Premier League 2019/20

Started by Boycey, June 10, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: sid waddell on August 01, 2020, 08:34:35 PM
Fat Frank's managerial performance there was hilarious.

Throroughly outplayed and outfoxed by a coach who actually knows what he's doing, a panicked triple substitution summed things up, his body language throughout was atrocious. You look at Arteta and see a guy who comes across really well, with good man management skills and tactical nous, you look at Frank and see a self absorbed, entitled dickhead.

Frank went to private school because his Dad was a footballer, and votes Tory. In the eyes of the English press that automatically makes him smart. But going to private school because you come from a wealthy background and voting Tory does not make you smart. It might get you a life peerage, maybe Frank will be belatedly added to yesterday's list for that performance, it would be in keeping with the rest of the list.

Frank is a dunderhead, a mediocrity promoted way beyond his level of ability due to privilege. He's also the latest in a long line of former "macho man", "old school" midfield general managerial mediocrities, following in the footsteps of Souness, Robson, Keane and Gerrard (and I loved two of those as players).

But management is a different skill set entirely. You need an actual brain and people skills to manage which is why these guys don't cut it, and why old school products of UK football don't cut it anymore in management. It'll take the newer, more socially aware generation of British footballers coming through as coaches in 10-15 years' time to change that.

Up there with the most idiotic post of 2020 for me lads.

Blowitupref

Eddie Howe leaves Bournemouth by mutual consent.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2020, 10:59:14 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 01, 2020, 09:59:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2020, 09:34:51 PM
Jesus!!! Champions league football secured, was unlucky with the red card today, was barely a foul never mind a second yellow. Dominated most of the game I felt and last throw of the dice was making three subs as he'd lost two players through injury and had only one opportunity to put on subs due to this new rule!

Outstanding players don't always make good managers, plenty fail. But he's been doing it a wet week ffs! And going to private school? WTF votes Tory? Automatically makes you a shit manager! ?
But I didn't say going to a private school or voting Tory automatically makes you a shit manager. I said it doesn't automatically make you a good one.

Chelsea were thoroughly outplayed. If they'd put in that performance under Sarri supporters would have been howling for the manager's head but Frank gets a pass because of who he is.

54 goals conceded in 38 league games. Frank has winged it in a big way this season with other clubs around Chelsea's level having poor seasons, with a low points total required for fourth place. Even Manchester United in third are a very mediocre team who got a big kick from one very good signing. Chelsea were taken apart in Europe by Bayern Munich and if Munich want to they could give Chelsea a serious thrashing next week. I don't see Arsenal and Spurs being as poor again next season as they were for much of this season and I expect a reckoning is not too far off for Frank.

60/40 possession... were you actually watching another game?
They did SFA with it, which is another giveaway of a poorly coached team

Arsenal bossed them when it mattered and where it mattered and always looked likely winners from 25 minutes on

Frank can chalk the possession stats down as a moral victory though

Main Street

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 30, 2020, 10:37:29 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 30, 2020, 09:46:38 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 29, 2020, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2020, 04:38:26 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 29, 2020, 04:27:28 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2020, 04:13:44 PM
Lads, there are millions invested in the EPL, Bournemouth are going down and are a club that are likely gonna struggle to get back up. There may be any number of clauses that cover what happens in the field etc etc but a lot of the time these types of cases are played through the court of public opinion. I know if I was advising Bournemouth I'd be going for it given how blatant the mistake was and the fact that it was acknowledged as a mistake. You or I may never know it happened because of confidentiality but I wouldn't be surprised if a deal is done

Didn't West Ham have to pay Sheff Utd years ago over the EPL rules regarding 3rd party player ownership? There is a sniff of a chance

Yeah they ended up paying them £18m over Carlos Tevez playing and he wasn't correctly registered.
A rule was broken for Tevez,
not remotely resembling a precedent for Bournemouth to hang their hat on.

There is a tweet from the company that runs Hawkeye, can't exactly remember the wording of it which would be important. But basically they apologised for a malfunction at that time. Which is a walkover in legal terms.....but they could not have foreseen how the rest of the season would go.

Without knowing the exact ins and outs of the case and the whys, it's not "out there" to suggest Bournemouth to launch an appeal, whether it would go anywhere I highly doubt considering how much of the rest of the season was to go after this incident and we've no idea if Bournemouth in the mean time have been clever and already lodged something over it with the Premier League at the time.

I do see a scenario however where Hawkeye/EPL just throw money at Bournemouth to make this go away without the need for court action.

That is exactly the point that I am saying. I deal with confidential and without prejudice agreements every single day. The amount of decisions that are made purely on a financial basis or on a reputational basis when it comes to settlement of cases is unreal. I genuinely believe that whoever is acting on behalf of Bournemouth should be saying to them to push for it as there is enough to make Hawkeye and the EPL very uncomfortable, particularly under current circumstances.
Now you sound like a charlatan  ambulance  chaser BC. You are grasping at straws, not evidence  ;D
Are you not aware that any dispute goes to arbitration, not court action.

Hawk-Eye,  had been checked  and found working by the ref.
There wasn't  a fault with the goal-line technology system.
A pure freak occurrence that Hawkeye did not catch the ball over the line, a  1/9000 chance (up to now)
Therefore no fault when the laws have been applied.
And VAR was available.
The ref has the final say.
The  referee's decision on whether or not a goal has been scored shall be final.
Law 5.2  Decisions shall be made to the best of the referee's ability, in accordance to the laws of the game, and the spirit of the game, and shall be based on the opinion of the referee, who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the laws of the game. The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final. The decisions of the referee and all of the match officials must always be respected.'

Bournemouth will not get one penny.

Capt Pat

Fulham are playing Brentford in the richest game in world football. Fulham are on top but might miss Mitrovic who is on the bench. 0-0.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 04, 2020, 08:27:29 PM
Fulham are playing Brentford in the richest game in world football. Fulham are on top but might miss Mitrovic who is on the bench. 0-0.

Brentford keeper caught napping there.

Capt Pat

He was being a bit cheeky going out that far and Bryan took advantage. Fulham got home 2-1 in the end and will be in the premier league next year.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 04, 2020, 10:39:29 PM
He was being a bit cheeky going out that far and Bryan took advantage. Fulham got home 2-1 in the end and will be in the premier league next year.

Fulham it is then.  Perhaps the playoffs final experience helped them.  Brentford could be raided a little as some of their players are in big demand by lower PL clubs.  Watkins and Benrahma would be high on a few lists.

Estimator

Quote from: lurganblue on August 05, 2020, 08:58:17 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 04, 2020, 10:39:29 PM

Fulham it is then.  Perhaps the playoffs final experience helped them.  Brentford could be raided a little as some of their players are in big demand by lower PL clubs.  Watkins and Benrahma would be high on a few lists.

A transfer clause has kicked in following their defeat to Fulham.  He is available for £18mill.
Ulster League Champions 2009