VAR? For or against

Started by Denn Forever, March 07, 2019, 11:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

VAR i thought was brought in to prevent obvious fouls not picked up by the Ref.  But listening to the commentary last night the foul in the box was slight.  Who triggers the use of the VAR?  Hell of a finish though.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

TabClear

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 07, 2019, 11:37:07 AM
VAR i thought was brought in to prevent obvious fouls not picked up by the Ref.  But listening to the commentary last night the foul in the box was slight.  Who triggers the use of the VAR?  Hell of a finish though.

Its a tough one. I assume the rule is that it has to be a clear and obvious mistake for the ref's decision to be overturned as in other sports. In American Football/Cricket/Rugby etc it is usually called on for a technical decision (did the ball hit the ground, was the pass forward, did the receiver step out of bounds etc etc) The difficulty in soccer is that while its fine  for offside decisions etc, there is much more subjectivity in calls like last night where players intent has to be determined. How many times at corners does a defenders have hold of a players shirt or arms? These are much more clear cut than a handball decision but will never be referred.

north_antrim_hound

VAR isn't working
If you study the decision from last night
The defender was actually trying to pull his arm in towards his body and connected with the ball, if he keeps his arm up then no foul. It's crazy
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

TabClear

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 07, 2019, 12:30:37 PM
VAR isn't working
The defender was actually trying to pull his arm in towards his body and connected with the ball, if he keeps his arm up then no foul. It's crazy

I would tend to agree but is it the scope of VAr that needs to change? Handballs and things like trips in the box I think are too subjective. You can change your mind based on the speed you watch it at. There will always be borderline decisions but things like offside, checking whether ball went out of play etc can all be reviewed relatively consistently.

Boycey

You should add a poll??

I've said many times I'm not a fan other than in black and white decisions such as goals and offsides. Everything else comes down to one man's opinion.

Gmac

VAR isn't working
i think trying to judge if shot was on target should also be brought into the argument

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Gmac on March 07, 2019, 02:41:34 PM
VAR isn't working
i think trying to judge if shot was on target should also be brought into the argument
Does that matter? have seen plenty of penalties given for hand ball from crosses into the box.

JoG2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 07, 2019, 03:31:21 PM
VAR isn't working
Does that matter? have seen plenty of penalties given for hand ball from crosses into the box.

You'll see plenty more  as / the new ruling discussed last night. Rio Ferdinand made the point of arms being being used to balance yourself. Is it open season for boys just to ping balls off defenders arms... 'nailed on penalty' as described in another thread. Will the game be too stop start? Most games are hard enough to watch these days

GJL

Quote from: JoG2 on March 07, 2019, 03:41:47 PM
VAR isn't working

You'll see plenty more  as / the new ruling discussed last night. Rio Ferdinand made the point of arms being being used to balance yourself. Is it open season for boys just to ping balls off defenders arms... 'nailed on penalty' as described in another thread. Will the game be too stop start? Most games are hard enough to watch these days

On a bit of a side note I always wondered about guys that turn side ways/turn their backs in front of a shot. Brave defenders face it front ways with hands behind their backs.

JoG2

Quote from: GJL on March 07, 2019, 04:02:37 PM
VAR isn't working

On a bit of a side note I always wondered about guys that turn side ways/turn their backs in front of a shot. Brave defenders face it front ways with hands behind their backs.

The hands behind the back is a very new thing, especially among the Chelsea defenders. It'll have to be done by all and sundry now. Means your balance isnt what it should be and will be much tougher to react to an attacker turning you on the inside or outside

Captain Obvious

Quote from: JoG2 on March 07, 2019, 04:05:56 PM
VAR isn't working

The hands behind the back is a very new thing, especially among the Chelsea defenders. It'll have to be done by all and sundry now. Means your balance isnt what it should be and will be much tougher to react to an attacker turning you on the inside or outside

Italian defenders have been doing that for years.  One thing the VAR doesn't stop is the bar stool debates of was or wasn't it a correct decision.

JoG2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 07, 2019, 04:21:01 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 07, 2019, 04:05:56 PM
VAR isn't working

Italian defenders have been doing that for years.  One thing the VAR doesn't stop is the bar stool debates of was or wasn't it a correct decision.

My point is it hasn't been prevalent up until recently..... obviously

Esmarelda

Although I agree with the drawbacks to VAR, surely, ultimately, if a referee gets to have a second, third, fourth look at the incident, then at least we can rest assured that an informed decision has been made.

Denn Forever

It seems like VAR is being used for every goal in the Woman's World cup.  A bit excessive really.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 23, 2019, 06:18:10 PM
It seems like VAR is being used for every goal in the Woman's World cup.  A bit excessive really.

Completely nauseating
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea