The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

If we don't beat that outfit by 10-15 I'll be disappointed.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 19, 2023, 04:07:08 PM
What's the feeling on the beer debate?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/time-to-ban-the-booze-at-aviva-1.4839373

I know from going to games that it is just an excuse for a sess, but if you take away the badwagon the rugby community in Ireland is not that big, so what do they do?
As someone who has tried very hard to get into the sport after marrying into a rugby following family, I think I speak for the majority of GAA and soccer fans in Ireland that we can see why rugby gets a disproportionate amount of coverage in the media.

It's boring lads, plain and simple. There's the odd good game (I'm not defending soccer as I'm a GAA man) but it's a hard watch.

It's the 1st of February today and there's barely a word about anyone "looking forward to the 6 nations" or at the water cooler in offices across the country (apart from D4).

If it was the week of the premier league starting in august or the all Ireland championship first round it would be hopping.

Is it any wonder the beer is needed. When you're in round Dublin on an aviva match day for the rugby I've rarely seen anything other than a session even from South Africans and all opposition supporters who've travelled in.

Maybe if Ireland were to win the World Cup things would change but I don't think so. The excitement isn't there, there's about 5/6 decent teams in the world , very small competition.

Bit like the AFL and NFL, if you're struggling to sleep switch them on

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on February 01, 2023, 10:17:12 AM

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/time-to-ban-the-booze-at-aviva-1.4839373

I know from going to games that it is just an excuse for a sess, but if you take away the badwagon the rugby community in Ireland is not that big, so what do they do?
As someone who has tried very hard to get into the sport after marrying into a rugby following family, I think I speak for the majority of GAA and soccer fans in Ireland that we can see why rugby gets a disproportionate amount of coverage in the media.

It's boring lads, plain and simple. There's the odd good game (I'm not defending soccer as I'm a GAA man) but it's a hard watch.

It's the 1st of February today and there's barely a word about anyone "looking forward to the 6 nations" or at the water cooler in offices across the country (apart from D4).

If it was the week of the premier league starting in august or the all Ireland championship first round it would be hopping.

Is it any wonder the beer is needed. When you're in round Dublin on an aviva match day for the rugby I've rarely seen anything other than a session even from South Africans and all opposition supporters who've travelled in.

Maybe if Ireland were to win the World Cup things would change but I don't think so. The excitement isn't there, there's about 5/6 decent teams in the world , very small competition.

No harm to ye but slide on. We don't care!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 01, 2023, 10:18:05 AM

No harm to ye but slide on. We don't care!

I've the dates at the local with the lads for the next few weekends, great days out and afternoon drinks with burgers and shouting at the big screen!! What's not to like?

If you want boring look at Chelsea
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Try and get a ticket for Ireland v England or Ireland v France and see how you get on!

BrotherMore6592

Even if the tickets were available they're seriously out of reach for the average person. Crazy prices for an autumn international never mind a six nations game.

I do agree with Milltown Row though it's good craic for pints in a pub. So removing the beer from the aviva would more than likely harm the numbers

Walter Cronc

6 Nations, Premier League and latter stages of GAA championship are all tough going for the average person!

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 01, 2023, 08:33:58 AM
Gatland has a massive job to get Wales right for the World Cup.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Estimator

Quote from: seafoid on February 01, 2023, 03:17:53 PM
Gatland doesn't look to be team building for the future, looks like its all about this year.
Ken Owens capt at 36, AWJ second row 37
Another 6 >30's in the starting line-up
With 4 more in the replacements.
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

He has to start including some younger players but  in some positions such as full back they don't have anybody .

seafoid

thewobbler

Quote from: Estimator on February 01, 2023, 03:30:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 01, 2023, 03:17:53 PM
Gatland doesn't look to be team building for the future, looks like its all about this year.
Ken Owens capt at 36, AWJ second row 37
Another 6 >30's in the starting line-up
With 4 more in the replacements.

It's a little startling for me that Wales are able to call on so many test match healthy professionals in their 30s.

Maybe the game isn't quite the health hazard  I've lately presumed it to be.

JPGJOHNNYG

On paper Ireland should walk it with a bonus point however Wales have a habit over the years of being rather shit and still winning championships and grand slams.

gallsman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2023, 06:00:16 PM
Maybe the game isn't quite the health hazard  I've lately presumed it to be.

Ever see George North play rugby?

smelmoth

...... I think I speak for the majority of GAA and soccer fans in Ireland that we can see why rugby gets a disproportionate amount of coverage in the media.

Not sure if you are complaining of too much or too little rugby coverage but it would be fair to say that if we were currently ranked No1 in soccer that there would be a fair bit of coverage of soccer in the mouth of a major tournament

Commercial organisations will put out coverage people are interested in. There is obviously an interest in rugby