Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

town1980

Since 03 my high fielder give me the names from the town who av dominated our county team,,, i nvr said who to replace creedon,,, a good united club team yes ,,,don't have some quality to play inter county that's plain to be seen ,,, there lucky they get gimps like us who follow them to county finals and beyond but does that make inter county material my sir nooooooooo,,, Aidan fennelly yeees Kevin fitz yessss Ian fitz gave up early due to work after that give me names u clown ????????ur football knowledge is limited sir ,, I want our Laois lads full of pride and yes high fielder there's none there... because no manager can inspire our teams FACT or make them BELIEVE they can achieve that's why we're div 4....

town1980

Oh and you have 14 years there to give me the names high fielder??? I'll be waiting

Tony

I wouldn't waste my time High Fielder. These lads are a right headache. Not acknowledging the clear facts. We at least acknowledge that Creedon isn't the best manager in the country by a long shot. But these other lads don't seem to acknowledge the state that laois football is in, in general, and seem to focus ONLY on creedon + his backround team. If it's so bad, why no players have left setup? I hear they have faith in setup and are determined to redeem themselves come championship. Anyway, Is a lose lose argument. Let's leave it there. I'll be tuning out until championship time. My prediction for what it's worth:

Laois to beat Longford by 4 - 6 points.
Laois to lose to Kildare by 5-7 points.
Laois to win 1 or 2 qualifiers.
The end.
See ye's in summer.

Nameless

First post here so go easy on me. I used to post on the old Laoistalk forum. Recognise some old names here and I recognise some who have changed their usernames.

I think a lot of my posts on the old forum were defending Justin McNulty and also saying what a mistake it was to get rid of him. I think everyone accepts at this stage that it was a huge blunder and the results before and after his reign proves this. We had a team that was fit, strong, organised and most of all competitive. It wasn't all perfect but it was a lot better than what we have now.

He was ran out of the county because we in Laois were too good for that 'Northern style' football, we have natural, classy footballers, let's go out and attack teams! Well how did that go for us? We're now in division 4 instead of competing in division 1 or the higher part of division 2 and we've been knocked out by Clare, Antrim and Tipperary instead of running the reigning All Ireland champions Dublin and Donegal to a few points.

It's been a complete disaster of a move and let's not fool ourselves into thinking we had better players then. A lot of the players were the same and we didn't even have Donie when we were beating Monaghan and Meath in 2012. What would be the score against those teams now?

We have also seen in the last few years that everyone has accepted that you must organise yourselves defensively to compete, everyone! Dublin thought they could outscore teams at will and Donegal taught them a lesson, Kerry have had 'the blanket defense' for a good few years now. It's time we in Laois copped ourselves on.

Despite the myth that it's not in Laois players psyche to play defensive football, it clearly is the best method for us to compete. Defending in numbers and counter attacking at pace with Donie and another player playing inside is what we're best suited too. Our best performances in the past few years have all been when using this system.

We have the players to do this. With O'Connor, Attride (when fit), Begley, O'Loughlin, O'Carroll, Donagher, McMahon, Meaney, Strong etc we have the mixture of power and pace to cause teams trouble. We are also struggling with quality backs so an organised defensive system is an obvious solution. If we can get everyone fit and focused we could even do well in this years championship.

Creedon hasn't made a good start but we should give him the championship to make a judgement. It's obvious to all that we don't have many players coming through but that's a separate issue to the current senior team. The development of players has to be done at a young age and we need serious change to how we go about this but the manager of the senior team has to work with what he has and Creedon has to do better than he has up to this.

There have been a lot of injuries though, get them right for the championship and implement the right system and I think we'll have a similar campaign to what Tony thinks above.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Nameless on April 24, 2017, 06:22:29 PM
We have the players to do this. With O'Connor, Attride (when fit), Begley, O'Loughlin, O'Carroll, Donagher, McMahon, Meaney, Strong etc we have the mixture of power and pace to cause teams trouble. We are also struggling with quality backs so an organised defensive system is an obvious solution. If we can get everyone fit and focused we could even do well in this years championship.

Welcome (back) nameless. I agree with almost everything you say except the pace part. We have power for sure but too many players that get burned too easily. O'Connor, Attride and Donagher have plenty of pace but after that, we are a pretty slow team. An organized defence also requires pace to get lads tracking back and disrupting runs. We let players run through us because we simply can't catch them. I too was a big McNulty fan. He never got the attacking system working but always said that you had to build a cultural foundation of defensive structure before evolving to that.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on April 25, 2017, 10:48:21 AM

Welcome (back) nameless. I agree with almost everything you say except the pace part. We have power for sure but too many players that get burned too easily. O'Connor, Attride and Donagher have plenty of pace but after that, we are a pretty slow team. An organized defence also requires pace to get lads tracking back and disrupting runs. We let players run through us because we simply can't catch them. I too was a big McNulty fan. He never got the attacking system working but always said that you had to build a cultural foundation of defensive structure before evolving to that.
First post here so go easy on me. I used to post on the old Laoistalk forum. Recognise some old names here and I recognise some who have changed their usernames.

I think a lot of my posts on the old forum were defending Justin McNulty and also saying what a mistake it was to get rid of him. I think everyone accepts at this stage that it was a huge blunder and the results before and after his reign proves this. We had a team that was fit, strong, organised and most of all competitive. It wasn't all perfect but it was a lot better than what we have now.

He was ran out of the county because we in Laois were too good for that 'Northern style' football, we have natural, classy footballers, let's go out and attack teams! Well how did that go for us? We're now in division 4 instead of competing in division 1 or the higher part of division 2 and we've been knocked out by Clare, Antrim and Tipperary instead of running the reigning All Ireland champions Dublin and Donegal to a few points.

It's been a complete disaster of a move and let's not fool ourselves into thinking we had better players then. A lot of the players were the same and we didn't even have Donie when we were beating Monaghan and Meath in 2012. What would be the score against those teams now?

We have also seen in the last few years that everyone has accepted that you must organise yourselves defensively to compete, everyone! Dublin thought they could outscore teams at will and Donegal taught them a lesson, Kerry have had 'the blanket defense' for a good few years now. It's time we in Laois copped ourselves on.

Despite the myth that it's not in Laois players psyche to play defensive football, it clearly is the best method for us to compete. Defending in numbers and counter attacking at pace with Donie and another player playing inside is what we're best suited too. Our best performances in the past few years have all been when using this system.

Creedon hasn't made a good start but we should give him the championship to make a judgement. It's obvious to all that we don't have many players coming through but that's a separate issue to the current senior team. The development of players has to be done at a young age and we need serious change to how we go about this but the manager of the senior team has to work with what he has and Creedon has to do better than he has up to this.

There have been a lot of injuries though, get them right for the championship and implement the right system and I think we'll have a similar campaign to what Tony thinks above.

Sense at last, don't know if you wanted to be associated with me but I think these two are on point.  Pace is key but you don't have to be overly skilful to be good defensively just organised,fit, hardworking and willing. 

Dave like the tv channel

Welcome back Nameless...you'll be fine. Just trying to figure out who Huey is.

redsetanta

Reading Jack Nolans column on Laoistoday.ie and he makes a point of having a go at underage coaching standards in the county over the past few years.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

OTF

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on April 25, 2017, 12:17:11 PM
Welcome back Nameless...you'll be fine. Just trying to figure out who Huey is.

High fielder   ?

I cant figure anyone else except the obvious

Unlaoised

Any word on injuries and how things are going I was away there so im out of sync
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoisabu

We hammered Sligo in our last challenge game. Not sure of the score. Hopefully things have improved since the Offaly game.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Laoisabu on April 27, 2017, 11:43:00 PM
We hammered Sligo in our last challenge game. Not sure of the score. Hopefully things have improved since the Offaly game.

Things MUST have improved, it's been a long time since we hammered anyone... :)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

It was a B Laois team who played Sligo so can only imagine

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on April 28, 2017, 01:38:51 AM
Quote from: Laoisabu on April 27, 2017, 11:43:00 PM

Things MUST have improved, it's been a long time since we hammered anyone... :)
How long has it been since we played Carlow, thats usually our go to hammering.

town1980

Just out of o Moore park wher we played Carlow in a practice... we won 1-11 to 11.... in one of the worst games I have seen,,, Shocking shocking shocking stuff