1,500 Civil Servants face sack in the North

Started by Colonel Cool, July 06, 2007, 08:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Cool

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6274740.stm

She sounds more like a trade union shop steward than a Minister. There are far too many civil servants in the north anyway. I'm sure 1,500 wouldn't be missed. The sickness levels in Margaret Ritchies Department are a disgrace. If she sorted that out she wouldn't need so many staff.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

An Fear Rua

I read somewhere this week that 63% of people in the 6 are employed by the civil service!!!! :o
Its Grim up North

Balboa

The perception about civil service sick levels dont apply as much anymore, the figures that were released a few weeks ago were misleading, they included people on long term sick so their sick leave was distorting everyone elses figures. The civil service have clamped down on sick levels in a big way in the last few years. The real culprits when it comes to sick leave are the council workers in Northern Ireland.

Long time dead

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 06, 2007, 09:20:13 AM
I read somewhere this week that 63% of people in the 6 are employed by the civil service!!!! :o

And 0.5% actually work.

Donagh

Well I know quite a few 'civil servants' and they all treat sick periods as part of their holiday entitlements.

Balboa

Quote from: Donagh on July 06, 2007, 09:30:13 AM
Well I know quite a few 'civil servants' and they all treat sick periods as part of their holiday entitlements.

And so they should  ;)

Long time dead

Ditto - "I'm off this week - have sick leave to use" - wtf lazy bastards.

Balboa

Quote from: Long time dead on July 06, 2007, 09:33:29 AM

Well you get an "allocation" so it would be rude not to use it, as long as you dont rip the arse out of it.....

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I can understand sickness due to work-related stress though - there's a lot of anally-retentive so-called 'managers' in the civ / councils that make work hell.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Orior

I once tried that thing they call "work".

Didnt like it at all, so stayed clear of it ever since.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Long time dead on July 06, 2007, 09:33:29 AM

Why the hell not, I'd do it to, so would you!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Square Ball

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 08, 2007, 11:52:24 AM
I think the 63% figure may be a bit high. In a population of 1.5 million and say roughly 750000 are in employment (the other half would be made up of school children, the elderly and the unemployable), that would leave 472500 in the Civil service. Now my starting figures are just a guesstimate, but I think it shows that the fugure would be a lot less than 63%.
I would actually welcome the loss of any jobs in the Civil Service. Far too many people are employed by the Government in what is basically an excercise to keep the unemployment figures down. Let the North stand on its own two feet, if it cant, then who really cares.

Me for a start!!!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Yes, there are changes to be made within the NICS, get rid of all the skivers, people on long term sick with feck all wrong with them, in the private industry they would have all beed sacked ages ago.

Square Ball

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 09, 2007, 07:08:53 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 06, 2007, 09:20:13 AM
That's the case in South Belfast, but across the north its around the 30% mark. Outside of Belfast & Derry, it seems to be around 20-25%.

and 78% of stats are made up  ;)

ExiledGael

1500 eh, thats nearly the amount of members on the board now, maybe they've caught on to the dossing and GAA boarding going on during government time!