Leinster Minor Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 07, 2016, 01:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clubber Lang

Laois minors weren't exactly impressive last year losing badly to Meath in their first game, beaten well in Leinster final and Galway were far too strong for them in the All-Ireland quarter final. We ended up in a Leinster final mainly due to Meath, Dublin, Kildare all ending up on one side of the draw after the opening series of games if my memory serves me correct. While I wouldn't have removed Rooney from the role I wouldn't be confident in saying he would have done much better with this group of players than the current management are doing. Laois GAA is now on a par with counties like Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Wicklow at underage level. Unfortunately, we need to accept where we are at. Management can only work with the players that are there. Laois supporters need to stop comparing our current minor teams to the teams from 1995-2007. A decade or more has passed. Hard luck to the lads today. They gave it their best shot and they can't be faulted for that. It was a close game with Louth getting the crucial goal in extra time to edge it.   

SCFC

Quote from: Clubber Lang on April 22, 2017, 08:52:05 PM
Laois minors weren't exactly impressive last year losing badly to Meath in their first game, beaten well in Leinster final and Galway were far too strong for them in the All-Ireland quarter final. We ended up in a Leinster final mainly due to Meath, Dublin, Kildare all ending up on one side of the draw after the opening series of games if my memory serves me correct. While I wouldn't have removed Rooney from the role I wouldn't be confident in saying he would have done much better with this group of players than the current management are doing. Laois GAA is now on a par with counties like Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Wicklow at underage level. Unfortunately, we need to accept where we are at. Management can only work with the players that are there. Laois supporters need to stop comparing our current minor teams to the teams from 1995-2007. A decade or more has passed. Hard luck to the lads today. They gave it their best shot and they can't be faulted for that. It was a close game with Louth getting the crucial goal in extra time to edge it.
My understanding is that Mark Rooney wanted big money to stay on and county board couldn't meet his terms.

BallyroanAbu

Rooney got lucky last year, however it would be wrong to say he was looking for big money.  I think it was the cost of running the team over shot and he was not prepared to work at nearly half the budget.  Presume the money was diverted to Senior Management.

SCFC

Just on the game itself, I thought Laois deserved a penalty at the end of extra time. Looked clear to me.
On the team, I thought the keeper was solid enough. Full back line did well enough with O'Flynn looking a fine prospect. Wing backs Saunders and Slevin also impressed me.
Whelan and Kinsella finished with 6 points each but both mixed the good with the bad. We never really clicked up front. Dunne and Coffey had a few good moments but Owens, Barry and Comerford all disappointed me.
One of the most frustrating things was our failure to disrupt their short kick out strategy. Time and again Louth found a free man with ease. No sweeper, it shouldn't have happened so easily.
Meath next. Will be a tough one I'd imagine.

Giovanni

I don't know enough about these players to know whether they're talented or not. On the evidence of that game, I thought we had better footballers than Louth (although some of our shooting was very poor indeed). Some of the refereeing decisions were pretty bizarre too and that certainly didn't help.

The thing is, however, that Louth worked harder. The very best teams will have workrate and talent. All the rest can at least have the workrate. We looked like we didn't have very much of either. We have a very tough one next but at least there's a chance to redeem ourselves.

For what it's worth, I thought Tyrell from Camross looks like he could become a very good player (if he's willing to work at it and he's coached properly).

ILikeStrawberryJam

Saw the highlights on tg4 ..  laois were robbed based on the small bit they showed ..

Penalties awarded and not so were baffling ..

Tony

HOW was that NOT a peno at the end. Just watch, this isn't rugby. Look at 8:55 of this video. I was at the town end of the stand and knew it was a peno at the time, how did ref not give that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkZEfs9_jk

redsetanta

Just a couple of points.

On the highlights there Louth scored a point on 4.20 and after breaking up a Laois attack the ball went the length of the pitch without being kicked once, in fact there wasn't even one solo, before being kicked over the bar. Very little kick passing from Louth in those highlights. Not the way football should be played imo.

Laois can feel badly after that. Missing the penalty having scored the goal when the foul was committed. Certainly looking at the footage if Louth were awarded a penalty for that coming together then the tackle on the Laois forward was a stonewall penalty. You also had the ref overruling the umpires for a Louth point.

Based on the hightlights Laois looked the better footballers but from reading reports they kicked poorly at the Louth goal. Sometimes the better option is to pass to a better placed teammate than going for the spectacular. All in all they can feel hard done by but have a second chance but Meath must be really kicking themselves after throwing away a 10 point lead so they must be handly enough and will be mad to redeem themselves.
I can't see Louth doing too much in the campaign.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Wondered it on Saturday, but why are we wearing the old jersey?

Tony

That minor game is really getting my back up. At the match I thought the louth penalty was a foot block and fairly given. Now on closer inspection at 8.05 in that video, clearly just hits the back of the knee. Terrible decision for ref being so close. Hate making excuses but we were robbed. One clear pen for us not given, a pen for them given when it shouldn't have been amongst other poor decisions. It's hardest on the players as they're training hard and for bad decisions by the ref to dictate your success is hard to take.

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on April 26, 2017, 10:02:25 AM
That minor game is really getting my back up. At the match I thought the louth penalty was a foot block and fairly given. Now on closer inspection at 8.05 in that video, clearly just hits the back of the knee. Terrible decision for ref being so close. Hate making excuses but we were robbed. One clear pen for us not given, a pen for them given when it shouldn't have been amongst other poor decisions. It's hardest on the players as they're training hard and for bad decisions by the ref to dictate your success is hard to take.
Thats still a foot block. The Laois defender ran into the player as he was taking a kick. Tough on the defender, but by the letter of the law, a penalty.

The pull down was a penalty also, and most likely a black card into the bargain.

The first penalty shouldn't have been given as there was an immediate advantage.

But the Louth one was definitely a penalty also. You can't just run into a players leg as he is kicking the ball, regardless of where he strikes you when you do.

Tony

RULE 5 AGGRESSIVE FOULS
5.12 To block or attempt to block with the boot
when an opponent is kicking the ball from the
hand(s).

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
(i) Caution the offender; order off for
second cautionable foul.
(ii) Free kick from where the foul occurred
except as provided under Exceptions of
Rule 2.2.

Where abouts does it say that if a player hits the ball off the back of your knee, it's a free or penalty to them?

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on April 26, 2017, 02:34:15 PM
RULE 5 AGGRESSIVE FOULS
5.12 To block or attempt to block with the boot
when an opponent is kicking the ball from the
hand(s).

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
(i) Caution the offender; order off for
second cautionable foul.
(ii) Free kick from where the foul occurred
except as provided under Exceptions of
Rule 2.2.

Where abouts does it say that if a player hits the ball off the back of your knee, it's a free or penalty to them?
You think a footblock only pertains to the foot area? Try that in a match and see how you go.

Tony

I'm reading the definition of the rule book and it clearly states the word "boot". Not knee, thigh or arse. If we're going by the words of the rule book, that wasn't a peno. Otherwise, the rules need to be a LOT less vague. I've seen a lot of penalties given for actual blocks by the BOOT but I haven't seen any like that one. Anyone have ANY other footage of a pen for any team been given where someone strikes the ball off someones back knee, thigh or arse?

If I was to ask the referee why it was given, why is it he could say "it was a foot block", when it struck the back of the knee (the popliteus fossa). That needs to be sorted. GAA rules can be very vague but if we're taking it word for word, that is not a penalty kick.

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on April 26, 2017, 03:00:35 PM
I'm reading the definition of the rule book and it clearly states the word "boot". Not knee, thigh or arse. If we're going by the words of the rule book, that wasn't a peno. Otherwise, the rules need to be a LOT less vague. I've seen a lot of penalties given for actual blocks by the BOOT but I haven't seen any like that one. Anyone have ANY other footage of a pen for any team been given where someone strikes the ball off someones back knee, thigh or arse?

If I was to ask the referee why it was given, why is it he could say "it was a foot block", when it struck the back of the knee (the popliteus fossa). That needs to be sorted. GAA rules can be very vague but if we're taking it word for word, that is not a penalty kick.
Its a footblock and a penalty.