Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 07, 2016, 01:03:18 PM
Lads the whole set up is a joke
I see another 3 lads walked out on Friday night after the team was announced now if that was a tight knit group that would not happen
We have selectors who don't even attend club matches
A rugby coach as number 2
A secretary who is along the line making changes during matches
A panel that was out together with no trial matches
14 players out training 12 days ago
Marty Clarke who was not even asked to join the squad
We brought in 1 player after the league campaign and he was a keeper who handed Armagh 3 goals in the 21s
The whole set up is that of an average club side and the sooner the powers that be realise that before it's to late as the better players this year will not even go back next year and we will be poorer

Where you not saying a week or two back that there were great vibes coming out of the camp and everything was rosey??

Smurfy123

I did
I'll hold my hands up I was wrong
The real reports normally come out after a defeat
How wrong was I

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 07, 2016, 01:25:18 PM
I did
I'll hold my hands up I was wrong
The real reports normally come out after a defeat
How wrong was I

I had heard similar though so maybe take both the reports before and after the match with a pinch of salt.

Verticalball

Well folks, new member, here's my take on things. By my reckoning you could count up to 23 players who are not available at the minute after the latest withdrawals;

Benny coulter, Conor laverty, Paul mccomiskey, Peter fitzpatrick, Dan gordon, Conor garvey, Niall madine, Arthur mcconville, Niall mcparland, Declan rooney, Jerome johnstone, Ryan johnstone, Caolan mooney, Martin clarke, James colgan, Jamie o'reilly, Kevin duffin, Niall branigan, Kalum king, Danny savage, Ryan Boyle, Luke Howard, Packie Downey.

Now there are the likes of James Colgan and Jamie O'Reilly but I included them as they are examples of players who were allowed to drift away. Colgan watched an all ireland final from the bench in which we were being cleaned out in midfield and he should have been thrown in. He barely featured after that. O'Reilly was a serious talent and perhaps more could have been done to keep him involved. Obviously some other players are injured but the rest could all have been involved with better man management. Look at the contrast with Monaghan's approach regarding Finlay and Clerkin, Donegal with Kavanagh, Tyrone with Joe McMahon. They understand the value of having these guys about. Perhaps the current management and indeed the previous management have been too worried about putting the noses of some players out of joint by taking the experienced lads back in around March or April, instead of everyone realising that it would be in the best interests of down football. Management should be able to get people to buy into that approach. I have to say that the argument that we need to forget about the older players and build for the future doen't stand up anymore. Quite simply, the best players in the county should be there regardless of age. Kerry have lads at 36 years of age chomping at the bit and bringing the younger players on. Management need to reflect, man up and ask Clarke, Gordon, Laverty and anyone else who is an option to return to training this week. If others don't like it then they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Verticalball on June 07, 2016, 02:08:03 PM
Well folks, new member, here's my take on things. By my reckoning you could count up to 23 players who are not available at the minute after the latest withdrawals;

Benny coulter, Conor laverty, Paul mccomiskey, Peter fitzpatrick, Dan gordon, Conor garvey, Niall madine, Arthur mcconville, Niall mcparland, Declan rooney, Jerome johnstone, Ryan johnstone, Caolan mooney, Martin clarke, James colgan, Jamie o'reilly, Kevin duffin, Niall branigan, Kalum king, Danny savage, Ryan Boyle, Luke Howard, Packie Downey.

Now there are the likes of James Colgan and Jamie O'Reilly but I included them as they are examples of players who were allowed to drift away. Colgan watched an all ireland final from the bench in which we were being cleaned out in midfield and he should have been thrown in. He barely featured after that. O'Reilly was a serious talent and perhaps more could have been done to keep him involved. Obviously some other players are injured but the rest could all have been involved with better man management. Look at the contrast with Monaghan's approach regarding Finlay and Clerkin, Donegal with Kavanagh, Tyrone with Joe McMahon. They understand the value of having these guys about. Perhaps the current management and indeed the previous management have been too worried about putting the noses of some players out of joint by taking the experienced lads back in around March or April, instead of everyone realising that it would be in the best interests of down football. Management should be able to get people to buy into that approach. I have to say that the argument that we need to forget about the older players and build for the future doen't stand up anymore. Quite simply, the best players in the county should be there regardless of age. Kerry have lads at 36 years of age chomping at the bit and bringing the younger players on. Management need to reflect, man up and ask Clarke, Gordon, Laverty and anyone else who is an option to return to training this week. If others don't like it then they shouldn't be there in the first place.

decent first post. welcome aboard
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

downup

I have held off until today before reading the backlash I knew would come on this discussion board. And yes, we were well and truly hammered but honestly what did you expect!!! Did people somehow think that just because it was championship that we were going to unearth some wonder players out of somewhere or that our league form was going to just disappear. Its quite simple, we just didn't have the quality, ability or talent available to us to put it up to a seasoned experienced good football team like Monaghan on their home turf for 70 minutes. Surely we can all call for heads to roll but unless you are either prepared to step up and take the various positions or have people in mind to do so then what is the point in ranting about it. We are typical outside the wire supporters, when things are going well we jump on the band wagon and when things are going bad we stick the knife in and turn it as much as we can. So as a result of Sunday, who is going to step up to affect change? Who is going to run for the various positions we are calling heads to roll in?

speculative

Quote from: downup on June 07, 2016, 02:13:18 PM
I have held off until today before reading the backlash I knew would come on this discussion board. And yes, we were well and truly hammered but honestly what did you expect!!! Did people somehow think that just because it was championship that we were going to unearth some wonder players out of somewhere or that our league form was going to just disappear. Its quite simple, we just didn't have the quality, ability or talent available to us to put it up to a seasoned experienced good football team like Monaghan on their home turf for 70 minutes. Surely we can all call for heads to roll but unless you are either prepared to step up and take the various positions or have people in mind to do so then what is the point in ranting about it. We are typical outside the wire supporters, when things are going well we jump on the band wagon and when things are going bad we stick the knife in and turn it as much as we can. So as a result of Sunday, who is going to step up to affect change? Who is going to run for the various positions we are calling heads to roll in?

I don't think this is the forum to nominate people for positions, I would have quite a few in mind none of which are part of the county board at present or any GAA administration for that. Vision doesn't usually coincide with those who take roles within any administration role in general. We have a huge multi national company sponsoring us, run by some very smart and visionary guys, why can we not sound out their input and their vision?

It is my honest opinion that anyone, and I mean ANYONE could do a better job than those currently in charge. Danny Hughes hit the nail on the head today in the Indo- we are at least 20 years behind!!

Out with the old, in with the new!!

downup

Yes Speculative it is not the forum for nominations but saying that anyone would be better isn't much use. These are admiral thoughts but are you going to pursue these visionary people and ask them for their input to see what ideas they come up with and either bring these ideas to the county board or join the board yourself. Why don't you lead the way and become the start of 'The New'.

bannside

Youse are hilarious. Back to laying all the blame with a county secretary. Question. Do you have the players in the county at minor u 21 or senior to challenge for titles. No seems to be the current consensus here. But go ahead and blame the whole lot on one man.

Some keyboard warriors on here wait to see how many of you stick your hands up. Yes Down deserve better but the decline simply can't be put down to one man. That's ludicrous. If it's that bad why are your club delegates not doing something about it.

thewobbler

Quote from: bannside on June 07, 2016, 06:36:46 PM
Youse are hilarious. Back to laying all the blame with a county secretary. Question. Do you have the players in the county at minor u 21 or senior to challenge for titles. No seems to be the current consensus here. But go ahead and blame the whole lot on one man.

Some keyboard warriors on here wait to see how many of you stick your hands up. Yes Down deserve better but the decline simply can't be put down to one man. That's ludicrous. If it's that bad why are your club delegates not doing something about it.

Okay, respond to this then. In terms of infrastructure, player development, and end product, the gap between Down and the prominent Gaelic Football counties has been widening for 20 years. It's a problem that gets habitually reinforced around this time of year. This year's was a particularly rude awakening.

That's what the majority of your "keyboard warriors" are complaining about.

bannside

I understand your frustration and yes youse do need a new think tank and new men to step up. But that's a massive job and will take years. I don't see your much maligned county secretary objecting to anything progressive and I'd say if there was a new wave of enthusiasm...like what was created in Antrim so it can be done....then your secretary would be in a great place to facilitate that - not block that.

I have had run ins with our county secretary and chairmen too but they all do have the best interests of the county at heart and would greatly welcome with open arms any worthwhile initiative if it goes through the proper channels. And not on an anonymous discussion forum.

snoopdog

Lads i assume sunday was our biggest ever championship defeat? In last 60 years anyway

SHEEDY

Quote from: snoopdog on June 07, 2016, 10:21:05 PM
Lads i assume sunday was our biggest ever championship defeat? In last 60 years anyway
according to the sunday game it was our biggest defeat ever in championship football.  :-[
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

Heard that we have brought in a Darragh Cross player as well as a Tullylish player?
Anyone hear that?
Johnstone app playing well for the Lish but thought he was already on the panel?

BarryBreensBandage

My short and simplistic view is that Down got cleaned out in midfield 2nd half and that is why we got hammered.
Not enough emphasis on retaining the ball.
Fair play to the players and management for their commitment - I hope they have a good start to the Longford game, get a bit of confidence back, go on to win and show us how well they can play.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".