Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 07, 2016, 10:42:44 PM
Heard that we have brought in a Darragh Cross player as well as a Tullylish player?
Anyone hear that?
Johnstone app playing well for the Lish but thought he was already on the panel?
Maybe a few Div 1 players would be better than Div 2 players at this stage.

OgraAnDun

The biggest problem in midfield for me was the fact that Down (any time this year I have seen them) cannot seem to win breaking ball. Whether the man breaking it is simply not good enough to direct the breaking ball to a red jersey, or the opposition are simply better at it, it is rare to see a breaking ball in midfield being picked up by a Down man. It wasn't helped on Sunday by the fact that the kickouts regularly went to men that were outnumbered. I remember one occasion specifically in the second half were Murphy and McKernan were 2 on 1 with loads of room but Kane opted to kick out to Maginn (I think) on the left wing who was outnumbered about 3 to 1.

east down gael

Quote from: Smurfy123 on Today at 10:42:44 PM
Heard that we have brought in a Darragh Cross player as well as a Tullylish player?
Anyone hear that?
Johnstone app playing well for the Lish but thought he was already on the panel?

Players people on here been crying out for going on two years now

Benny coulter division one team
Dan Gordon division two team
Martin clarke division two team
Caolan mooney division two team
Paul mccomiskey division four team

I'd be happy enough with the best players in the county playing for the county regardless of which parish they happen to be from.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 07, 2016, 11:31:58 PM
The biggest problem in midfield for me was the fact that Down (any time this year I have seen them) cannot seem to win breaking ball. Whether the man breaking it is simply not good enough to direct the breaking ball to a red jersey, or the opposition are simply better at it, it is rare to see a breaking ball in midfield being picked up by a Down man. It wasn't helped on Sunday by the fact that the kickouts regularly went to men that were outnumbered. I remember one occasion specifically in the second half were Murphy and McKernan were 2 on 1 with loads of room but Kane opted to kick out to Maginn (I think) on the left wing who was outnumbered about 3 to 1.

100%
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

snoopdog

Quote from: east down gael on June 07, 2016, 11:46:45 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on Today at 10:42:44 PM
Anyone hear that?

Players people on here been crying out for going on two years now

Benny coulter division one team
Dan Gordon division two team
Martin clarke division two team
Caolan mooney division two team
Paul mccomiskey division four team

I'd be happy enough with the best players in the county playing for the county regardless of which parish they happen to be from.
Exactly. It's not the premier league where all the best players come from the big clobs. Maybe that's the problem.

Mike Tyson

Can anyone post the Down Club Allstars team & nominees to see how many are on the panel?

Surely these were the best players in Down last year so should have been asked.

redandblackareback

I see in the irish news today Davidson from Bredagh is away to Antrim, any Bredagh posters any information on what sort of player he is?

The buck stops here with the county board selection committee whoever they may be, they appointed an inept manager who unfortunately for him is clearly out of his depth and the players know that also which reflects in the lack of belief and effort in the second half on Sunday.

Can anyone actually clarify who exactly appoints managers in this county? Can we have names please of the people responsible for this process?

TheClutch

Quote from: Mike Tyson on June 08, 2016, 11:16:14 AM
Can anyone post the Down Club Allstars team & nominees to see how many are on the panel?

The full List of nominees for the O'Reilly Transport Club Down Allstars are as follows:

Goalkeepers:
Stephen Kane (Kilcoo)
Mark Reid (Bryansford)

Backs:
Aaron Branagan (Kilcoo)
Daryl Branagan (Kilcoo)
Conor Doyle (An Ríocht)
Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan)
Tommy McElroy (Bredagh)
Gerard McGovern (Burren)
Shane McNamee (Mayobridge)
Daniel Morgan (Castlewellan)
Darren O'Hagan (Clonduff)
Robbie White (Ballyholland)
Midfielders:
Dan Gordon (Loughinisland)
Paul Greenan (Kilcoo)
Shane Harrison (Glasdrumman)
Stephen Rooney (Ardglass)

Forwards:
Cathal Arnold (Saul)
Aidan Burns (Castlewellan)
Connaire Harrison (Glasdrumman)
Gareth Johnston (Tullylish)
Jerome Johnston (Kilcoo)
Ryan Johnston (Kilcoo)
Rory Mason (Loughinisland)
Donagh McAleenan (Warrenpoint)
Shay Miller (Glenn)
Ryan O'Hare (Ballymartin)
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

knockitdown

2015 Team of the Year: Steven Kane (Kilcoo); Aaron Branagan (Kilcoo), Gerard McGovern (Burren), Daryl Branagan (Kilcoo); Conor Doyle (An Ríocht), Robbie White (Ballyholland), Daniel Morgan (Castlewellan); Dan Gordon (Loughinisland), Paul Greenan (Kilcoo); Shay Millar (Glenn), Aidan Burns (Castlewellan), Ryan Johnston (Kilcoo); Rory Mason (Loughinisland), Connaire Harrison (Glasdrumman), Jerome Johnston (Kilcoo).

Down (SFC v Monaghan): Steven Kane; Gerard Collins, Gerard McGovern, Darren O'Hagan; David McKibbin, Aidan Carr, Darragh O'Hanlon; Peter Turley, Kevin McKernan; Conor Maginn, Mark Poland, Joe Murphy; Conaill McGovern, Connaire Harrison, Barry O'Hagan.

3 of last years all star team started on sunday. The 2 Johnstons were injured.

10 of last years all star team are not on the panel

Mike Tyson

Quote from: TheClutch on June 08, 2016, 11:25:26 AM

The full List of nominees for the O'Reilly Transport Club Down Allstars are as follows:

Goalkeepers:
Stephen Kane (Kilcoo) - On panel
Mark Reid (Bryansford) - On panel

Backs:
Aaron Branagan (Kilcoo) - No
Daryl Branagan (Kilcoo) - No
Conor Doyle (An Ríocht) - No
Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan) - No
Tommy McElroy (Bredagh) - No (probably not an option)
Gerard McGovern (Burren) - On panel
Shane McNamee (Mayobridge) - No
Daniel Morgan (Castlewellan) - No
Darren O'Hagan (Clonduff) - On panel
Robbie White (Ballyholland) - No
Midfielders:
Dan Gordon (Loughinisland) - No (said he wouldnt go back so can rule him out)
Paul Greenan (Kilcoo) - No (Australia at the minute can rule him out too)
Shane Harrison (Glasdrumman) - No
Stephen Rooney (Ardglass) - No

Forwards:
Cathal Arnold (Saul) - No
Aidan Burns (Castlewellan) - No (Australia too)
Connaire Harrison (Glasdrumman) - On panel
Gareth Johnston (Tullylish) - Has he left the panel?
Jerome Johnston (Kilcoo) - Injured
Ryan Johnston (Kilcoo) - Injured
Rory Mason (Loughinisland) - No
Donagh McAleenan (Warrenpoint) - No
Shay Miller (Glenn) - No
Ryan O'Hare (Ballymartin) - No (works in London so probably not an option)

As far as I'm aware this is the status of these players. Does anyone think anyone excluded from the panel but on this list should have been given a chance? Or is there a reason they haven't been given a chance?

TheClutch

Quote from: Mike Tyson on June 08, 2016, 11:38:15 AM
Quote from: TheClutch on June 08, 2016, 11:25:26 AM

Goalkeepers:
Stephen Kane (Kilcoo) - On panel
Mark Reid (Bryansford) - On panel

Backs:
Aaron Branagan (Kilcoo) - No
Daryl Branagan (Kilcoo) - No
Conor Doyle (An Ríocht) - No
Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan) - No
Tommy McElroy (Bredagh) - No (probably not an option)
Gerard McGovern (Burren) - On panel
Shane McNamee (Mayobridge) - No
Daniel Morgan (Castlewellan) - No
Darren O'Hagan (Clonduff) - On panel
Robbie White (Ballyholland) - No
Midfielders:
Dan Gordon (Loughinisland) - No (said he wouldnt go back so can rule him out)
Paul Greenan (Kilcoo) - No (Australia at the minute can rule him out too)
Shane Harrison (Glasdrumman) - No
Stephen Rooney (Ardglass) - No

Forwards:
Cathal Arnold (Saul) - No
Aidan Burns (Castlewellan) - No (Australia too)
Connaire Harrison (Glasdrumman) - On panel
Gareth Johnston (Tullylish) - Has he left the panel?
Jerome Johnston (Kilcoo) - Injured
Ryan Johnston (Kilcoo) - Injured
Rory Mason (Loughinisland) - No
Donagh McAleenan (Warrenpoint) - No
Shay Miller (Glenn) - No
Ryan O'Hare (Ballymartin) - No (works in London so probably not an option)

As far as I'm aware this is the status of these players. Does anyone think anyone excluded from the panel but on this list should have been given a chance? Or is there a reason they haven't been given a chance?

Just thinking here, how are these nominations made? Do the club nominate their own players or do they nominate players from different clubs within their division?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

speculative

Quote from: bannside on June 07, 2016, 06:36:46 PM
Youse are hilarious. Back to laying all the blame with a county secretary. Question. Do you have the players in the county at minor u 21 or senior to challenge for titles. No seems to be the current consensus here. But go ahead and blame the whole lot on one man.

Some keyboard warriors on here wait to see how many of you stick your hands up. Yes Down deserve better but the decline simply can't be put down to one man. That's ludicrous. If it's that bad why are your club delegates not doing something about it.

Question: Why are there not the players at youth level?
Answer: Inadequate structures set by the Down County Board
Conclusion: County Board are to blame

Verticalball

Would be interesting to find out whether Alan Davidson was approached, could simply be that he wouldn't consider Down as an option and that he would only play for Antrim. Cathal Arnold is a very good player and would certainly deserve a call up.  Surely there will be a few additions to the panel considering the number of players who walked away after the league and last week.

east down gael

Seeing as his club manager in the same article was criticising the fact he wasn't given a trial I think it's safe to assume he wasn't approached.

guevara

Part of the problem lies in the fact the same faces get called onto the County time & time again, even if their performances at Club level have been sub-standard for some years. A perfect example of this would be Kevin McKernan & Benny. Benny hasn't been Mayobridge's stand out performer for about 5 years yet people are hailing him as some sort of saviour of Down.
Kevin McKernan is almost anonymous anytime I have seen Burren play in the past 3/4 seasons yet is one of the supposed leaders of our County Team? There is something seriously wrong there.

Things need changed from the very top down. There are too many people involved who enjoy being involved for the glamour it brings come the Summer.

There needs to be a better structure to our League system & the best players on show in the league should represent the Down Senior Football Team - Simple. But more often than not Club politics gets dragged into the mix and we end up year on year with the same 20 odd faces that haven't performed the year before.

I think many on this forum could highlight better footballers that are not currently involved in the County set up.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan