Whale Wars

Started by Puckoon, August 30, 2010, 10:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

A post by iceman the other day "Kill the whales and feed the children" and the fact that this show was on all weekend on Animal Planet got me thinking about this thread. Do any of you watch this TV show, or keep up to date with what these activists do on a daily basis for months at a time? They basically take on a fleet (5-6 ships) of Japanese whaling companies and try to interfere with their whaling on the high seas.

Lunatics and activists. Certainly committed to their cause however.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_Wars

J70

Never watched it, so I've no idea whether they are lunatics.

More generally, I do contribute to various wildlife conservation organizations though. Its easy to sit on the sidelines and call activists lunatics or misguided or whatever (not referring to these specifically... you may well be right!), but someone has to be out there fighting the good fight or there'd be no environmental or wildlife protections whatsoever.

The Real Laoislad

QuoteA post by iceman the other day "Kill the whales and feed the children"

I agree with the Iceman
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerry

i watch a couple of their  shows of them in a old boat breaking throught ice after the whaling boat.  Makes you think the rest of us have 9 to 5 jobs, kids and a mortage and these guys spend their life hunting whale catchers.  On a bright note they did not see kildare geting robbed by benniy's squareball yesterday.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Quote from: J70 on August 30, 2010, 11:19:37 PM
Never watched it, so I've no idea whether they are lunatics.

More generally, I do contribute to various wildlife conservation organizations though. Its easy to sit on the sidelines and call activists lunatics or misguided or whatever (not referring to these specifically... you may well be right!), but someone has to be out there fighting the good fight or there'd be no environmental or wildlife protections whatsoever.
exactly.

I'm sure those hunting whales are worried about feeding the children.  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

I am not trying to be disparaging by calling them lunatics - but being surrounded by 5 harpoon vessels who want to sink you, in the middle of nowhere while throwing stink bombs at a factory whaling ship - is above and beyond the call of duty in my mind. It is dangerous scary stuff, and I think just a matter of time before one of the activists gets seriously hurt.

J70

I'm sure its good for ratings and getting a contract for another season though!

Hardy

What in the namajaysus are they doing to the English language?

Puckoon

Quote from: Hardy on September 02, 2010, 09:00:41 PM
What in the namajaysus are they doing to the English language?

There's that shower of feckers popping up again. They are ruining everything.