We need to talk about Kieran Donaghy

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 11, 2018, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Anyone who doesn't understand how good he was ......

Honestly his hands were unreal , it wasn't just his fielding he had such a grip on the size five , animal of a 14 . Very effective for Kerry in 06 and of course 14 when we just couldn't cope with him when he came in . Aido showed him up in 17 semi in fairness .

There is one thing I notice in these Kerry boys is they are very proud of where they are from , think that is wonderful thing to have.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Therealdonald

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on September 11, 2018, 05:07:13 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on September 11, 2018, 04:23:13 PM
Always found him over-rated. Possibly the worst player to ever win PoTY. Bit of a soft touch too.

Nonsense was well able to play ball. His quick hands and unselfish play set up many scores for his team mates.

I think he was over appreciated as he was a complete media darling. Comparing him to truly great 14s is ridiculous. He couldn't lace the Bomber, McGuigan, Corkery, Murphy or even Ronan Clarkes boots.

magpie seanie

Quote from: larryin89 on September 11, 2018, 05:27:41 PM

Honestly his hands were unreal , it wasn't just his fielding he had such a grip on the size five , animal of a 14 . Very effective for Kerry in 06 and of course 14 when we just couldn't cope with him when he came in . Aido showed him up in 17 semi in fairness .

There is one thing I notice in these Kerry boys is they are very proud of where they are from , think that is wonderful thing to have.

They realise they're carrying on a tradition and appreciate the responsibility that is. And they embrace it.

As for "Aido showing him up" - I'm afraid you might want to review the games again, certainly the first day.

BennyCake

People from other counties are proud of where they come from too. It's not just a Kerry thing.

Captain Obvious

One of the last few characters of the game gone. Not only had he a great pair hands but his big arse was very useful to hold onto the ball. Happy retirement Kieran.

weareros

Quote from: BennyCake on September 11, 2018, 05:39:10 PM

People from other counties are proud of where they come from too. It's not just a Kerry thing.

Some counties just have more to be proud of. Lucky hoor, indeed.

trileacman

Not the most gifted footballer in terms of raw talent but he more than made up for it with sheer effectiveness.

Kerry would only have won half of those All-Irelands between 06-14 had it not been for him, changed the face of gaelic football with the goal v Armagh which ended the Kerry Ulster hoodoo.

There hasn't been a player who has impacted the game as much as him in the last 20 years. Kept Kerry hegemony alive in the noughties, reworked the long ball strategy into the 21st century game, almost single-handed deprived Mayo of the '14 All Ireland championship.

Personally I really hated him, he was mouthy, a bit cynical and kept alive a Kerry threat that was waning until his arrival but you have to seriously respect the greatness of him. Had he stayed in Tyrone I'd have worshiped the ground he walked on.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rrhf

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 11, 2018, 12:22:32 PM
One of the finest exponents of the old style full forward play I have ever seen. As someone who played that position most of my career it was great to see how he was able to play the game and make the players around him better by his unselfish team play and simplicity of his game. He was always 2-3 seconds faster in his head then the man marking him and when you're like that it looks like you actually don't do much but he had the ball won and simple pass away before the Full back even knew. A lot of that came too from his work on the basketball court and I remember speaking to a basketball coach friend of mine who did regular 1-1 work with him and he said he was always looking for the extra edge in both games.

Enjoy the time off Star....don't think it will be long till you're back in somewhere!
Would agree with that. One of my favourite players to watch.

Mac2

Savage player the sort of fella any team would want to see thundering out of their dressing room. He had unreal vision too, could pick out a player in half a second. Can still remember him getting ready to come on in 2014 and knowing he was going to be trouble. Couple Mayo supporters behind me saying he was finished, gobshites, he sickened our holes that day and the next day for sure da bollix. Almost did enough in the first match last year to see us off too.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on September 11, 2018, 05:50:21 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 11, 2018, 05:39:10 PM

Some counties just have more to be proud of. Lucky hoor, indeed.

Weird way to look at things.

From the Bunker

Great player! Always struck me as the kind of player that would do what ever he had to, to get his team over the line. Always the victim in any tussle. He was hard to watch from this perspective from a Partisan or Neutral view point of view.

Kerry would not have won their AI title without him or Cormac Reilly in 2014.

The Caddy

Was some operator in his prime... serious competitor and was always looking to bring the finishers around him into play... The right time to go...