that stupidity is not sanctimony on my part.

On another thread I challenged the false notion (peddled by SF) that a UI would be a unitary state with no power sharing in NI. Throw that one in and some posters flee. Again very similar to the official SF tactic.

Ask for evidence of SF's record of delivery in government? All goes quiet.

Why does everything have to be viewed through SF vs DUP and which one backs down to the others demands first? We don't have to have either party if the electorate move on from them. Let's get on with it. We aren't getting anything from hanging around waiting on them to grow up.

And then we have Marty's classic- make up something that I didn't say and then dismiss it as "waffle". Have you ever seen anything as stupid??

This is a pretty good analysis of what it's like to challenge the SF supporters on this board.

smelmoth

Quote from: charlieTully on May 07, 2019, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 07, 2019, 12:39:25 PM

Are you a member of the alliance party by any chance?

No I'm not an Alliance member

marty34

Quote from: Kickham csc on May 07, 2019, 01:33:20 PM

Genuine question. Are we being unfair here. NI is in the middle of a major change management program, that will last up to 50 / 75 years. One part of this change process is to ensure that impacted / target groups are brought along with the change in order to prevent them rejected the change.

The appropriate question is not one of funnelling monies to their mates, but rather how successful are Sinn Fein and the DUP in bringing impacted communities along the change management journey?

Additionally,  how well are both groups investing monies to enable that journey?

The larger community might not appreciate this activity, but if money is being invested to ensure the PP lasts, should both parties be criticised for managing the process.

DUP ex-SpAD was on tv the other day about this funny enough.  Some 'commentator' was saying DUP/SF don't work together and everyone else complains whereas if they work together re: funding for Féile and bonfires, then it's a 'carve up'.  He said they can't win.

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on May 07, 2019, 04:35:13 PM

DUP ex-SpAD was on tv the other day about this funny enough.  Some 'commentator' was saying DUP/SF don't work together and everyone else complains whereas if they work together re: funding for Féile and bonfires, then it's a 'carve up'.  He said they can't win.

Bonfires and Féile's should always be top of the pile when doling out money.

Franko

Quote from: marty34 on May 07, 2019, 04:35:13 PM

Agree to an extent.  It's a sure sign of someone who can't think for themselves when they start to introduce these common waffle terms like 'carve-up' and 'shinnerbot'.  However, I do think there's a point here.  Why could SF and the DUP manage to work together on these issues (distributing funds directly to their support bases) but can't seem to on other, more pressing issues?

I'm not saying it's all their fault either.  I could imagine that the DUP are a lot more prone to making an agreement when they know that by doing so, they'll be given wads of cash to dish out to their mates.